Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 05:45 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,493,960 times

Advertisements

what about driving under the influence? How can cops check?

Old 02-22-2021, 05:50 PM

50,980 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im so glad that they arent happy
I am too. I can't believe they arrested 6000 people for pot in the last 3 months. It's almost like they wanted to maximize their fun while they could. Regarding the bill signed today:

“This language is anti-police rhetoric at its worst and its consequences will be real,” the state Policemen’s Benevolent Association said in a statement.

I did see a discrepancy in reporting so not sure which is accurate. Ocean City Patch article said one ounce, but NJ.com is saying individuals can have up to 6 ounces. I did get more clarification on minors: on the first offense, they are issued a warning. On the second, their parents are notified, and they are given materials on community groups that offer education on substance use, and on the third offense, they are referred to one of those community education groups.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I don't know, but in Colorado they use blood tests. Even those though are difficult to prove the person was actually driving high and often requires other factors:

"Unlike alcohol, there is no DUI “per se” of marijuana. DUI of drugs must be proved by objective evidence that you were unable to drive safely. However, it is a permissible inference that you drove under the influence of marijuana if your blood contained 5 nanograms or more of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) per milliliter.1 THC is the active ingredient in most strains of marijuana.2

But even this amount of THC in the blood is not conclusive. The best Colorado DUI lawyers can challenge it in court. To prove you guilty of DUI of marijuana, the prosecutor will need to show that you were actually too stoned to drive safely. Such evidence might include:

You violated Colorado traffic laws,
You were weaving in and out of your lane,
You drove too fast or too slow,
You appeared stoned (bloodshot eyes, slurred speech),
The officer smelled marijuana in the car,
There was marijuana paraphernalia in the vehicle (e.g., rolling papers, a bong, a joint clip, etc.), or
Marijuana was found in your car."

Old 02-22-2021, 06:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,594,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
In BC , the cops have road side saliva tests that can detect THC in your system. If none, off you go. If you test they then have to do a blood test at the station.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In BC , the cops have road side saliva tests that can detect THC in your system. If none, off you go. If you test they then have to do a blood test at the station.
That seems like too broad a brush though. I would have pot still in my system even if I hadn't smoked for days. Then you're taken captive for the next 6 or 8 hours. Under what circumstances can they do the road side saliva tests? Do you have to have been showing obvious signs of impairment or can they do them just to harass people with no evidence of wrongdoing required?

I can't believe someone hasn't invented a test yet that can tell if you've smoked in the past couple of hours. I read something about a breathalyzer that was developed that could do that, but I don't know what happened with it.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:50 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In terms of the dispensaries, we went through 8 years of the Christie administration which didn't even want medical pot. The restrictions here were such you had to have a serious condition like cancer or MS to get it. We had the strictest medical marijuana rules of all the states that had MM.

That number, 13, is low, but it is more than double the number we had 2 years ago. Many of them have opened only since 2019 because that is when an Appeals court lifted a ruling that had held back the number of licenses that could be granted. It was limited to six until that ruling was lifted. Again due to resistance from Republican lawmakers and others who really didn't want it at all.

I think as time goes on they will allow home grow, especially with groups like ACLU who plan to continue fighting for it. I'm just happy we have gotten this far right now!

I wonder what the penalties are for growing a few plants under the current bill? I didn't see anything about that, only penalties for distribution were mentioned in the article.
According to a Dec, 2020 article in Forbes Magazine "Under current New Jersey state law, cultivation of ten or more marijuana plants—a modest grow by California or Colorado standards—is a felony crime, punishable by a $150,000 fine or up to ten years in prison. Fewer than ten plants is still a felony, punishable by a prison term of up to five years." This has not changed. The latest info I read was that owning a single plant was a felony which could carry a three year prison sentence.
Another thing to mention is that in NJ they have said it will take 6 months to a year for the 34 dispensaries to start selling product. But in Michigan, they legalized recreational marijuana 6 months ago and already have 143 recreational dispensaries in operation in addition to the 280 medical marijuana dispensaries. NJ seems to be determined to drag this whole process out for as long as they possibly can. So who benefits? Organized crime, big pharma, those in the justice system who investigate, arrest, prosecute and defend and incarcerate people for drug crimes, corporate entities looking to monopolize the legal market? It must be somebody whose foot is firmly on the brakes. In NJ I'll believe it when I see it.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisro...h=1cc88c8e4e33

Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
According to a Dec, 2020 article in Forbes Magazine "Under current New Jersey state law, cultivation of ten or more marijuana plants—a modest grow by California or Colorado standards—is a felony crime, punishable by a $150,000 fine or up to ten years in prison. Fewer than ten plants is still a felony, punishable by a prison term of up to five years." This has not changed. The latest info I read was that owning a single plant was a felony which could carry a three year prison sentence.
Another thing to mention is that in NJ they have said it will take 6 months to a year for the 34 dispensaries to start selling product. But in Michigan, they legalized recreational marijuana 6 months ago and already have 143 recreational dispensaries in operation in addition to the 280 medical marijuana dispensaries. NJ seems to be determined to drag this whole process out for as long as they possibly can. So who benefits? Organized crime, big pharma, those in the justice system who prosecute and defend and incarcerate people for drug crimes, corporate entities looking to monopolize the legal market? It must be somebody whose foot is firmly on the brakes. In NJ I'll believe it when I see it.
There are issues with going too fast, too. Michigan is not able to keep up with demand despite the large number of dispensaries, and their prices are sky high because of it.

"Cannabis flower shortages have marked the early days of Michigan’s recreational market, keeping prices high.

The relative lack of flower for the adult-use market remains readily apparent when comparing product availability against the medical market, said Kevin Pybus, who owns producer Truu Cannabis

The supply shortage is also reflected in prices: The average retail price for an ounce of flower in the adult-use market was nearly $410 in May, according to the latest monthly report from Michigan’s Marijuana Regulatory Agency (MRA)."

Also are you sure it only passed 6 months ago? This article announcing recreational weed in Michigan is from December, 2019. It says it passed in 2018.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...eational-sales

I don't think they know the number of dispensaries we will have yet. 34 I believe is the number of grow licenses they are granting.

We do have a Democratic congressman advancing a bill for medical patients to grow their own. I have a history of migraines. I'll go online and get a card if that makes the difference, lol.

I really don't think the delays are due to anything more than Republican lawmakers and police unions putting up obstacles to it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-22-2021 at 07:12 PM..

Old 02-23-2021, 05:28 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Those Ontarians are slowly making you believe that Ontario is Canada

Before it was legal, the federal government permitted provinces and territories, to set some of their own rules.
Most thought that the legal drinking age would be the age set for legally being able to buy and grow cannabis.

Didn't work out that way. In Quebec, the drinking age is 18, but cannabis use is set at 21.

In Manitoba the drinking age is 18, but cannabis use is set at 19.

In Alberta the drinking age is 18 and cannabis use is also 18, the youngest age someone can legally buy cannabis in Canada.

BC is 19 and 19.
I was lied to!

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:34 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know, but in Colorado they use blood tests. Even those though are difficult to prove the person was actually driving high and often requires other factors:

"Unlike alcohol, there is no DUI “per se” of marijuana. DUI of drugs must be proved by objective evidence that you were unable to drive safely. However, it is a permissible inference that you drove under the influence of marijuana if your blood contained 5 nanograms or more of delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) per milliliter.1 THC is the active ingredient in most strains of marijuana.2

But even this amount of THC in the blood is not conclusive. The best Colorado DUI lawyers can challenge it in court. To prove you guilty of DUI of marijuana, the prosecutor will need to show that you were actually too stoned to drive safely. Such evidence might include:

You violated Colorado traffic laws,
You were weaving in and out of your lane,
You drove too fast or too slow,
You appeared stoned (bloodshot eyes, slurred speech),
The officer smelled marijuana in the car,
There was marijuana paraphernalia in the vehicle (e.g., rolling papers, a bong, a joint clip, etc.), or
Marijuana was found in your car."
Your passenger seat is loaded with a pizza and an Italian sub, a bag of Doritos, Snickers wrappers, a box of chocolate chip cookies, and a two-liter bottle of Pepsi.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:05 AM

20,187 posts, read 9,083,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
So where do they get it? I assume it's still illegal for anyone without a license to sell it or grow it.
Bingo! If it's legal, where do I buy it in NJ? That opens opportunities for a whole new set of obstacles. The time between making it legal and pot stores could take years. You can buy pot in Oregon for $60 an ounce in dispensaries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey