Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Town Do You Favor?
Williamstown 4 50.00%
Sicklerville 1 12.50%
Vineland 1 12.50%
Maple Shade 0 0%
Delran 4 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:52 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy34 View Post
So Sicklerville you have to be careful what area you buy into? I have seen new development there on the real estate sites, but I'm wondering if it is near the troubled areas?
I don't know it that well. While I've been there many times, I haven't mapped the "scruffy looking" areas down there.

It'll take me a while to find it, but there's one street full of McMansions with a $2Million+ house at the end of the street. I find that hilarious. It's not Sicklerville, but some township which probably has low taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 05:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It will all depend where you want to work. I live in Williamstown now, and work in health care. I cover buildings in Ocean View, Carney's Point and Vineland. The entire shore area including Galloway is open to me, as is Washington Twp and areas of Camden county....BUT I would not want to have to drive to Philly from here, although my bf does it every day. 42 is pretty bad in the mornings. He may take back roads for a lot of it, which there are many down here, but of course that adds time. Of course there is the option of the trains, which you can take from Hammonton or Atco, but that will add time, too.

Vineland would be a bit easier, as you can take 55, however the area where 55 merges into 42 can be nightmarish at rush hour.
Maple Shade is closest to Philly, but is going to be traffic-heavy all the time, where Williamstown and Vineland are more peaceful in general.

Sicklerville has gone downhill since I grew up there many moons ago. I like living in Williamstown, and most of my family has lived here for years. Yes, we have a few neighbors who have junk in their yard, but it's friendly and peaceful and there aren't any problems with crime.

If Phllly is where you want to be working however, I would look at towns on the Hi-Speedline route, such as Collingswood or Haddon Heights. To take a train from down here, you'd have to drive to Hammonton or Atco and take the AC line to the Lindenwold Hi-Speedline station. Doable, but time consuming. Of course it's more city-like in those areas vs country down here.
What part of town are you in? Driving to Philly from by the high school isn't that bad. We used to drive at various times; some during rush hour. There are areas that get congested then the highway opens up and goes faster. Used to take about 40 minutes to drive to Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
It still is! Unc remodeled his townhome and it's really, really nice in there.

Applebee's is closeby, too.
We were looking there when we moved but weren't able to find anything.

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to give me this information. I lived in Williamstown or a short bit but never got the chance to explore.
What part of Williamstown did you live in and how long ago? Where I am was built about 2006, they finished building it a few years ago. We're connected to Twelve Oaks which wasn't finished building. There is a new developer finishing it, he's put about 6 new homes in and between the high school and WaWa on the WaWa side is another new development. We had originally looked her in 1999 when there wasn't much. My hub used to skydive.

We have a Walmart, Target, Depot, Lowes, Old Navy, Petsmart, 5 Below, Marshall's and Ross and a few other stores on my side of town which would fall under Turnersville/ Washington Township. On the other side of town (by Corkery) there's a Williamstown Walmart. We have 4 WaWa's, a Shop Rite, a few dollar stores and 4 or 5 different banks, a few Chinese food places and tons of pizza including Domino's. If it's been a while since you've been here, I suggest planning to stay a few days during the week to explore and test drive going to Philly. Do the same for any other areas you're interested in.

Quote:
I'm originally from Scotch Plains NJ and don't know a great deal about South Jersey. Again, thank you for taking the time.
I'm from Roselle (not Roselle Park) but spent most of my life in Watchung on Somerset street working for my dad at our gas-service station. I love the area but it's so expensive. Roselle has also changed since I lived there last in the 90's. When my parents moved in 2005 I went to the post office, they had bullet proof glass. I told my dad he needs to get out of there, thankfully he did. He built in Browns Mills where there's cheap taxes. We used to live there too but the town went down hill.

Quote:
So Sicklerville you have to be careful what area you buy into? I have seen new development there on the real estate sites, but I'm wondering if it is near the troubled areas?
Do you remember the name or address of the development? I personally wouldn't live there because there isn't much there in terms of shopping like we have in Williamstown. Cross Keys road as Wawa, Target, Lowes, Acme, Shop Rite and a newer shopping area by the AC Expressway that has Texas Road House and a few other restaurants. I couldn't tell you what stores are there except a shoe place. It's easy to get to from Williamstown. Cross Keys Road is always congested. It would drive me nuts living there.

Quote:
My husband and I are a gay mixed couple. I'm from Scotch Plains NJ, and he is from Herkimer NY (Upstate). He does buying and selling of antiques and collectibles to supplement his income. It's something that he loves to do and needs to be near a larger city for buying and selling with more older homes and antiques. I've been with the same home improvement retailer for 14 years and I'm finishing up my MBA in Human Resources management. After I transfer back to NJ, I want to explore other options with companies for HR. Most of my family is deceased and not in Scotch Plains, they are scattered over NJ and NYC.
What would be your partners town wish list for South Jersey antiques?

Old 09-16-2018, 08:54 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What part of town are you in? Driving to Philly from by the high school isn't that bad. We used to drive at various times; some during rush hour. There are areas that get congested then the highway opens up and goes faster. Used to take about 40 minutes to drive to Thomas Jefferson

We were looking there when we moved but weren't able to find anything.

What part of Williamstown did you live in and how long ago? Where I am was built about 2006, they finished building it a few years ago. We're connected to Twelve Oaks which wasn't finished building. There is a new developer finishing it, he's put about 6 new homes in and between the high school and WaWa on the WaWa side is another new development. We had originally looked her in 1999 when there wasn't much. My hub used to skydive.

We have a Walmart, Target, Depot, Lowes, Old Navy, Petsmart, 5 Below, Marshall's and Ross and a few other stores on my side of town which would fall under Turnersville/ Washington Township. On the other side of town (by Corkery) there's a Williamstown Walmart. We have 4 WaWa's, a Shop Rite, a few dollar stores and 4 or 5 different banks, a few Chinese food places and tons of pizza including Domino's. If it's been a while since you've been here, I suggest planning to stay a few days during the week to explore and test drive going to Philly. Do the same for any other areas you're interested in.

I'm from Roselle (not Roselle Park) but spent most of my life in Watchung on Somerset street working for my dad at our gas-service station. I love the area but it's so expensive. Roselle has also changed since I lived there last in the 90's. When my parents moved in 2005 I went to the post office, they had bullet proof glass. I told my dad he needs to get out of there, thankfully he did. He built in Browns Mills where there's cheap taxes. We used to live there too but the town went down hill.

I too hate the Cross Keys area. I’ve sat through the light at the bypass and the pike through multiple cycles after visiting my mom. Since then I’ve learned the back ways.

Do you remember the name or address of the development? I personally wouldn't live there because there isn't much there in terms of shopping like we have in Williamstown. Cross Keys road as Wawa, Target, Lowes, Acme, Shop Rite and a newer shopping area by the AC Expressway that has Texas Road House and a few other restaurants. I couldn't tell you what stores are there except a shoe place. It's easy to get to from Williamstown. Cross Keys Road is always congested. It would drive me nuts living there.

What would be your partners town wish list for South Jersey antiques?
I live farther south, several miles south of the new Walmart on the pike. It might be just my own biases, I despise a lot of traffic and go out of my way time-wise to avoid it. As I said my fiancé drives every day to areas like Horsham which are even worse than driving to Philly, and he doesn’t seem to mind it much. While I went to school in center city Philly and took the train every day cause I was afraid to drive into the city!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:48 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,157 times
Quote:
If you move to Delran, say hello to my Uncle.

Oh wait.. I think that's Southampton. Used to live in Delran.

Not sure any of the towns posted are ghetto. Want ghetto? Move to the center of Newark, 13th st 12th St, S Orange Ave etc, Vailsburg park

SECTION 8 DESTROYS NEIGHBORHOODS.........

Old 09-16-2018, 12:36 PM

36 posts, read 40,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Williamstown is kind of far from Philly and not a great commute and also not convenient to the Turnpike to go to JC/NYC. Like a lot of South Jersey, it doesn’t have rail and isn’t a very “happening†place. “Downtown†is dead and vacant, as again, like many other SJ towns, the allure of a walkable downtown has not materialized into a strong revival. You just get the sense that the whole town is lifeless. Vineland and Sicklerville are high crime middle of nowhere rural exurbs. Maple Shade is closer to Philly and the Turnpike but also has run down and poor sections.

At least Delran is more accessible to Philly and the Turnpike. It’s like Williamstown, but with better access to the cities. The property tax would also probably be slightly better, as Burlington County rates are typically better than Gloucester County rates. The other towns I mentioned are also of the same veneer as Delran and give you roughly the same access, as all are pretty close to the Turnpike, or at least 130 to eventually get you to the Turnpike.

Collingswood is very gay-friendly, and you have PATCO into Philly. Maybe take a look there or neighboring Westmont. But if I were you, I would honestly not look at South Jersey at all. I’d say either look in North Jersey close to NYC, judging on your budget maybe Kearny, Harrison, Bloomfield, or Belleville, or look in Bucks County, PA. DO NOT make any decision to live based off of having an NJ Transit AC Line station nearby. There is a reason to suspect that line will be permanently shut down in the near future. PATCO is sticking around though.
Thank you so much for giving me an informative background about the area. We are looking into South Jersey as my partner buys and sells antiques and want to be near a larger city but not NYC. The probability for buying antiques etc is better there with older families wanting to have estate sells with older homes. Not to mention Northern NJ is very expensive now. The closer you get to NYC the more the houses are and there is no land around the house. We are trying to get away from having a city that we live in on a regular basis. I like to go to NYC on the weekends, but don't want to live there. I will be looking into Collingswood etc they seem like great choices. Why are you suspecting that the Atlantic City Line on NJ Transit will be shut down? What is going on with NJ Transit train?

Old 09-16-2018, 02:41 PM

856 posts, read 704,352 times
Quote:
For so many reasons, we are moving back, but I will say Arizona is just not home, NJ is home for me.
Interesting, it sometimes takes time to realize that I suppose. Good for you and I wish you all the best here in the Garden State.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:27 PM

Default Atlantic City Line

Atlantic City-Philadelphia rail line to shut down in September

Old 09-16-2018, 06:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,750,597 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for giving me an informative background about the area. We are looking into South Jersey as my partner buys and sells antiques and want to be near a larger city but not NYC. The probability for buying antiques etc is better there with older families wanting to have estate sells with older homes. Not to mention Northern NJ is very expensive now. The closer you get to NYC the more the houses are and there is no land around the house. We are trying to get away from having a city that we live in on a regular basis. I like to go to NYC on the weekends, but don't want to live there. I will be looking into Collingswood etc they seem like great choices. Why are you suspecting that the Atlantic City Line on NJ Transit will be shut down? What is going on with NJ Transit train?
They already temporarily shut the AC Line down for PTC upgrades. While that is temporary, the unique thing here is that for other lines, they just cut the service back. But they completely shut the line down altogether because they want to divert their personnel to North Jersey lines also going through the PTC upgrade. It would not be a surprise if, when the time comes, hey just goose not to re-open the line. It has the lowest ridership of all NJT lines and runs at a considerable loss. The AC Line, or trains in South Jersey period, is not a major state priority. The attention is all on the north. That is where the demand is, and the AC Line is a red headed step child, like a bone the state threw to the south 30 or so years ago just to give them SOME train after South Jersey Counties complained and threatened secession due to feeling ignored. The state never REALLY wanted to invest in SJ rail. Things have not changed since then.

Just note that Collingswood and the rest of Camden County’s property tax rates are horrendous, even by NJ standards. They are not only the highest in the state but among the highest in the nation. You may find heap property, but just note that the property taxes you pay as a percentage of the property value can potentially approach 4%.

I think Bucks County areas like Langhorne, the “good” parts of Bensalem, hell, even Northeast Philly itself in neighborhoods like Tacony which feel more suburban could be better choices. Places like Newtown, Upper Makefield, and Yardley are probably out of your price range. If not them, then focus on Collingswood/Westmont (property tax issue being understood) or the other Burlington County towns I mentioned.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It still is! Unc remodeled his townhome and it's really, really nice in there.

Like that's a plus.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:00 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Like that's a plus.
Well, if somebody is too busy to microwave food for himself/herself, then he/she can go to Applebee's, and have their staff microwave low-quality frozen food for them. You and I clearly don't perceive this to be a "plus", but for those who are unsophisticated regarding the nature and the poor quality of the food in that Microwave Palace, perhaps it might be an advantage to have a nearly Applebee's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey