Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 2,091 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a general contractor for a 250 sq ft home addition in Millburn. Of all the contractors I've received bids from, the one with the lowest bid and best availability to get the project done within my schedule typically does 203k projects (based on his Houzz reviews). I don't plan to take a loan for the project. What would the pros and cons be of hiring such a contractor? His reviews on Houzz and other sites are top-notch and his references have good reviews too, although they all used 203k loans.

Also, what is a typical payment schedule like for such a project? This contractor wants 30% down, then 3 more payments of 15-20% each, and finally 10% at the completion of the project. Is that normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Gup

115 posts, read 204,161 times
Let me know how this goes. We are also considering Millburn and may need a contractor to do some work. Who did you choose? You can PM me if you don't want to disclose publicly

Old 07-25-2018, 12:05 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
how long between the first 30% and the start of the project? if it could be long (i.e. do you have the permits and plans are approved), I would only give 10%. Then 20% at the start. Personally I am on the 12th month of getting the plans approved by the town and the builder has had my 10% for 6 months now

Old 07-25-2018, 12:17 PM
Gup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
how long between the first 30% and the start of the project? if it could be long (i.e. do you have the permits and plans are approved), I would only give 10%. Then 20% at the start. Personally I am on the 12th month of getting the plans approved by the town and the builder has had my 10% for 6 months now

Wow are you in Millburn as well? Large project?

Old 07-25-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
Wow are you in Millburn as well? Large project?
Nope, a Millburn like town. Suprisingly not that big. Just town being a PITA. Silly things like "your house was built before we change the set back rules, in order to do anything to your house, even if you are NOT changing your current set back, you will need to either move your entire house 5 feet back, or pay $1000, submit $300 in paperwork and wait 45+120 days to get a variance"

And then, they want different paperwork (like plans for the 3rd floor of the house even though we are NOT touching the 3rd floor), so the "45 days" counter gets reset to 0

Old 07-25-2018, 02:15 PM
Gup

Dammit that sucks. Sorry to hear about the delay.

Do you need a permit for every little thing i.e updating kitchen or bathroom? Not gutting, but just upgrading appliances, floor, light fixtures, sink, maybe bath tub etc?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup View Post
Dammit that sucks. Sorry to hear about the delay.

Do you need a permit for every little thing i.e updating kitchen or bathroom? Not gutting, but just upgrading appliances, floor, light fixtures, sink, maybe bath tub etc?

NJ changed the rules recently. But basically a permit is needed if something new is added or something old is changed a lot and the thing could hurt someone (move wall, be sure house might fall. Add electrical socket, make sure it is not inside tub, ...)

No permit needed to replace roof or siding anymore.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
The 30% would be due at signing, before he even applies for permits. I have the plans and variances already though. The estimate in Millburn is 3 weeks for a permit, but as your experience shows, it could be a lot longer.

Do you think 90% before the project is even completed is reasonable or common? I'm concerned he would have very little incentive to finish the project if all he stands to lose is 10%.

In any event, I haven't decided whether to hire him yet -- it would depend not only on how reasonable he is with respect to payment schedule, but a few other terms of the proposal too.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:37 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheruvu View Post
The 30% would be due at signing, before he even applies for permits. I have the plans and variances already though. The estimate in Millburn is 3 weeks for a permit, but as your experience shows, it could be a lot longer.

Do you think 90% before the project is even completed is reasonable or common? I'm concerned he would have very little incentive to finish the project if all he stands to lose is 10%.

In any event, I haven't decided whether to hire him yet -- it would depend not only on how reasonable he is with respect to payment schedule, but a few other terms of the proposal too.
He’s probably equally if not more concerned that he’ll complete the job and then never receive payment. If he has a long list of great reviews, there’s no reason to think he won’t finish the job. There was nowhere for him to go and read reviews on you, so he’s really taking the bigger risk here.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
He’s probably equally if not more concerned that he’ll complete the job and then never receive payment. If he has a long list of great reviews, there’s no reason to think he won’t finish the job. There was nowhere for him to go and read reviews on you, so he’s really taking the bigger risk here.
I'm not disputing that. That's why contractors all require progress payments. My question was whether 10% at completion (especially given 30% at signing) is reasonable or commonplace in NJ or Essex Co. Paying 90% before the final phase is even started seems a bit high to me, but if that's what the norm is, then fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: