Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 04:26 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
6 & 7) Do you mean the disc golf course?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...!4d-74.4855255

Yes, but I don't think it's in open space. It's in the woods under the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
One of the slight oddities in that general vicinity that I've always wondered about is exit 4 on Rt. 280. It's a full cloverleaf, but Eisenhower Parkway dies out about a half mile north of 280. Doesn't seem to even peter out into local roads, just dies in an office park. I'm guessing Eisenhower Parkway was originally supposed to continue further but funding or local resistance halted its development. Just odd that the corporate park gets its own exit.

I go on that cloverleaf all the time during the school year. Eisenhower Parkway was originally designed to continue straight North to intersect Bloomfield Avenue. The south end at the St. Barnabas area near Livingston Mall, which you did not mentioned, was actually originally designed to connect to Route 24, and that's why Route 24 has an unfinished cloverleaf. The unfinished cloverleaf was supposed to connect each other.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
It's a disc golf course, one of many courses in the area. Just played at Harry Dunham park yesterday. Lots of people were on the course. It's a nice free activity (once you buy the discs, or pick them up for free from the municipal building).

I agree with you on the hidden gems though. If I were to hazard a guess, I think it's because NJ is very localized. You know and care about the parks and amenities in your specific town that you pay taxes in and maybe you'll check out some neighboring towns but not too far unless you're specifically looking for something.

True, most of NJ is understandable only if you lived here for a long time. Lots of undocumented details undocumented gems about NJ. I feel bad for visitors who won't understand the area, especially that ramp of I-280 East to continue on I-280 East, which gets mistaken as an exit.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:29 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The Nazis did have LBI mapped out, after the war some of them even knew all the streets. I'm assuming it was a targeted area for landing their troops for a US invasion.
We had a tower. https://weirdnj.com/stories/tuckerton-tower/

Old 08-13-2018, 05:52 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
And a 16-inch gun battery

https://patch.com/new-jersey/middlet...9-public-tours

Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
and that's why Route 24 has an unfinished cloverleaf. The unfinished cloverleaf was supposed to connect each other.
There's two never-used overpasses on Route 24 -- that one, which is labeled "Triborough Road"

https://goo.gl/maps/Gr8yyRhU6Qw

And one which fails to connect Short Hills to Summit at Brantwood Drive, stopped because of community opposition on the Summit side.

https://goo.gl/maps/KFSsVqa1toq

The first one is accessible from the power line right of way on the south side (I'm not sure if you can get at it from the complex on Father Mario way on the north, you might need hip waders) , the second one is walled off completely on both sides.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:39 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
I'll always love that state.

My family went to the shore every summer when I was young. I wanted to live there because I thought that it was always warm and sunny.

Many years later, I got to live there for a time. It was warm and sunny. Sure, the taxes were high, but overall, it was a positive experience.

I've moved out, in, and out again. I'm still the little girl who thinks that it's always summer at the shore.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:37 PM

23 posts, read 18,881 times
Quote:
One of the slight oddities in that general vicinity that I've always wondered about is exit 4 on Rt. 280. It's a full cloverleaf, but Eisenhower Parkway dies out about a half mile north of 280. Doesn't seem to even peter out into local roads, just dies in an office park. I'm guessing Eisenhower Parkway was originally supposed to continue further but funding or local resistance halted its development. Just odd that the corporate park gets its own exit.
Now you have me wondering about this. I have always thought it was odd as that was my exit off of 280 growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey