Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:54 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,694 times

Advertisements

Recently I was talking to an Allstate agent (whom I met under different circumstances, not originally about any insurance) who wound up asking me who I had for car ins......When I replied NJM (NJ Manufacturer's) he laughed a bit and said I was probably paying too much but wouldn't switch even if it was much cheaper because people who have NJM are "like cult members". He said it was nearly impossible to get them to drop NJM and change ins. companies even when he could show equal or better coverages at a lower cost.

He said he really didn't understand the loyalty of NJM covered members who, in his opinion, would pay more and in some cases for lower services just to be able to say they had NJM like it was some kind of badge of honor.

Can anyone offer an opinion on this?....I've had NJM for many years and have not gone pricing around. While I'm satisfied with them & their service I also don't want to be paying an exorbitant amount for the privilege when another ins. co. might be suitable and accomplish the same for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 04:57 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Recently I was talking to an Allstate agent (whom I met under different circumstances, not originally about any insurance) who wound up asking me who I had for car ins......When I replied NJM (NJ Manufacturer's) he laughed a bit and said I was probably paying too much but wouldn't switch even if it was much cheaper because people who have NJM are "like cult members". He said it was nearly impossible to get them to drop NJM and change ins. companies even when he could show equal or better coverages at a lower cost.

He said he really didn't understand the loyalty of NJM covered members who, in his opinion, would pay more and in some cases for lower services just to be able to say they had NJM like it was some kind of badge of honor.

Can anyone offer an opinion on this?....I've had NJM for many years and have not gone pricing around. While I'm satisfied with them & their service I also don't want to be paying an exorbitant amount for the privilege when another ins. co. might be suitable and accomplish the same for less.

We priced around about 5 years ago (we had heard the same) but could not find a lower rate... not sure if it's still true today but we had contacted about 7 insurance companies..

You should ask your Allstate friend for a price. I'd be curious if he could do you better.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
We priced around about 5 years ago (we had heard the same) but could not find a lower rate... not sure if it's still true today but we had contacted about 7 insurance companies..

You should ask your Allstate friend for a price. I'd be curious if he could do you better.
Thanks....so you're saying you had/have NJM and the prices were in line or better than what you could find elsewhere?? Were bigger name ins. cos. like Allstate in your contacts?

BTW....he's not a friend....I met him at an event and we were making small talk and the subject of what we did for a living came up.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:58 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
I have been a Geico customer for 15 years. I have received quotes from NJM but the rates were not any better than what I pay with Geico.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
I never had NJM, but I had Allstate for 25 years, and I’m probably done with them for life. The transmission blew on my old car and I called their roadside assistance number for a tow. I waited five hours for the tow truck, and it turned out to be a company run by shysters. In the middle of the tow, the price was changed by the tow company (like triple what I was quoted) and, even though they assured me they accepted credit cards, they refused to release my car unless I paid cash, and I had no cash on me. Since I waited five hours for the tow, by the time the car was brought to my dealer it was well into the evening. Thank goodness the kid tow truck driver felt bad for me and offered to drive me to a bank. You know how TD Bank advertises they stay open a few minutes late? Thank G-d, because they saved my butt that night. Allstate eventually reimbursed me for the extra money shelled out and offered me a one year membership in their auto club (you gotta be outchamind), but it was such a harrowing experience and such a fight to get the reimbursement that I forever soured on them.

On top of that, they were billing me outrageous rates for my car insurance, even though I was with them for 25 years and had a clean driving record. Geico offered me a rate with better coverage that was about $500 less per year.

Been with Geico 3 1/2 years and have no intention of going back to Allstate. Ever.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 PM

32,933 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I'm a USAA cult member, and an insurance salesman, broker, would have a very hard time convincing me to drop it.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:59 PM
dls

90 posts, read 412,019 times
How quickly to you need to drop NJ Manufacturers insurance if you move out of state (beyond NY/PA/CT)? Thx.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:45 AM

127 posts, read 160,590 times
I always laugh at these insurance debate - you insurance company is only as good as when you have an issue - it should not be about current pricing.

NJM fast reliable no hasslement assistance and settlement for me. I will pay a little extra for it. Just ask some Sandy homeowners.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman07738 View Post
I always laugh at these insurance debate - you insurance company is only as good as when you have an issue - it should not be about current pricing.

NJM fast reliable no hasslement assistance and settlement for me. I will pay a little extra for it. Just ask some Sandy homeowners.
Exactly this. I’ve only ever had Geico since I began driving 17 years ago but I wouldn’t switch unless the savings was substantial. I’ve had a number of incidents over the years as they’ve always made things easy.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:06 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Default I've had NJM for many years and have not gone pricing around

I had them for 30 years and love/loved them and thought I would never, ever switch. I insure 4 cars and saved over 1,000 a year by switching to Geico and pay 1,900 and change to insure 4 cars with full coverage. I thought they made a mistake but we switched about 4 years ago. My wife hit a deer on the Parkway a couple of years ago and had about 7 grand in damage. They gave us a rental and the car was fixed in about 3 weeks. Extremely happy with Geico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey