Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 06:21 PM

482 posts, read 725,580 times

Advertisements

That’s what I’m saying...you’re advertised time factors in 1) working 4 blocks from PABT and 2) needing to leave your house before 7am.

Just for an apples to apples....If OP worked four blocks from GC...they could hop on the 820am train from Larchmont, arriving at 854 GC (which is rarely delayed), and be at work at 9am. If moving to NJ they would need to sacrifice 70-80 minutes of morning routine to catch an earlier bus to avoid rush hour traffic...which will be a in hopes of hitting a 70 minute door to door...versus a door to door now of say 50- 55 min leaving after 8am (assuming the hypothetical workplace four blocks from GC, and a departure from Home 10-15 before the train)

That’s a night and day difference. Not saying you disagree or contest that. But still a big difference nonetheless. The bus kind of forces you (I mean you in a general way) to be at your desk at 8am. Imagine leaving your HOUSE after the time you currently get to your DESK, and get to work at 9am via bus. There would need to be a cataclysmic event for the Lincoln tunnel to clear out.

Last edited by JaRuss01; 09-04-2018 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:51 PM

220 posts, read 378,366 times
I agree with JaRuss, there’s no way a bus commute from Wayne can be 1:10 door to door “like clockwork” day in and day out BOTH WAYS unless 1) you work within a few minutes walking distance to PABT, 2) you’re sitting on the bus en route to PABT by 7am latest, and 3) you’re on the bus on the commute home well before or after rush hour (eg 4pm or 7pm). Even then, accidents, road work etc can throw those times off by 5, 10, 15+ minutes.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,652,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
That’s what I’m saying...you’re advertised time factors in 1) working 4 blocks from PABT and 2) needing to leave your house before 7am.

Just for an apples to apples....If OP worked four blocks from GC...they could hop on the 820am train from Larchmont, arriving at 854 GC (which is rarely delayed), and be at work at 9am. If moving to NJ they would need to sacrifice 70-80 minutes of morning routine to catch an earlier bus to avoid rush hour traffic...which will be a in hopes of hitting a 70 minute door to door...versus a door to door now of say 50- 55 min leaving after 8am (assuming the hypothetical workplace four blocks from GC, and a departure from Home 10-15 before the train)

That’s a night and day difference. Not saying you disagree or contest that. But still a big difference nonetheless. The bus kind of forces you (I mean you in a general way) to be at your desk at 8am. Imagine leaving your HOUSE after the time you currently get to your DESK, and get to work at 9am via bus. There would need to be a cataclysmic event for Lincoln tunnel to clear out.
Exactly. I mean for $1-1.2mm I could have bought a small 3br apt. Right in the manhattan. Imagine that commute! We chose the big house and wife not having to work in exchange for a longer commute. For me that’s a no brainer, but to each their own.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf723 View Post
I agree with JaRuss, there’s no way a bus commute from Wayne can be 1:10 door to door “like clockwork” day in and day out BOTH WAYS unless 1) you work within a few minutes walking distance to PABT, 2) you’re sitting on the bus en route to PABT by 7am latest, and 3) you’re on the bus on the commute home well before or after rush hour (eg 4pm or 7pm). Even then, accidents, road work etc can throw those times off by 5, 10, 15+ minutes.
Sorry bud, that’s what it is. You are welcome to come to the park and ride every day next week. Meet me there at 7am. You can tag along, we’ll be in my office by 8am every day. Traffic, accidents, whatever rarely matters. As stated before the only thing that changes that is if the xbl is shut down, which does happen 6-12 times per year on my commute. The way home is really even more predictable. Again unless the bus lane out of pa is shut down. There is always traffic by Rutherford and then again at the 3/46 merge but that is it. If there is an accident on 3 by the tunnel they reroute to 95, if there is an accident later on they take the gsp to 80. Either way it is rarely longer than 45-50 minutes. Off rush hours the ride is 35 minutes out of the city. Instead of making false assumptions give it a shot and see for yourself.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 PM

220 posts, read 378,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Sorry bud, that’s what it is. You are welcome to come to the park and ride every day next week. Meet me there at 7am. You can tag along, we’ll be in my office by 8am every day. Traffic, accidents, whatever rarely matters. As stated before the only thing that changes that is if the xbl is shut down, which does happen 6-12 times per year on my commute. The way home is really even more predictable. Again unless the bus lane out of pa is shut down. There is always traffic by Rutherford and then again at the 3/46 merge but that is it. If there is an accident on 3 by the tunnel they reroute to 95, if there is an accident later on they take the gsp to 80. Either way it is rarely longer than 45-50 minutes. Off rush hours the ride is 35 minutes out of the city. Instead of making false assumptions give it a shot and see for yourself.
Did you even read what I wrote? For a commute to be that length door to door i said it has to be a combination of things like working within a few minutes walk from PABT and being on the road by 7am. I assume you’re including the drive to the park and ride, walk to the bus stop from the lot, as well as waiting on line for the bus right? Also including all of the walking and waiting as well for the commute home?

Let’s say you lived 5min from the park and ride and worked 5min walk from PABT. Assume a 5min wait on line in the morning and a 5min wait on line on the way home, that’s 20min right there. With rush hr bus ride being 40-45min, that’s 1:00-1:05 on a perfect day for someone living and working within a 5min radius from the park and ride and PABT . It’s great to see you enjoying such a perfect commute, but it’s ridiculous to use that anecdotal evidence as the basis for what a typical commute from NJ to NYC would look like.

Last edited by jpf723; 09-05-2018 at 10:33 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 PM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Hey, let's ALL go. City-Data Jersey forum people, show up at the Route 23 transit center at 7 a.m. next week and catch the bus and see if we can figure out who one another are. OR we could all wear name tags. We'll get doughnuts when we get to the city.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:04 AM

482 posts, read 725,580 times
Ha

I think this is where OP decides, with certainty, to not move from Westchester to NJ

Look at us all bickering about the commute. Common to this forum. Go over to the Westchester forums and it’s not a constant he said she said on bus times and the Lincoln tunnel, and complaints about delays. No wonder they look at us like second rate citizens. Haha. Just kidding...kinda...

Old 09-06-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, let's ALL go. City-Data Jersey forum people, show up at the Route 23 transit center at 7 a.m. next week and catch the bus and see if we can figure out who one another are. OR we could all wear name tags. We'll get doughnuts when we get to the city.
I’m the guy in a grey v-neck and jeans with a black messenger bag. Every day. You can’t miss me

Old 09-06-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf723 View Post
Did you even read what I wrote? For a commute to be that length door to door i said it has to be a combination of things like working within a few minutes walk from PABT and being on the road by 7am. I assume you’re including the drive to the park and ride, walk to the bus stop from the lot, as well as waiting on line for the bus right? Also including all of the walking and waiting as well for the commute home?

Let’s say you lived 5min from the park and ride and worked 5min walk from PABT. Assume a 5min wait on line in the morning and a 5min wait on line on the way home, that’s 20min right there. With rush hr bus ride being 40-45min, that’s 1:00-1:05 on a perfect day for someone living and working within a 5min radius from the park and ride and PABT . It’s great to see you enjoying such a perfect commute, but it’s ridiculous to use that anecdotal evidence as the basis for what a typical commute from NJ to NYC would look like.
I’ve already outlined my commute. The same commute is accessible to roughly 15,000/50,000 people in my town. Granted I can’t control where they chose to work in Manhattan just like I can’t chose where they buy their house but those numbers are hardly anecdotal. That aside, let’s forget the park and ride since that seems to be throwing you for a loop and causing what feels like anger, at least severe annoyance, from the way you wrote your response. There is another bus that goes through Wayne. The 197b. It goes down Black Oak Drive, down Ratzer and then down Valley, essentially starting in the northwest corner of Wayne and working it’s way down through to the southwest corner by the Home Depot on rt 46. It can stop almost every block before going expresss to city. That bus, which many residents( probably close to 10,000 could walk to in less than 10 minutes) picks up starting at 7:10 and is in Port Authority by 8:20. The NJT MyBus tracker tells you exactly where this bus is and when it will be at your stop, in real time. It takes roughly 15 minutes to get through Wayne on this bus. The Majority of people in Wayne will get picked up by this bus between 7:20 and 7:35. Is that anecdotdotal? Is that before 7am?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:20 AM

And on the way home that bus leaves PABT at 4:45, 5:28 and 6pm. Those are all rush hour times last I checked. Even with traffic the total bus ride home is 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on where u live in Wayne. How far you have to walk from the bus to your house depends on where you chose to buy your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey