U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2021, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Boston
15,514 posts, read 4,676,676 times
Reputation: 11362

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Call me skeptical but I'll believe it when I can actually get it
Bingo. NJ is not even close to selling pot. Last time I was in a dispensary in Mass they would only sell you half an ounce. Most of the dispensaries are for medical marijuana anyway. Mass has been selling legalized pot since 2016.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2021, 07:24 AM
 
16,471 posts, read 19,920,266 times
Reputation: 21392
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Bingo! If it's legal, where do I buy it in NJ? That opens opportunities for a whole new set of obstacles. The time between making it legal and pot stores could take years.
"Could" and "will" are not the same.
From a Q&A on this topic, from NJ.com:

Q: So when can I buy legal weed? When will the dispensaries where they’ll be sold open?

A: It could take at least a year before legal sales begin. Some marijuana industry insiders say early 2022 is likely. Murphy estimated Monday it could take months — maybe about six — to set up the industry. The law doesn’t specify when the dispensaries will open.

New Jersey’s medical marijuana dispensaries can begin selling to the public once they certify they have enough marijuana for the state’s nearly 100,000 patients. Several of the current companies plan to open new dispensaries this spring or expand their growing capacity, which would help to ease burdens on the current 13 dispensaries.

A court ruling from last week could also speed the process up. An appeals court removed a year-long moratorium placed on the state Department of Health’s review of medical marijuana license applicants. The agency could issue up to 24 new licenses in coming months.

But until the medical marijuana program grows significantly, legal sales at those dispensaries are on hold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2021, 09:08 AM
 
Location: NJ
30,215 posts, read 34,408,015 times
Reputation: 22669
i went to dinner with 3 other couples last saturday night. you had two people bringing edibles and one person with their vape pen. so you just need to make an effort to find people to purchase from.

lets say i am smoking a vape pen in the presence of a cop, can he harass me or am i officially legal now?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Earth
7,272 posts, read 4,572,117 times
Reputation: 5377
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i went to dinner with 3 other couples last saturday night. you had two people bringing edibles and one person with their vape pen. so you just need to make an effort to find people to purchase from.

lets say i am smoking a vape pen in the presence of a cop, can he harass me or am i officially legal now?

You, specifically, will be harassed by the cops. you're probably on a troublemaker list in some database
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2021, 04:44 PM
 
33,453 posts, read 22,288,503 times
Reputation: 56145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
your passenger seat is loaded with a pizza and an italian sub, a bag of doritos, snickers wrappers, a box of chocolate chip cookies, and a two-liter bottle of pepsi.
lol!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2021, 04:49 PM
 
33,453 posts, read 22,288,503 times
Reputation: 56145
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Bingo! If it's legal, where do I buy it in NJ? That opens opportunities for a whole new set of obstacles. The time between making it legal and pot stores could take years. You can buy pot in Oregon for $60 an ounce in dispensaries...
They anticipate it taking 6 months to a year. There is a lot of pot grown in Oregon and plenty of space to do it. They don't have the shortages they have in Michigan or we have even now with medical pot. They're also more cohesive as a state I believe when it comes to pot, while here a lot of towns are not going to allow pot to be grown. They do need to increase the amount of grow licenses though, they are planning to issue 37 I believe but the ACLU is fighting to increase that so who knows.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2021, 04:54 PM
 
33,453 posts, read 22,288,503 times
Reputation: 56145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i went to dinner with 3 other couples last saturday night. you had two people bringing edibles and one person with their vape pen. so you just need to make an effort to find people to purchase from.

lets say i am smoking a vape pen in the presence of a cop, can he harass me or am i officially legal now?
I don't know, I didn't see anything about use in public, but as far as I know I think you're clear.

"As of Monday, law enforcement officers can no longer detain, arrest or "otherwise take people into custody" for the following offenses, Grewal said:

Simple possession of more than 6 ounces of marijuana, 2C:35-10(a)(3)(b)
Simple possession of more than 17 grams of hashish, 2C:35-10(a)(3)(b)
Distribution of 1 ounce or less of marijuana, 2C:35-5(b)(12)(b)
Distribution of 5 grams or less of hashish, 2C:35-5(b)(12)(b)"

This mentions "pedestrian" stops though: I'm not sure how to interpret it in terms of actually partaking in from of a cop.

"May an officer initiate or continue a pedestrian stop of an individual based on the officer detecting the odor of marijuana?

No, the new laws are clear that the odor of marijuana, either burned or raw, by itself does not establish reasonable suspicion to justify or continue a pedestrian stop. In addition, the odor of marijuana by itself does not establish probable cause to conduct a search in a marijuana possession case or even a low-level (fourth-degree) possession with intent to distribute marijuana case. The age of the person being stopped is irrelevant in these situations."

https://patch.com/new-jersey/oceanci...campaign=alert
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2021, 04:56 PM
 
33,453 posts, read 22,288,503 times
Reputation: 56145
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Bingo. NJ is not even close to selling pot. Last time I was in a dispensary in Mass they would only sell you half an ounce. Most of the dispensaries are for medical marijuana anyway. Mass has been selling legalized pot since 2016.
Our medical dispensaries will have recreational sales as well. Massachusetts has a Republican governor who inherited legal pot and never wanted it, much like us with Christie and medical use. So lots of restrictions were put in place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2021, 06:33 PM
 
Location: NJ
30,215 posts, read 34,408,015 times
Reputation: 22669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know, I didn't see anything about use in public, but as far as I know I think you're clear.

"As of Monday, law enforcement officers can no longer detain, arrest or "otherwise take people into custody" for the following offenses, Grewal said:

Simple possession of more than 6 ounces of marijuana, 2C:35-10(a)(3)(b)
Simple possession of more than 17 grams of hashish, 2C:35-10(a)(3)(b)
Distribution of 1 ounce or less of marijuana, 2C:35-5(b)(12)(b)
Distribution of 5 grams or less of hashish, 2C:35-5(b)(12)(b)"

This mentions "pedestrian" stops though: I'm not sure how to interpret it in terms of actually partaking in from of a cop.

"May an officer initiate or continue a pedestrian stop of an individual based on the officer detecting the odor of marijuana?

No, the new laws are clear that the odor of marijuana, either burned or raw, by itself does not establish reasonable suspicion to justify or continue a pedestrian stop. In addition, the odor of marijuana by itself does not establish probable cause to conduct a search in a marijuana possession case or even a low-level (fourth-degree) possession with intent to distribute marijuana case. The age of the person being stopped is irrelevant in these situations."

https://patch.com/new-jersey/oceanci...campaign=alert
thanks. i will need to figure this out for sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
 
16,471 posts, read 19,920,266 times
Reputation: 21392
Will legal weed be sold in your town? Not if you live in one of these municipalities, which have already banned the sale of legal weed w/in their boundaries:

Allendale, Bergen County
Barnegat Township, Ocean County
Berkeley Township, Ocean County
Brick Township, Ocean County
Bridgeton, Cumberland County
Bridgewater Township, Somerset County
Brigantine, Atlantic County
Carlstadt, Bergen County
Chatham Township, Morris County
Chester Township, Morris County
Clifton, Passaic County
Colts Neck, Monmouth County
East Rutherford, Bergen County
Elmwood Park, Bergen County
Emerson, Bergen County
Fair Haven, Monmouth County
Franklin Lakes, Bergen County
Freehold Borough, Monmouth County
Garfield, Bergen County
Harding Township, Morris County
Hasbrouck Heights, Bergen County
Hawthorne, Passaic County
Hazlet, Monmouth County
Highlands, Monmouth County
Ho-Ho-Kus, Bergen County
Jamesburg, Monmouth County
Lacey Township, Ocean County
Lavallette, Ocean County
Lodi, Bergen County
Lumberton, Burlington County
Mahwah, Bergen County
Mannington Township, Salem County
Manville, Somerset County
Middletown Township, Monmouth County
Midland Park, Bergen County
Montvale, Bergen County
New Milford, Bergen County
North Caldwell, Essex County
North Haledon, Passaic County
Oakland, Bergen County
Oceanport, Monmouth County
Old Bridge, Middlesex County
Old Tappan, Bergen County
Palisades Park, Bergen County
Parsippany-Troy Hills, Morris County
Pleasantville, Atlantic County
Point Pleasant Beach, Ocean County
Ramsey, Bergen County
Ridgewood, Bergen County
Rumson, Monmouth County
Saddle Brook, Bergen County
Saddle River, Bergen County
Sea Girt, Monmouth County
Seaside Heights, Ocean County
Shrewsbury, Monmouth County
Somers Point, Atlantic County
Spotswood, Middlesex County
Surf City, Ocean County
Union City, Hudson County
Upper Freehold, Monmouth County
Upper Pittsgrove Township, Salem County
Upper Saddle River, Bergen County
Waldwick, Bergen County
Wall Township, Monmouth County
Wayne, Passaic County
Weehawken, Hudson County
West Caldwell, Essex County
West Long Branch, Monmouth County
Westwood, Bergen County
Woodcliff Lake, Bergen County
Wyckoff, Bergen County

Of course, once they learn that they can collect a 2% sales tax on any legal weed sold in their town, some of these burgs might decide to amend their current statute, but--at this point--these towns are a no-go for legal weed sales.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top