Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 02:21 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times

Advertisements

My sister-in-law and her husband moved to Forks Twp, which is a section of Easton, just north of downtown. He commutes to Mount Arlington each day, and ******* and moans about it. He gets home at 8 pm, gets in around 9 am. They want the McMansion, and the fancy toys (motorcycles and such). However, my take on this is different. To me, the boundary of NJ/PA, especially around Phillipsburg, Delaware River, etc, is an intangible natural feature. That is to say, NJ has sprouted a fifth column, that in the name of Monroe and Northampton County, PA. In terms of culture, look and feel, these areas are NJ in every scope except for the names, the license plates, and the self-serve gasoline bays. The property taxes, for instance, resemble NJ way more than PA. So too does the congestion, the perfunctory strip malls, and the proliferation of 35k SUVs. These areas of PA have WAY more in common with NJ, than say, Latrobe, or Johnstown. As a final reminder, ask yourself which way the traffic is flowing in these places. In the case of Easton, does more traffic in the morning head towards a) Allentown, or b) New Jersey? We know what the answer is. So, really these places are on the outer perimeter of the NYC MSA, as defined by the U.S. Census. These ex-New Jerseyans who move there like to think they are moving to 'the country', but they are fooling themselves. Until they are free of influence from that NYC orbit, they are still suburbanites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 03:43 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,894 times
Yes I did relocate to Bethlehem, PA from NJ and am loving it - now mind you don't think things will be cheaper if you move because there is always a big sacrifice somewhere.

I live right by the LVI Airport and close to route 78 - commute to work in NJ 2-3 days a week....the commute might feel like a drain but do not do it if you don't think you can handle it...in short its not for the timid you got to be built for it.

=================

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingout View Post
If so, any regrets? Please state whereabout in Pa and comparisons to schools, home prices, property taxes, conveniences, ....
Thanks!

Old 04-02-2008, 04:11 PM

93 posts, read 299,964 times
My husband commutes about 4 hours a day now, planning to sell the business at this point so commuting won't be an issue. I have heard good things about Bethlehem. Any input on the schools?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 PM

93 posts, read 299,964 times
I have to say I was surprised to see mostly negative feedback. Thanks for the ops.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,603,014 times
Alot of areas along Rt. 80 close to PA have very inexpensive homes and the taxes are relatively cheap! I would try those areas before considering moving to PA. PA is getting up there with jersey insofaras taxes are concerned!

Last edited by wileynj; 04-02-2008 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Spelling yet again!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 PM

328 posts, read 1,197,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Alot of areas along Rt. 80 close to PA have very inexpensive homes and the taxes are relatively cheap! I would try those areas before considering moving to PA. PA is getting up there with jersey insofaras taxes are concerned!
And the locals in PA feel the NY/NJ people have ruined their once perfect communities. I can relate to both sides of the issue. But you can't blame people for trying to seek out a better life for themselves and their families. Nothing ever stays the same. Except NJ corruption of course.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:13 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,375,484 times
We looked at moving out there several years ago from Middlesex County. We had started looking in Warren County, ended up talking to a realtor in P-Burg who worked over the border, and heard "just head a few miles over the border and you can cut your costs in half". A few hours later, we were around 15 miles into PA before we found anything really worthwhile, which would have meant around a 45 mile commute to my office at the intersection of 78 and 287.

Having watched the horrific traffic on (and getting onto) 78 westbound every day as I tried to get past it to go down 287 south, I realized that it wasn't going to be a good idea for us to move out there. Several of my co-workers lived around Easton, and their commutes were over an hour on most days, with commutes of 2+ hours not being unusual in rain, or god forbid, snow. And while the homes were definitely cheaper than in NJ, they weren't the bargain that they were in the years prior, unless you went much further into PA.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:47 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,896 times
We moved from Ocean County NJ to Bucks co Pa a few years back. While in NJ, my commute to work was an hour and 10 minutes to go 38 miles. When we went to Pa my commute went to an hour and 20 minutes to go 70 miles to the same location. It was actually an easier and more of a relaxed drive do to taking a less crowded route. My wifes commute went from 40 minutes to an hour so we really didn't sacrifce to much time commuting. As far as housing we had a great house in NJ and our house in Pa is also great and cost slightly less then our house NJ. We like the area in Pa better as it is more spread out and dosen't have strip malls at every intersection. Traffic is much lighter although shopping is further away. Schoos here are just as good as NJ.The big bonus is we really lowered our cost of living. Our property taxes are 5,000.00 less in Pa. Our income taxes are less in Pa saving us atleast 3,000.00 a year. Our car insurance went down 1200.00 a year. Utility costs are less but not actually sure what we are saving but its atleast 1000.00 less do to no absurd water bill. Overall for us it was agreat move. As far as people commuting I would say if you have to go to NYC, don't do it.If you are just traveling back to NJ to work then its really not that bad.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:24 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,598 times
We moved just north of Milford. Hubby commutes to Saddle Brook everyday. He's on the road 3-4 hours. I think ONCE during the winter it took him an hour longer to get home. He does travel off hours though. He leaves home @ 10am for 12p to work. I think it's definitely worth it. The Delaware Valley School District is awesome.

NJ -
3 sm br ranch 80x100 lot $4000 taxes/yr
3 lg br log home on a little over 4 acres $4700/yr taxes

You tell me where you get more for your money. Utilities are about the same, car ins is A LOT less. Granted more in gas to commute especially with the way prices are now and a little more wear/tear on the vehicles. Also for us now, no more lake community dues of $1000/yr.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:28 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,619,549 times
Where abouts near Milford? We looked in lake communitys before coming back to NJ but just couldnt decide on any. I heard the Delaware Valley Schools are one of the best up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey