Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-20-2021, 10:13 AM
 
Location: close to home
6,203 posts, read 3,558,148 times
Reputation: 4761

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You also have to be very naive to believe what random posters on the Interwebz tell you.

So tell us exactly, wise one, how do you know that Murphy really doesn't want pot legalized, and why?

I have no idea myself, but if this is just another MURPHY IS EVIL political post, you don't, either.

Murphy, just like every other politician in the USA, has one overriding goal that influences every decision: Keeping his job. So, he's got to somehow show that when he signs the legalization act, it will mean that minors will not have easy access to pot or Mommies and Daddies won't vote for him next time. I suspect that is the reason for the delay.
They have easy access now, and only ignorant mommies and daddies believe otherwise. I would argue, regulating might actually make it a little harder, but I take your point.

 
Old 02-20-2021, 10:33 AM
 
Location: NYC
20,550 posts, read 17,751,772 times
Reputation: 25616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Maybe. But I think the potential tax windfall would be a motivating factor.
Not necessarily, once it's legalized just as much illegal weed will be around to get around the taxes. Legal weed is too expensive just like cigs.
 
Old 02-20-2021, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Boston
20,177 posts, read 9,078,459 times
Reputation: 18894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You also have to be very naive to believe what random posters on the Interwebz tell you.

So tell us exactly, wise one, how do you know that Murphy really doesn't want pot legalized, and why?

I have no idea myself, but if this is just another MURPHY IS EVIL political post, you don't, either.

Murphy, just like every other politician in the USA, has one overriding goal that influences every decision: Keeping his job. So, he's got to somehow show that when he signs the legalization act, it will mean that minors will not have easy access to pot or Mommies and Daddies won't vote for him next time. I suspect that is the reason for the delay.

Watch and learn, he'll create another silly obstacle. Minors had no access to pot when the bill was voted on before his latest delay.
 
Old 02-20-2021, 12:15 PM
 
50,954 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Reputation: 76735
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Watch and learn, he'll create another silly obstacle. Minors had no access to pot when the bill was voted on before his latest delay.
He simply wanted civil penalties for underage use and posession that are the same as we have for alcohol. One of the bills put before him had no penalties at all, while the other made it a criminal offense (disorderly persons) and Murphy wants only civil penalties. You really want criminal penalties to be enacted for minors just to get a bill passed quickly? These are important issues not silly obstacles.

There isn't a single legal state that had recreational use up.and running in a matter of months. Even in Colorado it took two years from the time voters passed it. Its very easy to just point a finger at Murphy but its lazy and inaccurate. There is no reason to think he doesn't want it legalized. He already greatly expanded medicinal use, really just about anyone can get a card now who wants one. You don't even have to go to a doc, you can get a card from an online doc in 15 minutes. So it doesn't make any sense to try to say Murphy doesn't want to make it easier for people to GRT pot.

NJ.com actually has good coverage of the process if people want to actually get facts about what's going on. But again, no legal state has been able to manage it in less than a year. Have you ever been part of a group project that requires everyone to agree on everything? Its not as easy as some seem to believe.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-20-2021 at 12:26 PM..
 
Old 02-20-2021, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Reputation: 115264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
That's one way to see it, but why has it taken him almost his whole term to get there? Obama got Obamacare passed in less time. So Murphy didn't do much. Another way to see it is the influence of big pharma, one of NJ's biggest industries.
Good point. I can definitely see that being an issue, yes. People don't get elected to high office on their good looks and electric personalities, lol. They owe somebody, and in NJ, it's a good bet that big pharma is right up there on the list.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
 
Old 02-20-2021, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Reputation: 115264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
They have easy access now, and only ignorant mommies and daddies believe otherwise. I would argue, regulating might actually make it a little harder, but I take your point.
True. I had no trouble finding pot as a teenager. As a matter of fact, that's how I smoked it the first time. My friend and I went to the Lion's Club Carnival in the next town. We were 14, and we were walking around like we were cool talking to guys and asking "You got any pot?" We thought it was funny. Neither of us had ever smoked pot before.

Then two guys said, "Yeah". My friend and I looked at each other like "uh oh") but we went into the woods with them and smoked it out of a pipe. I don't think we really got high, though.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
 
Old 02-20-2021, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Reputation: 115264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He simply wanted civil penalties for underage use and posession that are the same as we have for alcohol. One of the bills put before him had no penalties at all, while the other made it a criminal offense (disorderly persons) and Murphy wants only civil penalties. You really want criminal penalties to be enacted for minors just to get a bill passed quickly? These are important issues not silly obstacles.

There isn't a single legal state that had recreational use up.and running in a matter of months. Even in Colorado it took two years from the time voters passed it. Its very easy to just point a finger at Murphy but its lazy and inaccurate. There is no reason to think he doesn't want it legalized. He already greatly expanded medicinal use, really just about anyone can get a card now who wants one. You don't even have to go to a doc, you can get a card from an online doc in 15 minutes. So it doesn't make any sense to try to say Murphy doesn't want to make it easier for people to GRT pot.

NJ.com actually has good coverage of the process if people want to actually get facts about what's going on. But again, no legal state has been able to manage it in less than a year. Have you ever been part of a group project that requires everyone to agree on everything? Its not as easy as some seem to believe.
Even in Canada, where legalization was done nationally, it took longer than expected to iron out the kinks in the laws.

Before that, though, indigenous people were openly selling it on their reservations. It was illegal, but nobody bothered them, probably because of all those lawsuits against the government for taking their kids away in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Didn't want to add fuel to the fire.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
 
Old 02-20-2021, 12:50 PM
 
Location: NJ
31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times
Reputation: 24590
its funny because legalization should be nothing more than, its legal now. but purely because of corrupt government, its a process.
 
Old 02-20-2021, 12:56 PM
 
Location: close to home
6,203 posts, read 3,558,148 times
Reputation: 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good point. I can definitely see that being an issue, yes. People don't get elected to high office on their good looks and electric personalities, lol. They owe somebody, and in NJ, it's a good bet that big pharma is right up there on the list.
What is the connection between big pharma and pot? Sorry, I'm not connecting the dots.
 
Old 02-20-2021, 12:59 PM
 
Location: close to home
6,203 posts, read 3,558,148 times
Reputation: 4761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
True. I had no trouble finding pot as a teenager. As a matter of fact, that's how I smoked it the first time. My friend and I went to the Lion's Club Carnival in the next town. We were 14, and we were walking around like we were cool talking to guys and asking "You got any pot?" We thought it was funny. Neither of us had ever smoked pot before.

Then two guys said, "Yeah". My friend and I looked at each other like "uh oh") but we went into the woods with them and smoked it out of a pipe. I don't think we really got high, though.
Haha. That's funny, I didn't get high the first few times I smoked either. We would look at either, like, what's the big deal. Of course, in those days it was $20 an ounce, so I guess we got what we paid for .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top