Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 AM

20,340 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I would think twice before eating at an Indian restaurant. See link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fece...firefox-b-1-ab
I wish I never clicked on the link.

The story where the preparer wiped his a** with his hands for "cultural reasons".......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 07:15 AM

522 posts, read 992,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Lol you're kidding around. All of the Indian restaurants I've been to in NJ's suburbs are clean, but you do have to be careful with the Indian restaurants in Jersey City.

This is correct for NJ. Suburbs okay generally...but Jersey City...I don't even want to tell what my wife and I once found in the buffet food in one of the restaurants on Newark Av....and something similar in another restaurant there..which is directly related to how clean or dirty most kitchens in Indian restaurants on Newark Av in Jersey City are....

Old 08-20-2018, 07:55 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
After reading all of your various threads, it is clear that you harbor a lot of fears that most people would consider to be... unnatural. Have you ever considered speaking with a mental health professional about the many things that you fear?
This is a good point. If you have that deep a level of social anxiety, there is help for it. You are certainly not the only person in that situation, and there is no shame in seeking help to make your life better and more manageable.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Yes, I had that issue back in high school. I used to go to the pizzeria in my town to eat-in when I was in high school. One time, my high school friend went to use the bathroom and since I was seen alone, a bunch high school jocks from my school kept harassing me. When my friend came back, he told them to leave me alone. I really don't like going out to eat in my town. I stopped going out to eat in certain places around town after high school, because I am embarrassed to even show my face in front of my town.
i guess i should be happy that i dont have all of these social anxieties that it seems that you have. it is a shame that you are saddled with them, it cant be making things easy for you.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:15 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
I dislike going to sit down restaurants by myself. I am not sacred or anything but I don't see the point of sitting by myself and waiting for the food without being able to talk to anyone. To me, sit down restaurant is a place not just for eating but for socializing and enjoying human company. If I have no one to go with, I wouldn't want to spend time and money on sit down restaurants. I probably wouldn't go to McDonals but will probably go a step up from them. Places like Panera Bread, Boston Market, Chipotle, etc. offer quality food without table service and without having to tip. I would be done with my dinner in about half an hour...

Lunch time Indian buffets or other buffets are different because you don't have to wait for the food to be prepared. But I prefer not to go there on week days because I end up overeating...

Old 08-20-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I dislike going to sit down restaurants by myself. I am not sacred or anything but I don't see the point of sitting by myself and waiting for the food without being able to talk to anyone. To me, sit down restaurant is a place not just for eating but for socializing and enjoying human company. If I have no one to go with, I wouldn't want to spend time and money on sit down restaurants. I probably wouldn't go to McDonals but will probably go a step up from them. Places like Panera Bread, Boston Market, Chipotle, etc. offer quality food without table service and without having to tip. I would be done with my dinner in about half an hour...

Lunch time Indian buffets or other buffets are different because you don't have to wait for the food to be prepared. But I prefer not to go there on week days because I end up overeating...
I see going to a restaurant as a social event also. Nothing wrong with that. But I can also do it as a solitary activity. And I can talk to myself if I want.

It may just be that some of us learned through life how to enjoy our solitude rather than to see it as lonelineness. It did feel a bit odd the first times I had to go out to eat alone or go to the movies alone or to Atlantic City alone, but there just wasn't always someone around to do things with. I've lived alone for almost nine years now, since my daughter graduated from high school and left for college, with no "significant other" until the last year, but even so I've got one who lives 500 miles away, lol.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 PM

453 posts, read 345,342 times
Keep in mind that cops like restaurants and you might run into them while dining.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:10 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
UPDATE:

Instead of going to a diner alone today, I just ordered over the phone for pickup. I wanted to do that so I can check out how busy the diner is in the morning. There were only a few people in it and I definitely would not feel uncomfortable. I could get a table then. I saw a few people alone. One guy who was alone was some weird looking druggie guy. Next time, I will definitely go alone to this diner now that I learned that the place is not too busy. This diner is usually busy on weekends and Friday nights and it's so surprising how dead it is on a weekday morning.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
UPDATE:

Instead of going to a diner alone today, I just ordered over the phone for pickup. I wanted to do that so I can check out how busy the diner is in the morning. There were only a few people in it and I definitely would not feel uncomfortable. I could get a table then. I saw a few people alone. One guy who was alone was some weird looking druggie guy. Next time, I will definitely go alone to this diner now that I learned that the place is not too busy. This diner is usually busy on weekends and Friday nights and it's so surprising how dead it is on a weekday morning.
It's a good idea if you are more comfortable with fewer people to go at a time when it isn't busy. I think that's once you get over the hump and go by yourself for the first time, you'll find it easier with each successive visit.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:49 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I dislike going to sit down restaurants by myself. I am not sacred or anything but I don't see the point of sitting by myself
It's unfortunate that you aren't sacred, because clergy members usually get preferential seating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey