Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 02:33 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i want to invest in NJ ganja stocks
I don't think that you can currently do this, but--as they used to say back in the Watergate days, as they untangled Tricky Dick's dirty deals--"Follow the money".

Former Speaker of the House, John Boehner (R-Ohio) is on the Board of Directors of Acreage Holdings, one of the larger marijuana growers in The US. About one year ago, his company was supposed to be bought by Canopy Growth, the largest Canadian ganja company, but I don't recall whether that deal was consummated.

I think that an investment in the common shares of Acreage Holdings (assuming that it still exists), or in Canopy Growth, would be a wise move.

https://www.cityandstateny.com/artic...-industry.html

Old 02-22-2021, 02:53 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
i want to invest in NJ ganja stocks
This might interest you:
https://njcannabisinsider.nj.com/abo...ontent=content

Old 02-22-2021, 03:33 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
It's done! Murphy signed 3 bills today officially legalizing pot. They think it could be 6 months to a year before the first stores. They are putting together a commission to take applications for retail licenses and will issue 37 grower's licenses. Home grow is not included in the bill at this time (however the ACLU is continuing to push for this as well as expanding the number of grow licenses).

But arrests stop immediately, and past records will be expunged. There will still be penalties for distribution of more than an ounce, but even these will be reduced. 70% of the retail taxes will go to low income communities, which have born the brunt of the war on drugs and been hurt the most by it. Even in the only 3 month span since voters passed legal weed, NJ cops arrested 6000 people for pot. Pending cases are to be dismissed immediately.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/oceanci...campaign=alert

Republican lawmakers and the police unions are angry about the final bill, which ended up with a "warning" system for underage possession and use. They write warnings, and on the 3rd warning the minor could get some type of community service. It forbids cops from searching minors simply because they smell pot (they hate this part of the bill the most).

The main points:

*New Jersey adults may legally purchase and possess up to one ounce of marijuana.
Criminal penalties will be reduced for those found with larger quantities (distribution of more than one ounce but less than five pounds).

*Retail marijuana sales are subject to state sales tax, and seventy percent of the retail tax revenue will be given to lower-income communities.

*A New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory Commission will be established and will oversee the applications for licensing of cannabis businesses.

*New Jersey will give out licenses to 37 marijuana growers for the first two years. The ACLU criticized this, saying there was no need to cap it at 37. They also said they'll continue to push for home grow, which will not be legal in New Jersey.

*New Jersey's existing medical pot shops will be among those eligible to sell to the public, another thing the ACLU said was an unfair advantage.

*For those already charged with marijuana, the bill also creates an immediate pathway to vacate active sentences. Pending marijuana charges and cases will also be dismissed.

*Those under 21 found with weed will be given a series of written warnings, rather than criminal penalties or fines. Third-time juvenile offenders could receive community service.

*The law also restricts police from conducting searches of juveniles based solely on the odor of marijuana.

There have been several towns such as Secaucus, Old Bridge and Tom's River, who are working to pass laws banning not just marijuana sales, but its use, within their jurisdiction. I don't know if they can put any kind of legal (as in criminal) weight behind them.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:56 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Great news, ocnjgirl. Thanks for the report. I agree that the growers should not be capped, and people should be able to grow some of their own.

In Canada, each adult is allowed to grow up to four plants of their own.

It's the same limit on being able to buy an ounce at a time.

Also, the age here is 19, not 21.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:00 PM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
Perhaps somebody tossed a bag of oreos in as a distraction.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:03 PM

7,363 posts, read 3,529,717 times
Call me skeptical but I'll believe it when I can actually get it

Old 02-22-2021, 04:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
This sounds good. I hope the home grow goes through. There's a lot of people who can't afford dispensary prices or don't want to pay them. It's way cheaper to buy a couple of half gallons of Jack Daniels than a half ounce of dispensary pot. So we will see how it shakes out. A lot can happen in 6 months to a year before the dispensaries are up and running. I believe we've had legal medicinal marijuana for about 10 years and there's only 13 dispensaries for the whole state. Michigan which has a similar population to NJ has 280. Despite the will of the people, NJ has dragged it's heels for a decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's done! Murphy signed 3 bills today officially legalizing pot. They think it could be 6 months to a year before the first stores. They are putting together a commission to take applications for retail licenses and will issue 37 grower's licenses. Home grow is not included in the bill at this time (however the ACLU is continuing to push for this as well as expanding the number of grow licenses).

But arrests stop immediately, and past records will be expunged. There will still be penalties for distribution of more than an ounce, but even these will be reduced. 70% of the retail taxes will go to low income communities, which have born the brunt of the war on drugs and been hurt the most by it. Even in the only 3 month span since voters passed legal weed, NJ cops arrested 6000 people for pot. Pending cases are to be dismissed immediately.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/oceanci...campaign=alert

Republican lawmakers and the police unions are angry about the final bill, which ended up with a "warning" system for underage possession and use. They write warnings, and on the 3rd warning the minor could get some type of community service. It forbids cops from searching minors simply because they smell pot (they hate this part of the bill the most).

The main points:

*New Jersey adults may legally purchase and possess up to one ounce of marijuana.
Criminal penalties will be reduced for those found with larger quantities (distribution of more than one ounce but less than five pounds).

*Retail marijuana sales are subject to state sales tax, and seventy percent of the retail tax revenue will be given to lower-income communities.

*A New Jersey Cannabis Regulatory Commission will be established and will oversee the applications for licensing of cannabis businesses.

*New Jersey will give out licenses to 37 marijuana growers for the first two years. The ACLU criticized this, saying there was no need to cap it at 37. They also said they'll continue to push for home grow, which will not be legal in New Jersey.

*New Jersey's existing medical pot shops will be among those eligible to sell to the public, another thing the ACLU said was an unfair advantage.

*For those already charged with marijuana, the bill also creates an immediate pathway to vacate active sentences. Pending marijuana charges and cases will also be dismissed.

*Those under 21 found with weed will be given a series of written warnings, rather than criminal penalties or fines. Third-time juvenile offenders could receive community service.

*The law also restricts police from conducting searches of juveniles based solely on the odor of marijuana.

There have been several towns such as Secaucus, Old Bridge and Tom's River, who are working to pass laws banning not just marijuana sales, but its use, within their jurisdiction. I don't know if they can put any kind of legal (as in criminal) weight behind them.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Great news, ocnjgirl. Thanks for the report. I agree that the growers should not be capped, and people should be able to grow some of their own.

In Canada, each adult is allowed to grow up to four plants of their own.

It's the same limit on being able to buy an ounce at a time.

Also, the age here is 19, not 21.
Those Ontarians are slowly making you believe that Ontario is Canada

Before it was legal, the federal government permitted provinces and territories, to set some of their own rules.
Most thought that the legal drinking age would be the age set for legally being able to buy and grow cannabis.

Didn't work out that way. In Quebec, the drinking age is 18, but cannabis use is set at 21.

In Manitoba the drinking age is 18, but cannabis use is set at 19.

In Alberta the drinking age is 18 and cannabis use is also 18, the youngest age someone can legally buy cannabis in Canada.

BC is 19 and 19.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:33 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
This sounds good. I hope the home grow goes through. There's a lot of people who can't afford dispensary prices or don't want to pay them. It's way cheaper to buy a couple of half gallons of Jack Daniels than a half ounce of dispensary pot. So we will see how it shakes out. A lot can happen in 6 months to a year before the dispensaries are up and running. I believe we've had legal medicinal marijuana for about 10 years and there's only 13 dispensaries for the whole state. Michigan which has a similar population to NJ has 280. Despite the will of the people, NJ has dragged it's heels for a decade.
In terms of the dispensaries, we went through 8 years of the Christie administration which didn't even want medical pot. The restrictions here were such you had to have a serious condition like cancer or MS to get it. We had the strictest medical marijuana rules of all the states that had MM.

That number, 13, is low, but it is more than double the number we had 2 years ago. Many of them have opened only since 2019 because that is when an Appeals court lifted a ruling that had held back the number of licenses that could be granted. It was limited to six until that ruling was lifted. Again due to resistance from Republican lawmakers and others who really didn't want it at all.

I think as time goes on they will allow home grow, especially with groups like ACLU who plan to continue fighting for it. I'm just happy we have gotten this far right now!

I wonder what the penalties are for growing a few plants under the current bill? I didn't see anything about that, only penalties for distribution were mentioned in the article.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:35 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It forbids cops from searching minors simply because they smell pot (they hate this part of the bill the most).
im so glad that they arent happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey