Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 04:24 PM

116 posts, read 234,719 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am interested in moving my family to Little Falls, NJ. Any advice, tips? I would like any and all suggestions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 04:50 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
Expensive and lots of floods.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Expensive and lots of floods.

Hello, thank you, i saw the floods in the news and its a little worrisome. I am coming from Queens, NY I am looking at town homes and they are building them near the train. I checked the FEMA map and it said its not in a flood zone area though its literally .5 miles away from the riverss.

Other than mother nature, may I ask how the town life is? Restaurants/Bars/nightlife. We are a mid 30's couple with a new born. Just looking at starting out on our own.

Thanks again

Old 08-25-2018, 10:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
It's a sleepy little suburban town.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:03 AM

I worked at the State Police Lab in Little Falls (which just got flooded out again) back in the 70's. I always liked the area but could not afford to live there (lived in Roselle Park at the time).

Old 08-26-2018, 01:43 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
It's a nice, small town (with a train station), but yeah, carefully check the flood zones. The Passaic swells during periods of heavy rains. This is from two weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9167AYsz-8

Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 PM

510 posts, read 499,836 times
I live in Little Falls not too far off from those townhouses. That area by the train station is not flood prone like it is in the Singac section (along the Passaic River) or that area that was hit by flash flooding recently, both of those areas are geographically at a very low point in town.

Town life is good for it's size. Decent restaurant selection, most BYOB which is very common in North Jersey. Maggie's Town Tavern arguably the local watering hole along with 381 Main. You're also conveniently located near Montclair which has great restaurant choices so you'll unlikely be wanting too much.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
I live in Little Falls not too far off from those townhouses. That area by the train station is not flood prone like it is in the Singac section (along the Passaic River) or that area that was hit by flash flooding recently, both of those areas are geographically at a very low point in town.

Town life is good for it's size. Decent restaurant selection, most BYOB which is very common in North Jersey. Maggie's Town Tavern arguably the local watering hole along with 381 Main. You're also conveniently located near Montclair which has great restaurant choices so you'll unlikely be wanting too much.

Thanks a lot for the good tips! whats the average commute time going to the city and back during rush hour? You think the busses are better option or NJ transit trains?

Thank you all for your tips

Old 08-27-2018, 08:02 PM

510 posts, read 499,836 times
Generally speaking the most convenient way as of right now to get to the city would be the bus, particularly the Park and Ride at the Willowbrook mall which is a direct bus during rush hour. I would say it takes 40-60 minutes to get to Midtown, obviously some days are faster or slower than others. There is a bus that is local which will take you from downtown Little Falls into the city, but it is slower than the direct. It is a nice option if you have car troubles though.

There is a train of course which will take you to Hoboken, you can also switch trains to go to Penn Station. If you work somewhere near a Path station this might be a viable option too. I know there is a train station at Montclair State, technically in Little Falls, but I am unfamiliar with it's schedule.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:31 AM

Well I remember traffic being very bad from the Parkway on 46 during rush hour. I'm sure it has not gotten any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey