Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 05:04 AM

532 posts, read 1,464,966 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying a home in one of these 3 towns.
Interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the differences / Pros and Cons of Rockaway Township/Boonton Township and Denville.
My take so far...Boonton Township has lower taxes than Rockaway Township but the house prices are higher.
Denville it is rare to find a lot as large as Boonton Township or Rockaway Township.
Denville Downtown the nicest and biggest variety of places to eat.
I always liked a small town with a community feel.
Would love to hear from people who have lived or live in any of these towns with any negatives or positives about the area.
Also are there any polluted areas to stay away from ?
Thanks.

Last edited by beachouse; 09-19-2018 at 05:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 05:48 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
1) Make sure whatever you buy in Denville is above the flood levels of Sandy
2) Rockaway Township is vast and varies alot.

Dont live there but work in Rockaway for 11 years.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I have friends that live in Denville and other friends that live in Boonton. Both families like the towns they live in. There is a lot of family activities and plenty of nice neighborhoods. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Jay

Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 AM

532 posts, read 1,464,966 times
Thanks for the responses.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:00 AM

856 posts, read 704,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Thinking about buying a home in one of these 3 towns.
Interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the differences / Pros and Cons of Rockaway Township/Boonton Township and Denville.
My take so far...Boonton Township has lower taxes than Rockaway Township but the house prices are higher.
Denville it is rare to find a lot as large as Boonton Township or Rockaway Township.
Denville Downtown the nicest and biggest variety of places to eat.
I always liked a small town with a community feel.
Would love to hear from people who have lived or live in any of these towns with any negatives or positives about the area.
Also are there any polluted areas to stay away from ?
Thanks.
I grew up in the area.

It depends what you are looking for. I think your observations are all correct, I would add that Rockaway Township will have the highest taxes, followed by Denville then Boonton Township. As far as housing costs, I'm not exactly sure what the average price per square foot in each town is to compare, but since Boonton Township is the wealthiest and smallest town of the three the houses on the market will be the highest. Boonton Township and Rockaway Township don't really have a downtown, so Denville and the Town of Boonton (next to be separate of Boonton Township) will be your downtowns in either of those. However, Rockaway Township does have the mall.

All three towns have some nice housing developments. Rockaway Township and Boonton Township have some beautiful country, Denville is more suburban but does have some nice lake communities with a country feel.

My advice: look in Lake Telemark (Rockaway Township), White Meadow Lake (Rockaway Township), Cedar Lake (Denville), and Indian Lake (Denville). I say this because I think they have a community feel and three of the four are close to downtown Denville. If your budget is above $500k, then I'd add Boonton Township to that.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:50 PM

109 posts, read 345,406 times
I live in Rockaway, and when we moved from Parsippany, we would have chosen Denville or Boonton if we would have found something we could afford and liked. The closer to the city, the better, IMO. Taxes are high, we're paying $9000 for a 1400sqft house, and we have to pay for garbage lol. Also, we found out that the rockaway mall fought their tax assessment and won, so now every house in the township is being re-assessed so taxes will be even higher.

The politics here are also garbage. After the mayor died, the town council fired the township attorney and hired the TA from Parsippany, who is a scumbag (and was also fired from Parsippany). Check out this link.

https://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/...rim_mayor.html

Old 10-01-2018, 04:33 PM

10,479 posts, read 6,991,011 times
Take a ride through all the towns and see what you like, all towns are fine. In my opinion, if you're looking to buy with a family stay as far away as possible from Dover, Denville is one of my favorite towns in NJ, just stay away from the River (house prices will be significantly lower as it floods there).

Old 10-13-2018, 12:58 PM

7 posts, read 6,025 times
I work in Rockaway/Denville/Boonton Twp and I live in Boonton Township. The Township is definitely a small town feel but has town activities throughout the year. It’s one of those.. everyone knows everyone which can be nice these days! I personally love it- not one traffic signal in the Township, traffic in general is low for the area and it’s so peaceful. A major pro- proximity to Denville downtown and Boonton downtown and both hold many events! Boonton has movies in the park during the summer and even had an outdoor art exhibit this summer. Denville has areas of flood, but plenty of areas that don’t too. You can’t really go wrong with any of those towns, just depends what you are looking to get out of the town you decide on!

Also, keep in mind that sometimes paying a higher price for a home with lower taxes can be a good strategy. Taxes typically go up every year... your mortgage (if a fixed rate) will not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey