Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 08:19 PM

59 posts, read 63,169 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from a coop in Inwood, upper Manhattan to a multi-family home in either Weehawken, Union City, or Jersey City.

My budget is around $600k and under for a two-family, which I know is difficult in Weehawken, but there are some deals/fixer uppers out there. For Jersey City, I'm looking at the Heights, and for Union City, around Palisade ave towards the river.

Can any parents speak about their experience in any of the school districts mentioned above? I am looking for a rising fifth grader, but am of course concerned with middle and high schools as well.

I am also curious about the Interdistrict Public School Choice Program and how it might work in Hudson county. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 02:20 PM

3,987 posts, read 3,538,377 times
The only high schools in Hudson County considered good are the magnet schools. Woodrow Wilson school in Weehawken (which serves kids from Union City) is rated well. I don't know of too many others.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:39 PM

351 posts, read 276,302 times
i would never consider putting my kids through any school in hudson county. i was a substitute teacher in hoboken for a time and was groped during class changes every day until i managed to get out of there. and this was middle school; i'm sure by high school they graduated to rape. i have friends who teach in UC and JC, which is not much better and probably worse.
it's difficult for those schools to find teachers who will stay. after my first day subbing the principal called me to her office and offered to send me back to school to get my teaching degree and stay with them full time. sending kids through such a system is abuse, not kidding.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 PM

650 posts, read 763,647 times
Union city along palisade Ave is best choose. Price still good. You can buy multi family and live in one unit. Tenants pay all expenses and damn nj property tax !!!. I did it. Just check Zillow — you will be find it.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
i would never consider putting my kids through any school in hudson county. i was a substitute teacher in hoboken for a time and was groped during class changes every day until i managed to get out of there. and this was middle school; i'm sure by high school they graduated to rape. i have friends who teach in UC and JC, which is not much better and probably worse.
it's difficult for those schools to find teachers who will stay. after my first day subbing the principal called me to her office and offered to send me back to school to get my teaching degree and stay with them full time. sending kids through such a system is abuse, not kidding.
Most people think of Weehawken as an expensive yuppie area but that's the newly built areas by the water separated from the Hispanic areas nearby JFK Blvd. Once you are near UC and at the edge of Weehawken or JC there are definitely dangerous sections for women to walk alone. I was stuck in traffic on JFK Blvd and I see a lot of men walking around that look like those on mugshots and lineups.

If you gonna move to Weehawken the good areas are very expensive.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:41 PM

3,987 posts, read 3,538,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most people think of Weehawken as an expensive yuppie area but that's the newly built areas by the water separated from the Hispanic areas nearby JFK Blvd. Once you are near UC and at the edge of Weehawken or JC there are definitely dangerous sections for women to walk alone. I was stuck in traffic on JFK Blvd and I see a lot of men walking around that look like those on mugshots and lineups.

If you gonna move to Weehawken the good areas are very expensive.

Don’t listen to this nonsense, Blvd East is probably one of the safest streets in Hudson County. Nobody calls it JFK Blvd; this person is clearly unfamiliar with this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey