Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 09:44 AM

521 posts, read 990,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it bothers me that i was born into a religious group and it is something that i have wanted to eliminate but havent been able to. but i am aware that one way that my religious group disappears is that someone else makes "us" disappear. so yeah, i agree that would be bad. otherwise, i look forward to the religion being removed from my family and the world in general.

Yeah, that would be best. Elimination of religions.

But if you think about it, it will get boring without religions. I like the general holiday, lighting and happiness atmosphere in shops and home around Christmas time just like I enjoy the fire crackers and sweets of Diwali or the delicacies of Eid. Sorry, no idea about Jewish holidays, there were zero Jews where I grew up but I know it now because of the three school holidays this month for them in my town which supposedly has 20 to 25% Jewish population.

Plus when I am in trouble or looking for some moral support (the only time when I remember God), whom should I pray to if there is no religion :-)

Last edited by Shet; 09-07-2018 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 09:51 AM

32,899 posts, read 36,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mightyqueen801 again."
I can't give you a point, either.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:06 AM

19,100 posts, read 25,291,417 times
Unfortunately, I also can't give any more rep points to Mightyqueen801 until I spread some more of those points around...

For the benefit of the supposedly-tolerant "good Christians" who have already weighed-in on this topic, I think it would be appropriate to quote the words of Pastor Martin Niemoller:

Old 09-07-2018, 10:39 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,861,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
Plus when I am in trouble or looking for some moral support (the only time when I remember God), whom should I pray to if there is no religion :-)
This is getting OT, but you pray to what you have faith in. I have faith in other people. Not specific persons, per se, but as Fred Rogers said, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.â€

Like all faith, it's personal and you do what helps, so pray to what you think is working.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:03 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,087,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Even within Bergen there is variation based on population. Hasbbrook heights doesn't get any of the Jewish holidays off. Oakland only gets 1 day of Rosh Hashanah - wouldn't be surprised if other towns switch to one day as the relative population of Jews in public schools becomes more Israeli.

Very good point. And in Fair Lawn, the schools are closed for two weeks for all Jewish High Holidays, closed for a week for Pesah. They are also closed for Russian independence day and Russian Orthodox Christmas in January. Naturally they are open December 25th as practically no one celebrates Catholic Christmas.

I believe this is perfectly good since all the education in the US is controlled on a local level as mentioned by our Great President.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,655,052 times
how to screenshot on windows 7

Old 09-07-2018, 11:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,667,971 times
Most millennials have less affinity towards established religions. All the scandals and abuses uncovered have made religions even less popular. Hopefully one day we don't have so many religious holidays because kids needs to learn in order to compete. We've becoming less competitive because we have so much excess and don't seem to care about keeping our competitive advantages.

Almost all high skilled workers these days are foreign born and many are semi educated in the US because we have too many holidays and pushing too much progressive agenda in schools such as reduction of homework and easy grades for failing students.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:10 AM

23,519 posts, read 17,196,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I'm not xtian but I like x-mas

I could give up easter. You don't get any presents.

Make them roman pagan holidays again!

focus on science
whose version of science?

Old 09-07-2018, 11:24 AM

88,483 posts, read 84,616,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
This is getting OT, but you pray to what you have faith in. I have faith in other people. Not specific persons, per se, but as Fred Rogers said, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

Like all faith, it's personal and you do what helps, so pray to what you think is working.
I find value in most spiritual paths. Crossing the line into saying "THIS is the RIGHT one" and then using your beliefs to try to control or oppress others is where the danger lies.

I love this quote from the Quakers: "I cannot tell you how to experience God. I can only tell you how I experience God."

Some people have no tendency toward a connection with the spiritual at all. They should feel that they are free to state that without receiving judgment, as well.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:55 AM

521 posts, read 990,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Very good point. And in Fair Lawn, the schools are closed for two weeks for all Jewish High Holidays, closed for a week for Pesah. They are also closed for Russian independence day and Russian Orthodox Christmas in January. Naturally they are open December 25th as practically no one celebrates Catholic Christmas.
Really, Fair Lawn is open on Dec 25 ? That's hard to believe.

(Edit: I checked their calendar. They are closed last week of December as Winter recess)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey