Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 AM

63 posts, read 346,094 times

Advertisements

I agree. Move out. Don't risk your health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 07:17 AM
yCf

106 posts, read 533,217 times
Speaking of mold, I am buying a home and we discover some mold in the attic rafters and insulation during the inspection.

The lab test result indicates that the mold count per area analyzed is "Rare" which I guess mean the problem is not too serious.

We already requested the seller to hire a remediation company to take care of it. My question is do the remediation company usually just clean it or do they actually take some measure to prevent it from coming back??

The house has 2 zone heating/ac, and one of the unit is in the attic. The inspector says that could possibly be the cause of the molding. Is it going to be a recurring problem for if that's the case??

Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yCf View Post
Speaking of mold, I am buying a home and we discover some mold in the attic rafters and insulation during the inspection.

The lab test result indicates that the mold count per area analyzed is "Rare" which I guess mean the problem is not too serious.

We already requested the seller to hire a remediation company to take care of it. My question is do the remediation company usually just clean it or do they actually take some measure to prevent it from coming back??

The house has 2 zone heating/ac, and one of the unit is in the attic. The inspector says that could possibly be the cause of the molding. Is it going to be a recurring problem for if that's the case??
Mold on the rafters is very common. It could be from the attic unit but it may also be from not having enough ventilation... Most companies just clean it up. You should try to figure out what's causing it otherwise it will return. Sounds like it's not the hazardous type though...just normal mold spores that can easily be remediated - even by the homeowner each year. Have the inspector check the condensation drain on the attic A/C unit. Make sure the pan underneath the unit doesn't have stagnant water sitting inside... this could be the issue and can easily be resolved.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
yCf

Thanks for the reply.

Ascospores, Cladosporium, and Pollen... that's what we got. From the limited research I did, it doesn't seem like a major problem.

Since we are still in the phase of negotiating my wife is saying that the seller should pay for some work in the attic to make sure the mold won't come back.
I think that's asking too much. I think if they would hire a professional to clean it, that is good enough for me since it doesn't look like a major problem... am I being too nice?

There is already an attic fan in there and it is activated at a certain temperature (around 90 degrees, i think). If the ventilation is the cause of the problem, what else can we do? Add another attic fan?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Do you have adequate insulation? If not, heat from your house could be entering the attic when it's cold out and condensing.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yCf View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Ascospores, Cladosporium, and Pollen... that's what we got. From the limited research I did, it doesn't seem like a major problem.

Since we are still in the phase of negotiating my wife is saying that the seller should pay for some work in the attic to make sure the mold won't come back.
I think that's asking too much. I think if they would hire a professional to clean it, that is good enough for me since it doesn't look like a major problem... am I being too nice?

There is already an attic fan in there and it is activated at a certain temperature (around 90 degrees, i think). If the ventilation is the cause of the problem, what else can we do? Add another attic fan?
It doesn't sound like a huge issues..certainly not one to keep you from buying the home. I'm also not sure what the sellers can do to make sure it doesn't come back... did your inspector turn the attic fan on to make sure it's working? You can always throw some of those 'damp rid' whossy watts up in the attic. It may help. I even seen folks use charcoal to absorb the extra moisture : )

Old 04-02-2008, 05:16 PM

5 posts, read 17,160 times
Exclamation Mold Problem

Thank you all for your help !!! Board of Health refused to help - landlord said they will come replace the sheetrock but I told them not to open up the wall of my apartment to let more mold spores inside until I am gone - and I am out of here !!! I have heard several other people are complaining about the same problem.... I have pictures and documentation at the doctor but am not sticking around until I am really sick ---

Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLCNJ View Post
Thank you all for your help !!! Board of Health refused to help - landlord said they will come replace the sheetrock but I told them not to open up the wall of my apartment to let more mold spores inside until I am gone - and I am out of here !!! I have heard several other people are complaining about the same problem.... I have pictures and documentation at the doctor but am not sticking around until I am really sick ---
Change the sheetrock! Wow... I would definatley move out! I hope that they at least use the waterproof type of sheetrock. Sounds like your landlord is a slumlord!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 AM

432 posts, read 1,878,727 times
You need to move. Mold can be fatal. I know of someone who was nearly killed, offered to have a relative in the business remediate it, and the landlord turned them down because they did not want to admit it existed. So he moved, he sued, and he won.

Not much of a victory, because he is so disabled he cannot work anymore.

Move, but take pictures. File complaints, and keep records of the complaints you file and with whom. If all else fails, sue.

Taking out the sheetrock does not in and of itself indicate a toxic problem - it indicates that the drywall is getting wet frequently. But you don't want to breathe what is behind the sheetrock.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 AM
yCf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
It doesn't sound like a huge issues..certainly not one to keep you from buying the home. I'm also not sure what the sellers can do to make sure it doesn't come back... did your inspector turn the attic fan on to make sure it's working? You can always throw some of those 'damp rid' whossy watts up in the attic. It may help. I even seen folks use charcoal to absorb the extra moisture : )
It really doesn't look too bad, but the seller refused my request to have a licensed professional to clean it. I was going quite easy on them on the things for them to fix on the inspection report so I am surprised at their refusal. They say they will scrub it off themselves using clorox and lye etc. However, the mold testing confirm there are some mold in insulation also, so I don't know how someone could scrub the mold off insulation. Should I be adamant and insist to have a licensed person to clean it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey