Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 12:00 AM

91 posts, read 81,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Except I never claimed that North Jersey was monolithic. Quite the contrary. I would only contend that it's all North Jersey (to us, in South Jersey). There would be even greater culture shock than in your example for a hypothetical Newark resident who travels to the backwoods of Sussex County. But it doesn't change the fact that it's all North Jersey.

The South Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia are only superficially similar to areas of NJ further north (sidestepping whether they are "Central" or "North" Jersey)--e.g., roundabouts, traffic, etc. This is not a matter of whether a place is more rural or suburban. There are deeper cultural differences.

South Brunswick is not really on many people's radar in the areas off exits 3 or 4 of the Turnpike. It's all about Philadelphia, the Shore, etc. You do get some people who commute between that area and what you would call Central Jersey, but it's not a very large number, and hardly justifies your position.

From my last post, I mentioned Mercer County up to South Brunswick. You clipped out any reference to Mercer County, knowing I meant up to South Brunswick, in my example, and twisted it to be about just that town (South Brunswick) on South Jersey residents' radar. I listed South Brunswick because Dow Jones has an office there, or it's the 08540 zip code, but identifies it as Princeton, as it's better marketed as such. Anyways, once one goes more north on Route 1, it becomes less commutable for many in South Jersey. Also clever how all the 295 exit towns between exit 4 to exit 7 are omitted from your point.

Everyone I know that does this commute from Cherry Hill and Mt. Laurel to towns like Lawrenceville, West Windsor, Hamilton, Princeton/South Brunswick, Cranbury, Pennington, will say that is to Central NJ. You can have your opinion, but you don't represent South Jersey in the main NJ forum to make South Jersey appear uneducated to not know these differences.

Last edited by tyrell12; 07-13-2018 at 12:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 06:31 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I'm on your team, man.

I was born in Hudson County NJ.

Me too at Christ Hospital in Jersey City, NJ.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,952 times
I grew up in North Plainfield. I used to have a 45 rpm promotional jingle from the 1950s with the lyrics, "Shop the Plainfields, shop in all the Plainfields, Central Jersey's finest place to shop." So, somebody back then did have a concept of Central Jersey.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:36 AM

32,775 posts, read 36,014,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegoldfield View Post
I grew up in North Plainfield. I used to have a 45 rpm promotional jingle from the 1950s with the lyrics, "Shop the Plainfields, shop in all the Plainfields, Central Jersey's finest place to shop." So, somebody back then did have a concept of Central Jersey.
I fondly remember a Central New Jersey. It was the 1960s and we were from PA, so what did we know? Now, Ocean County is supposedly in Northern NJ because the people who live there follow New York pro teams. What? I don't care what they watch, read, or eat, but Toms River isn't in Northern NJ.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:09 PM

18,576 posts, read 10,500,280 times
.......here,again.

https://bestofnj.com/nj-regions-page

Old 07-30-2018, 06:49 PM

5,030 posts, read 2,233,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Generally this.

Though I bet Union County would be debated here. I've heard arguments both ways for Union County, and don't have a strong opinion myself.

I also know people who would dispute Monmouth and Mercer.
I'm in Union County, and consider us Central.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
If that is what you believe, Union County residents, then you are misinformed.

Middlesex County is the northernmost Central NJ County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If that was the case, then Somerset and Hunterdon Counties would not be a part of Central NJ, and I don't know anyone who believes that those counties are located in Northern NJ.

Oh my. I repped the wrong person, lol. Union is certainly Central. It's even in my location on the profile. You also say Virginia isn't the South. You're thinking entirely geographically, when there's also culture that needs to be factored in.

Hey, Retriever. I was trying to say 'thank you', but gave it to Creamer1.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,551,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If that was the case, then Somerset and Hunterdon Counties would not be a part of Central NJ, and I don't know anyone who believes that those counties are located in Northern NJ.
It's who you know, I suppose.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:49 PM

32,775 posts, read 36,014,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Oh my. I repped the wrong person, lol. Union is certainly Central. It's even in my location on the profile. You also say Virginia isn't the South. You're thinking entirely geographically, when there's also culture that needs to be factored in.

Hey, Retriever. I was trying to say 'thank you', but gave it to Creamer1.
He said that?

Old 07-30-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
He said that?

Quote:
This reminds me of when I debated folks, saying I don't consider Virginia "The South" - it's in the middle of the Eastern Seaboard.

Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey