Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:22 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times

Advertisements

Before I even post, I want to say that I am aware there will be posts about how I "Did not fulfill my obligation" and "Didn't show responsiblity" and things like that. Point: I don't care. While I really wish those type of posts didn't enter, I have decided they will not stop me posting. For those that actually read and are interested in answering the actual question.

Well, for what I'm talking about. In a town in North NJ (a small town, sort of famous for writing many, many traffic violations...) I recently did get locked up for a driving-related municipal Court offense. Apparently,this town has court one day a week. Okay, cool... And I love about an hour away.

Thanksfully, there was a $750 bail..had someone nice enough to post it,after being in jail two or three days. Using the phone from inside County is not easy, if at all. I somehow got it done, luck was in my side...

Now, as to the point. Date of bail being posted was the 11th. All well and good.

Now, as to the lawsuit part?) - Read carefully, I have the proof.. one being the bail document from jail, the other being the notice to appear in Court... The bail was posted on the 11th. Was "proccesed out" the next day, (the 12th) apparently due to an additional $100 detainer.. which was issued R.O.R. so. The 12th I was released...
I then get a notice in the mail,on or about the 14th, to appear in Court on the 12th. a full (barely?) one day after bail was posted. Standard notice is two-plus weeks....... .....................

I have never. And I do mean never seen this. And it wasn't even my money.

Letter wrote to the judge, and they did NOT un-forfeit the bail money (which wasnt even mine, apparently you can't bail yourself out anymore...)

IS there a lawsuit here? And if so ..how to file it? What to ask for? Any interested lawyers that do this?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:31 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
My quick 5 cents take on this is,,, people always or often say you can sue anyone for anything but,,, what's the point especially if you're butting issues up against those whom are employed full time in 21st century slavery?

All of us would be pissed off too but what's your gain?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:52 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Before I even post, I want to say that I am aware there will be posts about how I "Did not fulfill my obligation" and "Didn't show responsiblity" and things like that. Point: I don't care. While I really wish those type of posts didn't enter, I have decided they will not stop me posting. For those that actually read and are interested in answering the actual question.

Well, for what I'm talking about. In a town in North NJ (a small town, sort of famous for writing many, many traffic violations...) I recently did get locked up for a driving-related municipal Court offense. Apparently,this town has court one day a week. Okay, cool... And I love about an hour away.

Thanksfully, there was a $750 bail..had someone nice enough to post it,after being in jail two or three days. Using the phone from inside County is not easy, if at all. I somehow got it done, luck was in my side...

Now, as to the point. Date of bail being posted was the 11th. All well and good.

Now, as to the lawsuit part?) - Read carefully, I have the proof.. one being the bail document from jail, the other being the notice to appear in Court... The bail was posted on the 11th. Was "proccesed out" the next day, (the 12th) apparently due to an additional $100 detainer.. which was issued R.O.R. so. The 12th I was released...
I then get a notice in the mail,on or about the 14th, to appear in Court on the 12th. a full (barely?) one day after bail was posted. Standard notice is two-plus weeks....... .....................

Letter wrote to the judge, and they did NOT un-forfeit the bail money (which wasnt even mine, apparently you can't bail yourself out anymore...)

IS there a lawsuit here? And if so ..how to file it? What to ask for? Any interested lawyers that do this?
A lawyer would likely cost more than the $750 you would get back. Plus, for $750, wouldn’t you be in small claims court? Can you take the town to small claims court? I dont know. But if you can, you wouldnt need a lawyer. You would just need to bring the letter post marked on the 14, telling you to be in court before the letter was even sent out. I would think that would be evidence enough. Maybe try bringing the letter to the clerk and see if you get anywhere with them first.

Before doing this, you might want to double check the papers you got when released from jail. If it had a court date of the 12th on it, you might not have a case at all.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:01 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Well, for what I'm talking about. In a town in North NJ (a small town, sort of famous for writing many, many traffic violations...)
Let me guess...Rochelle Park?

Old 09-02-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
My quick 5 cents take on this is,,, people always or often say you can sue anyone for anything but,,, what's the point especially if you're butting issues up against those whom are employed full time in 21st century slavery?

All of us would be pissed off too but what's your gain?
Well.. there are two possible avenues of gain.

Firstly, I think the town did in fact violate established legal procedure. I was able to post the $100 bail, that one from Jersey City... (Released, still had to post that bail to get a court date. It's for 3 MONTHS later there. Hmmmm) - but. This small town... Expects me to go to court two days before the letter even showed up in the mail? Excuse me? I think that's a lawsuit on at least two different things. (Meaning,. You literally didn't know.) I could be the one to expose an extortionist racket, any judge should be able to see something didn't click and issue a new date ..........

The second is,for the next poor Joe Echmo that gets jammed up, posts bail, only to have someone that scraped up every last dollar and quarter they had to get me out of Country Jail to have it taken away....

I generally distrust lawyers but I do want to know if suit can be made.

I shouldn't have a warrant if the court case was for before I even got the notice. That's not legal.

Once again... date on ($750 cash) bail paper: 11th.
Released from jail: 12th.
Date on notice from court, "postmark:" 11th.
Date on said notice, postmarked "11th:" 12th.
Sidebar: It is because of these two pieces of paper I think I have suit. I have NEVER..... and I think that's illegal... Jobs even always used to say "You can't just say a day in advance you have a court date for a ticket, they mail these things weeks in advance so that you know ..."
Received in mail: Sometime on 14th, at the very earliest. They don't send these things out Certified,you know. Sidebar: I once made a thread on just how long it takes mail to get to Bayonne...

And. Second poster (ansky if it is them,I want them to be blindsided so I'm not ignoring you. But yeah a "ticket trap" kind of situation.

If it was on the up-and-up I'd just be issued a new date due to clear computer error. But for a Judge to say no. Hmm... You'd THINK the clerk can fix it. But watch the police come out with cuffs when you try...

I want monetary damages, I'm not cool with this and I think there is enough here (this happened a few weeks ago) that I dont want to take this laying down... I already dislike NJ and any post you have ever seen me make should make this abundantly clear, I tease the NJ lovers since they must live in a NJ on a different planet. But I am smart. Maybe legally inept, sure, but that doesn't make me wrong...

I want to be the one whose name they remember.. being paid for being defamed and harassed in this way would be nice too... All I need is a new court date but instead this looks more like true extortion...

Last edited by Creamer1; 09-02-2018 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-02-2018, 09:21 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
I generally distrust lawyers but I do want to know if suit can be made.

No matter what opinions might be posted by internet-based strangers with unknown agendas and questionable legal knowledge, only an actual attorney can answer that question for you. Most attorneys do not charge a fee for an initial consultation.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No matter what opinions might be posted by internet-based strangers with unknown agendas and questionable legal knowledge, only an actual attorney can answer that question for you. Most attorneys do not charge a fee for an initial consultation.
It somewhat bugs me that you end every post with this :

However, NowB-):O(+_+) as stated... I don't even know a lawyer to even ask.

I think most are right that if you aren't paying them $1000+ to take your case that they do not care BUT again what kind of lawyer to even ask, I'm somewhat of a legal idiot when it comes to how to make a case ....

Old 09-02-2018, 04:42 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
If you want the bail back and there was a problem with the paperwork, ask the court clerk first. If you need to go higher try the State Attorney General or possibly the county prosecutor for the county the municipality is in.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:07 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:

answer to your question , no.

Save money and just stop,now.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:08 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
It somewhat bugs me that you end every post with this :

However, NowB-):O(+_+) as stated... I don't even know a lawyer to even ask.

I think most are right that if you aren't paying them $1000+ to take your case that they do not care BUT again what kind of lawyer to even ask, I'm somewhat of a legal idiot when it comes to how to make a case ....
Stop , just stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey