Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 PM

23 posts, read 29,989 times

Advertisements

I have similar background with Bronx4, except I can accept 75 mins commute.

Do you think Raritan Train towns will be good for this budget (Westfield, Scotch Plain, Fanwood).

Just wondering if anyone knows how's the morning and evening rush hour commute (taking NJ train) from Westfield to Rockefeller?

Also, just wondering how's the Friday afternoon commute time from Westfield to WTC. Is the commute time on train schedule accurate ?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:21 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
Google has pretty accurate commute times for specific locations, that'll probably be your best bet.

But I'm willing to bet that 75 minutes from Westfield to Rock Center isn't going to be a daily occurrence. I get on the 8:17 in Cranford and get out at 14th and 6th (PATH Train) about 70 minutes later. Add in walking time on either end of about 10 minutes and my commute is 80 minutes from two stops closer and I'm not trying to go all the way across town and up 15 blocks.

WTC is probably possible in 60 minutes, depending, catching PATH from Newark Penn directly there is a huge time saver when i go downtown.

Sorry, I didn't see you mention a budget, but you're going to have to talk about how many bedrooms and the like you're looking for too.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:37 PM

23 posts, read 29,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Google has pretty accurate commute times for specific locations, that'll probably be your best bet.

But I'm willing to bet that 75 minutes from Westfield to Rock Center isn't going to be a daily occurrence. I get on the 8:17 in Cranford and get out at 14th and 6th (PATH Train) about 70 minutes later. Add in walking time on either end of about 10 minutes and my commute is 80 minutes from two stops closer and I'm not trying to go all the way across town and up 15 blocks.

WTC is probably possible in 60 minutes, depending, catching PATH from Newark Penn directly there is a huge time saver when i go downtown.

Sorry, I didn't see you mention a budget, but you're going to have to talk about how many bedrooms and the like you're looking for too.
Thanks for quick reply. I want a start-up condo/townhouse (2 bedroom) that below 450K. I am not too familiar with the real estate market of Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plain and Fanwood.

By reading your commute time, I would expect a 80mins to 90 mins commute to Rockfeller then.

If I want 75 mins commute, will Summit, Chatham, New Providence possible to achieve? But I heard these towns are more expensive then Westfield, Cranford, Scotch Plain and Fanwood.... Am I right?

Old 11-07-2018, 03:40 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
Well, if you have kids Cranford and Westfield are great, you might find a townhome in that budget.

If you don't have kids I wouldn't move to either of those towns, you're paying for a ton of school-related things you're not using. A 3BR townhome just sold around the corner from me for around 700K, for example.

There's a sticky at the top of the forum, you should probably just start a whole new thread just for you, you'll get better answers.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,085 times
Regardless of where in NJ, the constant failures of NJ Transit / Amtrak (they ien the rails bith run in) just adds to the woes of getting into NYC.

If you are young, you can take it. Do it for a few decades and it not only wears on you, it can affect your health.

Good luck finding a place that will fit your needs

Old 11-28-2018, 11:12 AM

31 posts, read 35,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Regardless of where in NJ, the constant failures of NJ Transit / Amtrak (they ien the rails bith run in) just adds to the woes of getting into NYC.

If you are young, you can take it. Do it for a few decades and it not only wears on you, it can affect your health.

Thank you. That withstanding, I am not sure there is a much better option.

Homes in Westchester are just too small and expensive.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_four View Post

Good luck.

Maybe you can find a large apartment first to rent and then search around to find a home / house that fits your need/budget

Good luck!

Old 12-08-2018, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,252 times
Middletown or Atlantic Highlands might be good options for you. Bus lines, ferries to Midtown and lower Manhattan. Home prices aren't too crazy. Close to the beach. Commute by ferry from Atlantic Highlands to Wall St. is 40 minutes.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,954,329 times
Look at Howell NJ, along Route 9, around Aldrich Rd. and Route 9, near the commuter bus stop (and commuter bus parking lot for cars) would give you what you want. Good schools in Howell with school bus service through high school. Lots of single family houses in the $300 to $500K range. Real estate taxes in the $6K to 10K range. You will save on utilities. Plenty of shopping and services. Express bus to midtown should get you there in less than 75 minutes if you leave early or late and avoid rush hour traffic. Winston Park is middle class, safe and quiet and a three block walk or ride to the Express Bus stop. Most houses in Winston Park are between $250 and $350K. We chose to retire here a decade ago after living in SI and working in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Across Aldrich Rd on the South side of Aldrich Rd is is Arden with more expensive houes but mostly still under $400K, more of a cookie cutter manicured neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_four View Post

Last edited by bobspez; 12-13-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 12:09 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,088,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post

And you think driving is better? Driving in traffic is horrible for person's health because of stress and of constant seating. It is also deadly as typically about 500 people a year are called on NJ roads.

I would take NJT over driving on NJ congested roads any time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey