Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:18 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times

Advertisements

My husband needs to renew his driver's license next month. He is 69 years old and was wondering if there are any special requirements. Would call but the phone is busy busy busy...Dreading going there as it is ...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 11:44 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I shouldn't answer because I'm not sure, but he may have to take the vision test. Other than that, it should just be a matter of standing in line.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:01 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
My husband needs to renew his driver's license next month. He is 69 years old and was wondering if there are any special requirements. Would call but the phone is busy busy busy...Dreading going there as it is ...thanks.

I'm so glad you posted this, because I dread going back to the DMV as well . The got my license at 17 and now I am 20. Next year, I am due for my license renewal at 21 years old. I'm scared for a DMV trip.

Do not call the DMV. They may not answer and you will also get the same rudeness you will get as if you go in person.

If you click on this link: https://www.dmv.com/nj/new-jersey/senior-drivers and read the top of the screen, it will say that the website is not affiliated with any government agencies. I am not sure how accurate that website is. It says senior citizens have to go in person and take a vision test. The site did not specify what age is classified as a senior citizen. 69 has to be an official senior citizen.

I hope to god you live somewhere in North Jersey, because I heard the Newton DMV is the best based on the reviews I read. I heard there is no wait and that the staff are nice. Whether you live in North Jersey or not, it's better to drive far to the Newton DMV rather than suffer the torture of your closest DMV. I've only been inside a DMV two times in my life (one for my license and one with my brother for his license), but I heard DMV staff are brutal and can torture you.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:36 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
They are employees. They have supervisors and managers. If they're rude, you can file a complaint.

I wish I could make you stop being afraid.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They are employees. They have supervisors and managers. If they're rude, you can file a complaint.

I wish I could make you stop being afraid.
Most DMV staff including managers and supervisors are rude and they never get fired even though there are millions of complaints on Google Reviews. Sadly, filing an actual complaint is not going to help unless they do something really wrong like refusing service via discrimination, etc. It's nearly impossible to get government staff fired.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:11 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Most DMV staff including managers and supervisors are rude
But, NJ's DMV has not existed for over a decade. The name of the agency--which is prominently displayed on the documents that you receive--is NJ Motor Vehicle Commission. Are you living in the past, or do you have an unresolved reading comprehension problem?

I honestly can't fathom anyone quaking in fear of visiting one of the MVC offices... maybe... once every 3 or 4 years. If the thought of that visit is unbearable for somebody, how will he/she react at the prospect of a dire medical opinion, which has far more long-lasting implications?

I have a favorite MVC facility in a rural part of Central NJ, where the lines are almost always non-existent, and the employees are consistently pleasant to deal with. While some/many MVC locations are undoubtedly much less desirable, there others besides my favorite location that are also efficient and... bearable.

For example, last month, I accompanied a friend to the MVC facility located on Rt. 130, in the Dayton section of South Brunswick. When I realized that the parking lot was filled to capacity, I thought... oh, sh*t... and when we entered and found a large crowd, that confirmed my thoughts that we were in for a very protracted experience.

My friend was directed to the line for those who were renewing their photo licenses, and who needed a new photo taken. There were only 2 people ahead of him in line, but I did observe that the specialized lines for other functions were a bit longer.

I took a seat, and proceeded to view my text messages and reply to some of them. Before I had finished with those tasks, my friend was standing next to me, holding his newly-minted license. A glance at my watch indicated that he had spent a grand total of 11 minutes to complete his task. I asked him about the demeanor of the employees, and he had no complaints whatsoever.

I have no doubt that there are other MVC facilities that are less efficient and less pleasant than these two, but I haven't experienced one of those for at least 30 years. By simply preparing one's documentation ahead of time, and by researching which facilities are better, it really is possible to renew one's license, or to take care of other MVC-related functions without experiencing the extreme trauma that you seem to envision.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:39 AM

474 posts, read 1,259,871 times
Thank you for the answers--I did not mean to start a criticism of the agencies! Should have stated dreading going there because of the usual really long wait times. Guess it's best to go mid-month. The one closest to me has had pretty consistently negative ratings and the way too small parking lot doesn't help, either. Last time I was there one car backed into another and some other people were actually having a heated argument over a parking space.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:59 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Guess it's best to go mid-month. The one closest to me has had pretty consistently negative ratings
The traditional advice to go... in the middle of the day, in the middle of the week, in the middle of the month... still holds true.

My favorite facility in rural Central NJ is nowhere near Manchester Twp., so you probably wouldn't be interested in going there, but if you would like me to identify it for you, just send me a Direct Message.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
But, NJ's DMV has not existed for over a decade. The name of the agency--which is prominently displayed on the documents that you receive--is NJ Motor Vehicle Commission. Are you living in the past, or do you have an unresolved reading comprehension problem?

I honestly can't fathom anyone quaking in fear of visiting one of the MVC offices... maybe... once every 3 or 4 years. If the thought of that visit is unbearable for somebody, how will he/she react at the prospect of a dire medical opinion, which has far more long-lasting implications?

I have a favorite MVC facility in a rural part of Central NJ, where the lines are almost always non-existent, and the employees are consistently pleasant to deal with. While some/many MVC locations are undoubtedly much less desirable, there others besides my favorite location that are also efficient and... bearable.

For example, last month, I accompanied a friend to the MVC facility located on Rt. 130, in the Dayton section of South Brunswick. When I realized that the parking lot was filled to capacity, I thought... oh, sh*t... and when we entered and found a large crowd, that confirmed my thoughts that we were in for a very protracted experience.

My friend was directed to the line for those who were renewing their photo licenses, and who needed a new photo taken. There were only 2 people ahead of him in line, but I did observe that the specialized lines for other functions were a bit longer.

I took a seat, and proceeded to view my text messages and reply to some of them. Before I had finished with those tasks, my friend was standing next to me, holding his newly-minted license. A glance at my watch indicated that he had spent a grand total of 11 minutes to complete his task. I asked him about the demeanor of the employees, and he had no complaints whatsoever.

I have no doubt that there are other MVC facilities that are less efficient and less pleasant than these two, but I haven't experienced one of those for at least 30 years. By simply preparing one's documentation ahead of time, and by researching which facilities are better, it really is possible to renew one's license, or to take care of other MVC-related functions without experiencing the extreme trauma that you seem to envision.
Hmm you sound familiar. I think you were the user that commented on my post saying how rural Central Jersey has your favorite DMV.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the answers--I did not mean to start a criticism of the agencies! Should have stated dreading going there because of the usual really long wait times. Guess it's best to go mid-month. The one closest to me has had pretty consistently negative ratings and the way too small parking lot doesn't help, either. Last time I was there one car backed into another and some other people were actually having a heated argument over a parking space.
Holy ****! I love fights especially over a parking space! In order for me to avoid fights over parking spaces, I'd rather go to the Newton DMV. Based on reviews, I'd say Newton DMV could be the best DMV in NJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: