U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 4,057 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. My girlfriend and I both moved to the New Jersey area from out of state about a month ago. We are mid twenties young professionals. Currently, I am working in Princeton and her job is in Morristown. We've been in downtown Hoboken but both of our commutes are terrible. We're looking for a town in the middle with a more reasonable commute for the both of us.

Recommendations so far have been Somerville or New Brunswick. Any advice on the two towns? Are there others we haven't heard about? The nightlife in Jersey City/Hoboken is great and we know it won't be comparable, but we still are somewhat young so we don't want to move to a city with no walkable downtown area or young professionals.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 03:26 AM

2,443 posts, read 1,485,873 times
To bad you have to work in Princeton, Morristown is alot of fun (personally prefer it over Hoboken). New Brunswick is in the middle but I get the quivers of thinking of driving anywhere on rt. 1 and 287 northbound in the morning. Somerville isn't a happening area, but maybe a better choice.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 AM

4,142 posts, read 9,604,509 times
The options are limited with a job in a Princeton. New Brunswick commute would not be worth it. I think Somerville is probably the best option even if it’s not exactly what you are looking for.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:15 AM

388 posts, read 170,058 times
Somerville is cute. The nightlife is nothing to write home about but there are a few bars and a good amount of restaurants downtown. It is walkable and nice, as well as close to other things like major store shopping in Bridgewater and the Bridgewater mall. That would be my pick for you with your current job locations. If you were to get a different job further north I'd say Morristown would be great for you.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 2,806 times
I work in relocation, in the past clients with a brief similar to yours have settled in Westfield, Cranford and Summit. Somerville is great value in comparison.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
To bad you have to work in Princeton, Morristown is alot of fun (personally prefer it over Hoboken). New Brunswick is in the middle but I get the quivers of thinking of driving anywhere on rt. 1 and 287 northbound in the morning. Somerville isn't a happening area, but maybe a better choice.
Thought about doing the reverse commute from Morristown to Princeton for work each day, it seems like Morristown would be the ideal place for us...

Old 08-22-2018, 06:30 PM

Thanks for all the advice about Somerville, it's slowly becoming our top choice based on all the options.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:01 PM

9,242 posts, read 13,179,621 times
Somerville is pretty nice. There's a few bars actually.

Another option is to live separately in Princeton and Morristown and go party at each other's places every other weekend. Princeton's party scene is a bit tame, but there is one.

You might prefer that being the guy.

I'm joking though, that would be way too expensive.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:25 PM

377 posts, read 431,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisSomersetEssex View Post
I work in relocation, in the past clients with a brief similar to yours have settled in Westfield, Cranford and Summit. Somerville is great value in comparison.
Summit to Princeton commute?! Are you out of your mind? Not pleasant at all. You need a new line of work.

Cranford to Princeton is arguably worse!

Old 08-23-2018, 10:25 AM

278 posts, read 226,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Summit to Princeton commute?! Are you out of your mind? Not pleasant at all. You need a new line of work.

Cranford to Princeton is arguably worse!
I was thinking the same thing! Terrible advice from someone in relocation no less!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey