Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:57 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

I noticed that this year there are a ton of school closings across various districts for all kinds of strictly-religious holidays like Yom Kippur. At the same time, the schools are dumping strictly-religious holidays like Good Friday. I don't care about any of those holidays, but it looks to me like the public schools are discriminating in favor of a small minority of students/teachers. Has anyone else noticed this?

Here is a recent article on this nonsense:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...pur/752097002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 11:26 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
I think it greatly depends on what district one is in as to whether it is indeed a "small minority," but I think closing for celebrations for any mythical sky parent are a pretty dumb thing in the first place.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:37 AM

10,471 posts, read 6,982,705 times
Agreed schools shouldn't conform to a minority. The Jewish holidays are okay because they fit the fabric of Judeo-Christian nation of which the majority of Americans are, as for Christian Holidays there are only two days a year.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I think closing for celebrations for any mythical sky parent are a pretty dumb thing in the first place.
I completely agree. I have to waste 3 vacation days this month because my kids' school is closed due to Jewish holidays. That's pretty ridiculous considering I'm not Jewish (nor do I practice any religion). There is no reason a public school should close for any religious holiday. If a child celebrates any of those holidays it should be an excused absence from school.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:07 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Agreed schools shouldn't conform to a minority. The Jewish holidays are okay because they fit the fabric of Judeo-Christian nation of which the majority of Americans are, as for Christian Holidays there are only two days a year.
No, it's not ok and the majority of Americans do not celebrate Jewish holidays. I don't know where you're getting your information from.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:53 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
It’s going to get to a point where they are going to have to cancel all religious holidays and just let kids take floating days for their own holidays.

They can’t give off for all of the Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Hindu holidays (and any others)

Add in the NJEA days, Snow days, it’s crazy

Old 09-06-2018, 01:59 PM

332 posts, read 522,414 times
What districts don't close for Good Friday? I think districts close based on the composition of their district. My district would probably have 20% absentee rate on Yom Kippur but I see other districts in the same county that are open Yom Kippur.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:18 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
Growing up in New Jersey, I remember our school district, as well as the one I later taught in, having the Fall Jewish holidays off. The reasoning was that there wouldn't be enough substitutes to cover the teacher/staff absences on those days. So, as it would be excusable for students to miss the days~having to secure subs for up to 1/3 of the teachers and support staff for the days would be a tough task. By contract, these days were to be excused absences (outside of personal days or sick days) for teachers of the practicing religion~leaving the remaining teachers having to teach. In the long run, it was an administrative and contractual nightmare.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i think that there should be no religious holidays for schools unless they legitimately cant staff on those days. even still, i think that they should handle staffing in the beginning of the year and make sure there is no issues in any religious holiday. christian is the biggest group but do i seriously believe that they cant go to work on good friday? how many of them are actually going to church?

Old 09-06-2018, 02:26 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Wow. Public schools get paid per pupil and for every pupil that attends school on any given day. if enough kids don't go to school on that given day, the school doesn't get paid and the school loses money.

Most of the time Jewish kids (and parents) take the day or days off according to their level of observance. All the kids who practice non christian religions have to do the same.

The antisemitism (for all non christian religions) on this thread is really appalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey