Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 753 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from college in TX and accepted an offer to work in Parsippany, NJ. I’ve been looking for places to live around Parsippany but wanted some input on what cities I should look in. I want to be close enough to NYC that I can make a trip by train on weeknights for sporting events and such. I really haven’t driven in snow much so I don’t want to be too far from Parsipanny for when it snows as well. What places would you recommend that are affordable and have lots to do for a bachelor like myself? I will be renting and want to pay no more than 1,800 a month.

Last edited by ematthews13; 06-04-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 11:40 AM

128 posts, read 168,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematthews13 View Post
I recently graduated from college in TX and accepted an offer to work in Parsippany, NJ. I’ve been looking for places to live around Parsippany but wanted some input on what cities I should look in. I want to be close enough to NYC that I can make a trip by train on weeknights for sporting events and such. I really haven’t driven in snow much so I don’t want to be too far from Parsipanny for when it snows as well. What places would you recommend that are affordable and have lots to do for a bachelor like myself? I will be renting and want to pay no more than 1,800 a month.
Look into Morristown, NJ. It's close to Parsippany and has direct train access to NYC. Morristown is popular with the younger crowd and has lots of bars and restaurants that cater to them. Try Madison and Chatham as well which are in the same area. All are very nice suburban towns. Morristown will be the least expensive. Don't know if $1,800/mo is going to get you much there without roommates but give them a try. NJ as I'm sure you've heard is a very expensive place to live but it's expensive in large part because there are lots of high paying jobs here.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:57 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
Look into Morristown, NJ. It's close to Parsippany and has direct train access to NYC. Morristown is popular with the younger crowd and has lots of bars and restaurants that cater to them.
Morristown is definitely the first town that comes to mind, in view of the OP's criteria.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:30 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times
Quote:

Not that this should be the deciding factor in where you live, but you should know that the New York Giants, New York Jets, and New York Red Bulls all play in NJ despite bearing “New York” in their name.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:28 AM

10,486 posts, read 7,019,483 times
Quote:
Dont worry about snow, we have less than 5 days a year where you need to worry about driving in it, just buy a set of snow tires and you will be in better shape than most if you want to drive through the storms.

Also another thing, you will probably find is that once you come to NJ you probably will never go to NYC. Your entire social circle will most likely form in NJ and people just dont go into the City as its just a pia especially on off peak hours.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:36 AM

128 posts, read 168,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Dont worry about snow, we have less than 5 days a year where you need to worry about driving in it, just buy a set of snow tires and you will be in better shape than most if you want to drive through the storms.

Also another thing, you will probably find is that once you come to NJ you probably will never go to NYC. Your entire social circle will most likely form in NJ and people just dont go into the City as its just a pia especially on off peak hours.
Very true but for someone that has never experienced NYC before, there will be a lot of fun things for him to do and experience there, especially when he has out of state visitors. When we have visitors seems to be about the only time that we ever go into the city but we always have fun when we do and say that we need to do it more often but rarely do.

The OP will discover that NJ is highly underrated. The nice parts of NJ like the Morris-Somerset-Hunterdon county area are some of the nicest suburbs in the country. Beautiful homes and neighborhoods, green rolling hills, world class restaurants, a four season climate, and countless places to go and discover on weekend getaways within a few hours drive. We've had lots of out of state family and friends visit us from all over the country over the past 45 years and they are always blown away by how beautiful it is.

The downsides of high taxes, high cost of living, excessive traffic, and just too many people are all real but there are also a lot of good things about the nice areas of NJ.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:06 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
Don't worry about driving in snow. Most of the time, the roads are fine enough to travel slowly on and everyone else will be going slowly. I wouldn't let those very few days per year dictate where you live.

If you want to be closer to NYC to experience more of the city life, I'd suggest Hudson County. $1800 will be tight for living alone in Hoboken and Jersey City, but they're really the epicenter of New Jersey's young college grads. Parking sucks, but I pay for a garage. I used to commute to Paterson from the Journal Square neighborhood of Jersey City. Parsippany is a bit farther, but if you don't mind driving, it's basically an entire reverse commute from Hudson County. Then, on nights and weekends, you can use PATH to get into Manhattan 24/7/365 if you want that type of social life.

If you prefer the suburban lifestyle, but just want access to NYC once in a while for bigger events, then I would agree that Morristown is a great place to look. It has a train line to either Hoboken or Manhattan for the times you want to venture into Manhattan, or at least over into Hoboken for a change of scenery and more nightlife/younger crowds.

Also, if you can afford anything in Montclair, there are a lot of young people there as well. It has a train line also that goes to either Hoboken or Manhattan. It's closer to Hudson County and NYC than Morristown, but likely more expensive and the drive is a bit further from Parsippany.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:54 AM

862 posts, read 977,536 times
Morristown is the place to be if you are young and you are going to be working in Parsippany, the closer the apartment is to the center of town like where Starbucks is the better. Morristown is very close to Parsippany and near the center of town is like a small city complete with many bars restaurants and nightlife.

The downside to Morristown is that rent can be expensive in the more desirable area's with many new "luxury rentals" but I am sure if you looked there may be less expensive apartments but stay in the nicer sections of Morristown so check out the neighborhood first, also Morristown and "Morris Twp" are separate and not the same place. Morristown has a train station with direct trains to NYC.

Other "younger people" area's are Hoboken, some parts of Jersey City (longer commute with little or no parking and traffic) and maybe parts of Montclair near Urban Outfitters is but that is still a ride to Parsippany.

Otherwise just move to a regular town like Parsippany and have mostly families for neighbors and have cheaper rent.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM

146 posts, read 123,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
Look into Morristown, NJ. It's close to Parsippany and has direct train access to NYC. Morristown is popular with the younger crowd and has lots of bars and restaurants that cater to them. Try Madison and Chatham as well which are in the same area. All are very nice suburban towns. Morristown will be the least expensive. Don't know if $1,800/mo is going to get you much there without roommates but give them a try. NJ as I'm sure you've heard is a very expensive place to live but it's expensive in large part because there are lots of high paying jobs here.

Good luck.
This is a New Jersey forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey