Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 06:21 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
I've noticed whenever a semi-authentic Chinese restaurant opens in North Jersey, it gets 2 or 3 out of 5 stars on Yelp, cos Northern Jersey folks only know to order General Tso's chicken and chicken and broccoli and don't understand real Chinese food, so it's really ignorance that keeps good Chinese from opening here.
My roommate in college was from China and he told me General Tso's is not even real Chinese food that you can get in China. It was basically made up in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 06:32 PM

510 posts, read 499,924 times
Table service chain restaurants are dying across the the nation as Americans' tastebuds are leaning toward healthier, fresher and more authentic food. Independent restaurants are the way to go, and frankly with apps like Yelp, Trip Advisor and even just Google there is absolutely no excuse to stick with chain restaurants anymore. If chains want to cling to their outdated model of reheated food, hey no problem, just don't act surprised when the word bankruptcy gets tossed around by corporate.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:04 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
My roommate in college was from China and he told me General Tso's is not even real Chinese food that you can get in China. It was basically made up in America.
NO BS, ask him where spaghetti and pizza come from?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Table service chain restaurants are dying across the the nation as Americans' tastebuds are leaning toward healthier, fresher and more authentic food. Independent restaurants are the way to go, and frankly with apps like Yelp, Trip Advisor and even just Google there is absolutely no excuse to stick with chain restaurants anymore. If chains want to cling to their outdated model of reheated food, hey no problem, just don't act surprised when the word bankruptcy gets tossed around by corporate.
There are always exceptions , Cracker Barrel is booming!

Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
There are always exceptions , Cracker Barrel is booming!
Most of their food is disgusting, but they have all-day breakfast, and they manage to do that part well nearly always. We only eat there once or twice a year, when we're travelling through PA, but it's one of the few chains (that's not fast food) that I'll agree to, and it's because of omelets and pancakes. Plus, they have retail merchandise. Like their food, much of it is garbage, but who doesn't like retro candy? I bought a Penn State hat from them once, and Pick-up-Sticks for the kids, too.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:28 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
then it settles it, New Jersey must demand better chinese food! I'm not talking about phoenix claw or tripe. Just food that surpasses General Tso and chicken and broccoli.

The only thing good at red lobster are those cheddar garlic biscuits. I think they put crack in them.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Independent restaurants are the way to go, and frankly with apps like Yelp, Trip Advisor and even just Google there is absolutely no excuse to stick with chain restaurants anymore. If chains want to cling to their outdated model of reheated food, hey no problem, just don't act surprised when the word bankruptcy gets tossed around by corporate.
Statistically more than half of all restaurants fail within the first year, mostly the small independent ones. The future of dining out is delivery to home/office.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Most of their food is disgusting, but they have all-day breakfast, and they manage to do that part well nearly always. We only eat there once or twice a year, when we're travelling through PA, but it's one of the few chains (that's not fast food) that I'll agree to, and it's because of omelets and pancakes. Plus, they have retail merchandise. Like their food, much of it is garbage, but who doesn't like retro candy? I bought a Penn State hat from them once, and Pick-up-Sticks for the kids, too.
I will agree to disagree with all of your review.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Statistically more than half of all restaurants fail within the first year, mostly the small independent ones. The future of dining out is delivery to home/office.
NO, again that is only your opinion. The statistics for restaurants have been pretty steady over the years and it is a very hard business to break into, I would say it's a little less than the 50% you quoted but not by much. Yet it can be done and is done and done well by many people.

The future for resturants is simple but hard to do.

1) Good Food
2) Well managed operation
3)...control your cost(overhead)
4) good service for a fair and reasonable price
5)...GOOD FOOD

Old 07-31-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
NO, again that is only your opinion. The statistics for restaurants have been pretty steady over the years and it is a very hard business to break into, I would say it's a little less than the 50% you quoted but not by much. Yet it can be done and is done and done well by many people.

The future for resturants is simple but hard to do.

1) Good Food
2) Well managed operation
3)...control your cost(overhead)
4) good service for a fair and reasonable price
5)...GOOD FOOD
It's not my opinion. I saw a story on my local news about this a few weeks ago. More people are choosing delivery due to the proliferation of Uber Eats, Door Dash, etc. Fewer people are choosing to dine in at the establishment. I have to agree with this based on what I have seen in my area. Most of the new restaurants that have opened up in recent years are about 10 tables or less and are generally pretty empty from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey