Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 01:09 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,114,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
The anti Murphy rants continue.
Yeah, it's so unfair. Murphy isn't even the one doing the latest stupid thing (the tap water tax). We should save the anti-Murphy ranting until he gets back to it; it won't be long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 PM

18,576 posts, read 10,505,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
What do you disagree with? Instead of complaining, perhaps you could engage in a respectful debate. Up to you.

Unfortunately, New Jersey has had poor leadership for some time. In my view, 98% of what Governor Murphy has done so far will make our state less affordable, our economy worse, and do nothing to improve our credit rating and overall fiscal health.
LOL, "instead of complaining".....practice what it is you preach. You have done nothing but post anti Murphy this or that .Yes, you have all your postings are all anti Murphy hard to find any that are not anti Murphy unless you calling some names.

So what do you do when you get back on C+D .....yup , start up the anti Murphy stuff all over again.

The Man has been in Office 6 months give or take, just stop with all the made up trump like "alternative facts". I don't know if he is good or bad yet,I know he is certainly is doing better and more for the state then the former fat guy who shut it down and went to the beach when no one else could.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM

856 posts, read 699,856 times
Quote:
LOL, "instead of complaining".....practice what it is you preach. You have done nothing but post anti Murphy this or that .Yes, you have all your postings are all anti Murphy hard to find any that are not anti Murphy unless you calling some names.

So what do you do when you get back on C+D .....yup , start up the anti Murphy stuff all over again.

The Man has been in Office 6 months give or take, just stop with all the made up trump like "alternative facts". I don't know if he is good or bad yet,I know he is certainly is doing better and more for the state then the former fat guy who shut it down and went to the beach when no one else could.
I apologized for my calling Governor Murphy's supporters dumb six months ago, and I am not interested in engaging his supporters in nasty exchanges with name calling. I am interested in policy discussions both with those I agree and disagree with. The difference between you and I is, I apologized for my insults six months ago and don't take what people say out of context.

I'm afraid you missed where I posted sources for my claims. Nothing I said is false. I'm sorry you, just like President Trump, believe anything you disagree with is "fake news" but it just isn't so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, it's so unfair. Murphy isn't even the one doing the latest stupid thing (the tap water tax). We should save the anti-Murphy ranting until he gets back to it; it won't be long.
Fair point.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:47 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,206,167 times
Ok, I’ll debate...
1- what do cpa’s Know about government economics? They know about taxation and valuation of companies and depreciation. Now if they had surveyed economists I’d read the article..
2- legal immigrants as well as citizens are eligible for state financial aid. Illegal immigrants need to show tax returns or show that they are on govt assistance in order to be eligible. How many do you think file? Undocumented are not eligible for govt assistance. Also undocumented are not eligible for the bulk of govt financial aid which through fafsa, the state part is much smaller. Irl to get federal grants your income needs to be VERY low.
3- don’t know enough
4- all citizens should have some affordable healthcare. If other states don’t think so then shame on their elected officials. If it is not mandated then the younger people will not opt into the pool and drive up costs. Maybe Nj should create it own exchange? I don’t know. The opt out of Obamacare without the penalty will not be in effect until next year so let’s see how things play out.
4- let’s see if this means everyone gets big raises and taxes rise because of contract negotiations. My guess is that it won’t happen because citizens don’t have an appetite for it. If a town needs to raise taxes to pay off pension obligations or big lawsuits or because a large Corp closes its location and no longer contributes to the tax base well then taxes are going to increase if we have that law or not. Either that or you start laying off cops, closing fire stations and reducing garbage collection.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,206,167 times
Ok, I’ll debate...
1- what do cpa’s Know about government (macro) economics? They know about taxation and valuation of companies and depreciation and their clients tax returns only. Now if they had surveyed economists I’d read the article..
2- legal immigrants as well as citizens are eligible for state financial aid just as they always have been. Illegal immigrants need to show tax returns or show that they are on govt assistance in order to be eligible. How many do you think file? Undocumented are not eligible for govt assistance. Also undocumented are not eligible for the bulk of govt financial aid which through fafsa, the state part is much smaller. Irl to get federal grants your income needs to be VERY low.
3- don’t know enough but I generally believe zero that the Cato institute reports because they have a political agenda. Talk about fake news. Do they even believe in global warming?
4- all citizens should have some affordable healthcare. If other states don’t think so then shame on their elected officials. If it is not mandated then the younger people will not opt into the pool and drive up costs. Maybe Nj should create it own exchange? I don’t know. The opt out of Obamacare without the penalty will not be in effect until next year so let’s see how things play out.
4- let’s see if this means everyone gets big raises and taxes rise because of contract negotiations. My guess is that it won’t happen because citizens don’t have an appetite for it. If a town needs to raise taxes to pay off pension obligations or big lawsuits or because a large Corp closes its location and no longer contributes to the tax base well then taxes are going to increase if we have that law or not. Either that or you start laying off cops, closing fire stations and reducing garbage collection.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:18 PM

856 posts, read 699,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Ok, I’ll debate...
1- what do cpa’s Know about government economics? They know about taxation and valuation of companies and depreciation. Now if they had surveyed economists I’d read the article..
2- legal immigrants as well as citizens are eligible for state financial aid. Illegal immigrants need to show tax returns or show that they are on govt assistance in order to be eligible. How many do you think file? Undocumented are not eligible for govt assistance. Also undocumented are not eligible for the bulk of govt financial aid which through fafsa, the state part is much smaller. Irl to get federal grants your income needs to be VERY low.
3- don’t know enough
I'm going to save #1 for last. I appreciate your input and respect your views.

2. Over 3 million undocumented workers do pay federal taxes each year, that is true. In my view, it's unfair to American citizens, including those who came here legally, to be forced to subsidize illegal behavior. I am not in agreement with President Trump that we should build a wall and deport people. I support a pathway to legal status, a temporary worker program, and I oppose separating families. But I also believe that people should come here legally, and encouraging illegal immigration doesn't help with that.

3. Fair enough

4. Government intervention into the health insurance market is one of the main reasons insurance costs have increased over the past 50 years. Your point about the individual mandate is important, and that is why I actually think Obamacare should be completely repealed and replaced. By failing to repeal Obamacare entirely and only repealing the individual mandate, President Trump and the GOP establishment in Washington will likely make insurance more expensive for the very reason you state. What Governor Murphy's mandate will do is force middle-income New Jerseyians to spend more on said health insurance.

5. Contracts had to be limited to the 2%, that was the point of the cap. My fear is negotiations will be far more difficult and municipalities will have to excessively increase taxes as a result. Chris Christie failed to cut taxes as he promised during his 2009 campaign for Governor, but he and the legislature did manage to at least keep taxes more stable than in the decade prior to his taking office, in part because of the cap.

1. I give you this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi.../#634966c854a8

Quote:
The relationship between sound tax policy and economic growth isn’t just theoretical, however. Using data from An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of States (Wiley 2014), we are able to compare policy variables like taxes against the economic performance metrics for any state or group of states. Comparing the average of the nine states with the highest state and local marginal personal income tax rates (a group which Ohio belongs to) to the average of the nine states without earned income taxes over the 2002-2012 decade, the zero income tax states crush the high income tax rate states in population growth (14.6% to 6.3%), employment growth (8.9% to 1.7%), personal income growth (58.7% to 46.4%), gross state product growth (62.0% to 46.4%) and even state and local tax revenue growth (82.0% to 52.2%). Even more shocking is the fact that, in each of the aforementioned categories, Ohio is the absolute worst performer in the group of nine high income tax rate states during this time. The state and local income taxes applied there are responsible for instigating the tailspin that has taken Ohio from being one of the nation’s most prosperous states to one of the poorest over the last generation.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:32 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,208,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Back so soon?

Are you married to Banal, er, um Branal?
Are you Murphy?

People are allowed to start threads about the governor of NJ & his mess as they see fit.

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-22-2018 at 11:59 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:

Are you his daddy?

So what?

When did you start calling Trump supporters the cute little disparaging names you have & still do?

2015?

And Christie? The man is out of office and you just fat shamed Chris Christie, once again.

If Murphy was a Republican there would be some name for those teeth of his & a whole lot of how he's a "One Percenter".
And the picking at him, like the vultures the left lower themselves to when they don't get their way, would have started the day he officially became governor of NJ.

Let's not twist how it works when liberals/dems don't have their fan favorite in office.

You & your ilk can't have it both ways. Figure it out & you probably shouldn't self-mod the board.

Last edited by Informed Info; 07-23-2018 at 12:15 AM..

Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I apologized for my calling Governor Murphy's supporters dumb six months ago, and I am not interested in engaging his supporters in nasty exchanges with name calling. I am interested in policy discussions both with those I agree and disagree with. The difference between you and I is, I apologized for my insults six months ago and don't take what people say out of context.

I'm afraid you missed where I posted sources for my claims. Nothing I said is false. I'm sorry you, just like President Trump, believe anything you disagree with is "fake news" but it just isn't so.

Fair point.
Why did you even bother to apologize?

They are dumb. It's just a fact. They voted an idiot in to office who ran on a platform to raise taxes in the state of NJ.

That's California type voter STUPID.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:56 AM

5,816 posts, read 12,580,267 times
The last governor that I actually like was Tom Kean, who phrased the saying "New Jersey and you- Perfect together" Look at most of them that we elected. Murphy, Christie, Corzine, Whitman, Florio, Byrne - not much to get excited about it that bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey