Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:41 PM

56 posts, read 42,128 times

Advertisements

Anyone who says there isn't a central NJ either isn't from NJ or has never lived in central NJ. Central NJ is a real thing.

There's a wikipedia page and craigslist page for Central NJ. Those who say Central NJ doesn't exist are in denial. Me personally I consider anything below Freehold and Trenton to be South Jersey. Anything from Keansburg to below on the shoreline is considered Jersey Shore. Atlantic City for example could be considered both Jersey Shore and South Jersey but you would probably just call Long Branch on the Jersey Shore.

Anything above Woodbridge is North Jersey. We have four regions. North, Central, South, Jersey Shore. Debating about it is rather ridiculous.

Last edited by Aedra; 07-10-2018 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 04:47 PM

56 posts, read 42,128 times
I also find it ridiculous that New Jersians are such cucks that they let New Yorkers tell them what their own geography is. Grow some balls and take back your football teams you NJ wimps.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:51 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedra View Post
Anyone who says there isn't a central NJ either isn't from NJ or has never lived in central NJ.
Or from South Jersey. There's really no Central Jersey to us. If it's not South Jersey, it's North Jersey.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:51 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
I grew up in Central Jersey. Generally the region is between 287 and 195. The northern border is South Plainfield. And Jackson anchors the southern border. Obviously the northern and eastern parts of the region are oriented toward NYC. The western area is geared towards Philly. And the south is Jersey Shore.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 AM

91 posts, read 82,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Or from South Jersey. There's really no Central Jersey to us. If it's not South Jersey, it's North Jersey.
That's a very old perspective, rooting back to a time when there was just one area code for Central/North Jersey (201), before Turnpike had multiple lanes starting at Exit 6, and 295 had expanded, and back when there was less Asian immigrant influence in Central NJ. Also before when Philly was a major employment center for Cherry Hill/Mt. Laurel, when the employment income came from a job in Philly. Philly is still a huge employment center, but so is Mercer County (Central NJ), Wilmington and other cities and towns in PA outside of the city now.

There is a major difference driving from Cherry Hill up to South Brunswick vs. Cherry Hill all the way up to Paterson. The drive from Cherry Hill to South Brunswick isn't all that different in distance than Cherry Hill to Mays Landing (an intra South Jersey drive). Intra South Jersey- Cherry Hill and Mays Landing are Philly influenced. But being Philly influenced only means so much. Ask someone in Mt. Laurel or Haddonfield to take a trip down to Egg Harbor City or Vineland. The Haddonfield or Mt Laurel resident wouldn't find the town similar, and would find more in similarity with Princeton or South Brunswick.

Last edited by tyrell12; 07-11-2018 at 01:01 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 05:46 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedra View Post
I also find it ridiculous that New Jersians are such cucks that they let New Yorkers tell them what their own geography is. Grow some balls and take back your football teams you NJ wimps.
NJ has a high educational attainment, we don't care about football.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
I would say the part of NJ where the zip codes start with 08.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
I always believed there's a Central Jersey as it's a transitional part of the state going towards South Jersey from North Jersey as the landscape and openness changes imho.

There are those who also believe in strictly the old NORTH JERSEY 201 area code and SOUTH JERSEY 609 area code areas.

I as a kid used to call Sub sandwiches Hero's as the deli's in SE Bergen County used to advertise that sandwich as such and probably an old term now, only since I moved to Southern NJ it's a Hoagie but I think of Bogey or Bogus instead lol!

Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
10 miles north and south of the Raritan river is central NJ.

NJ consists of north, south, west central and central

NJ div of fish and game clearly defines north and south jersey.

New Gretna considers Forked river north jersey.

wherever you stand on NJ soil, look to the west and everything to your right is north jersey and everything to the left is south jersey.

In reality there is no north or south jersey, that is a general direction.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:42 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I've heard it said time and time again that Central Jersey doesn't exist, how everything is North or South. I find this hard to believe, Six Flags and Trenton have to be Central Jersey right? As does the shore between Toms River and Asbury Park. What else would that be considered?
It certainly exists, but I disagree with your boundaries. For example, the central jersey shore is from Manasquan Inlet to Sandy Hook Bay. South of manasquan inlet, and all of barnegat bay, is south jersey. Culturally, economically and even scientifically these are distinct areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey