Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM

687 posts, read 3,251,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
How many of us have a fondue set in the cabinet over the frig! You know, the cabinet we never open!!!!
Seriously. People always have them, but seldom use them. It is great to get a group together and have everybody bring their sets. Then you can do cheese in one, the broths/oils in others, and chocolate in another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 AM

26 posts, read 94,461 times
We went to one in Somerville for the 1st time recently. We were 2nd in and by the time we left the place was packed (and very warm!).

We liked it but as someone else said be prepared to be there quite some time. It was a special occasion for us too and we had the Big Night Out... was way too much food but very good!

It is certainly a little bit different and very family orientated so I think you would have a fun night.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 AM

7 posts, read 58,752 times
I got sick - probably form not cooking the RAW meat they gave me well enough. I would rather eat cereal at home - that would be more gormet. Worst place ever.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 AM

531 posts, read 2,149,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjap View Post
I got sick - probably form not cooking the RAW meat they gave me well enough. I would rather eat cereal at home - that would be more gormet. Worst place ever.
Well, other posters on this thread have implied that cooking your own food is the norm in fondue restaurants. I had no idea. Melting Pot is the only one I've ever been to.

So maybe those of us who expect others to do the cooking when we're paying, oughta go somewhere else.

I dunno, I don't wanna have to cook, and pay too!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:07 PM

10 posts, read 55,964 times
Default I love that restaurant...*m

it's my favorite! I've been to the one in Red Bank 4 times. Yummy!

Old 07-04-2008, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,280 times
Default Awesome place!

Well you have probably been there already. May be not!

All I can say is I have a wonderful time every time I go to the Somerville location - which is about once a month! Love the food and the service is awesome. To all the reviewers complaining about self cooking, it is after all a fondue place. What do you expect?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:12 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,218 times
I would recomment trying it if you haven't. Yes, it's expensive 45-50 a person without drinks but that includes (appetizer, dinner and dessert). It's worth it, maybe once a year. If you have a group of 6, you can get 2 or 2/1 meals. You can share the couple's menu because of the amount of food. Just have to buy the extra salads and order drinks. Also, the tip is added on for you But, soooo worth it.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:09 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,668,815 times
It is, but I'd rather use my set - I've even got some godiva vanilla liqueur and chocolate liqueur to use with it

Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've been to the one in Whippany. Probably wouldn't go back. We had a blast, it was a lot of work (especially if you have a group, with all the yakking and drinking you can lose track of your meat, LOL) and I thought it was pretty expensive considering you cooked it yourself. It was fun and different though, and the food was good. It's just a BTDT type of place to me.

Funny ancedote - my friend got there before us, sat at the bar, and ordered a glass of Santa Margarita wine. She put $10 on the bar which should have been PLENTY. The bartender's like..."Uh, miss, it's $14". She's like, "I thought I was in WHIPPANY, not NYC!". If I were to go back, I'd just do dessert.

I don't know if the Whippany one is near you, but if it is, I'd skip it and do Ruth's Chris instead
Yikes $14 for a glass of Santa Margherita???? I think a whole bottle is like $25 something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey