Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 01:43 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It should have never been illegal in the first place
Totally agree. I thought weed was legal at one point so I looked it up. Not since 1906 apparently or thereabouts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lega..._United_States

Old 10-07-2018, 02:15 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
Who do you think kept the medical marijuana availability restricted in NJ? It was Christie and his buddies in the drug trades, legal and illegal. The only people who benefitted were street dealers and pharma companies. A couple of years after it was passed in 2010, only 1,600 people in a state of close to 19 million qualified, with just 3 dispensaries, and you had to register at a medical marijuana dispensary and wait several months while they grew your plant!

My homeowner taxes are $5300 per year but as a senior citizen my NJ state income tax is about 3/10 of 1% of my gross income so it's a wash. Instead of tax breaks for billionaires and my taxes supporting prisons and the military industrial complex, I'd like to see it give every illegal alien and every citizen a free college education. That could be done. Back when I got my degree in 1968 at a state university while living at home and driving to class it was nearly free. I could easily pay for all of it plus my car, my gasoline, and a social life, working part time during the school year and full time in the summer. It could easily be nearly free again. I'm not crazy about the Dems either, but will vote straight Democratic. The TV ads talking about Menendez are a joke. What he did compared to a trillion dollar war Bush gave us that accomplished zero is a drop in the bucket, from the perspective of the military industrial complex it's been a great succes. I'm happy to let the politicians steal as long as I get some of the crumbs off the big table. With Republicans, I am the table that they eat off of.

I've had bad pot in the past which I believe was cut with angel dust and it can be life threatening. With legalization you won't get that, and with home grown you will be even better off financially. Hopefully that will also happen in time. If you can make a barrel of home made wine or bottles of home brewed beer, you ought to be able to grow a few MJ plants at home. Right now owning one plant is a felony with a three year jail sentence. A nonsense law left over from the war on drugs. In 2000, while in the midst of a heroin epicemic that affected 10% of the population, Portugal decriminalized the use of all drugs. Instead of paying for the policing and incarceration of drug offenders, they diverted that money to education, treatment and social services. In the 17 years since, they have had decreased costs, HIV and AIDS cases, overdose and AIDS deaths, and less drug use! If Portugal can figure that out, why can't we?

I've driven while drunk and while stoned and never got a ticket or was in an accident while drunk or stoned. I did get tickets and was in accidents while cold sober. They will sue a marijuana dispensary for a car accident right after they sue Jack Daniels and Cutty Sark and Budweiser and all the cell phone carriers and all the parmaceutical companies that make tranquilizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Most people have to drive half an hour to get to a bakery!

Dems in total control , media is honeymooning with the ghost that is murphy, and no rec mj!

Cheez, Trump is under unprecedented withering fire from all sides and look what he accomplished. murphy and the dems are asleep at the switch dreaming of how they can divert gas tax increases, raise property tax and send more illegal aliens to college at the expense of taxpayers who can't afford to send their kids to college.

NJ's only hope is to legalize MJ to keep registered voters in a state of stupor, while playing soothing subliminal messages that 'we have to pass it to find out what is in it'.

Expensive pot will help to increase the street trade. Who knows what that pot is cut with.

Can't wait for the first law suit naming a legal pot distributor for a car crash. Herds of lawyers roam the state searching for work.

Which state has the most lawsuits filed?
2012 @ Court Statistics Project website.

'The data suggests the District of Columbia as having the most lawsuits per capita. If you are looking for an actual state then it would either be Idaho or New Jersey. The difference based on the structure of their legal systems make it not a one for one comparison'.

Of course menendez is supported by the trial lawyers assoc.

then again look to Colorado to see the behind the scenes of medical pot by the Denver Post

'A lawsuit that accused Colorado regulators of quietly and illegally concocting a policy to police doctors who recommend medical marijuana to patients was entirely hidden from public view during a nearly three-year court battle, secreted behind a judge’s order to keep it that way, The Denver Post has found'.

Sounds like something NJ democrats would do. who knows what else they have up their sleeve besides the comeback of red light cameras?

Last edited by bobspez; 10-07-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 06:25 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
The police and overall criminal justice industrial complex lobby heavily against legalization. Their livelihood depends on kidnapping innocent people, they dont want to lose a big chunk of that business

Old 10-08-2018, 03:28 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Bear in mind that, although "modern" marijuana is pretty pricey, it is also 57% to 67% more potent than the weed from the '70s era, so one or two tokes might be all that one needs in order to... feel good... and one joint might last for a week or so.
No, it's not. Or to put it another way, given the methods of testing done in the 70's where the whole plant was tested, is not comparable to the methods used today, where just the buds are tested. Our methods today are also much more accurate than in the 1970's.

You also have to consider that we're talking about a plant. Just as natural wine can't have any more than 14% alcohol, because fermentation stops at that point, so too with cannabis, you can only get the plant to produce what it can naturally produce. You can increase THC production by cross-breeding, but not to the extent you are talking about. Anything more than that would have to be added artificially or the genome would have to be manipulated. Since the genome is currently being mapped by big pharma, that hasn't happened yet.

In the 70's we had not only cannabis, but we also had hashish, which is the extracted resin of the cannabis plant, with the THC and other cannabinoids much more concentrated than in the buds of the plant.

The only people still pushing this idea that today's cannabis is not your grandfather's cannabis are prohibitionists and law enforcement. They are both wrong, even if it sounds plausible.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:31 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,352 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
and Americans think that they are free.
No, Americans are not free, but most of the time you can buy one for less than you think. Especially a NJ politician, they've made graft an art form.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:32 PM

So is it totally illegal? I was reading my police blotter email today () and some guy got arrested for having “less than 50 grams.” That doesn’t sound like a lot to me.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:36 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I read a recent article that said once it passes it could take a year for it to actually be sold recreationally in NJ.
I am not so much interested in sold recreationally as much as removing marijuana possession as a criminal offense.

Anyone know where I can read about the proposed law.. details..?

Old 10-08-2018, 06:39 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So is it totally illegal? I was reading my police blotter email today () and some guy got arrested for having “less than 50 grams.” That doesn’t sound like a lot to me.
Oh, yeah, it's illegal. Last week, my son told me that--sirens wailing--three police cars and an ambulance sped through his neighborhood and stopped on the next block. Something terrible must have happened! He found out the next day that a young guy, an 18 year old, was selling a small amount of weed to a seventeen year old. They'd been tipped off by a suspicious neighbor. More money for the township.

I thought that Gladys Kravitz had died.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, yeah, it's illegal. Last week, my son told me that--sirens wailing--three police cars and an ambulance sped through his neighborhood and stopped on the next block. Something terrible must have happened! He found out the next day that a young guy, an 18 year old, was selling a small amount of weed to a seventeen year old. They'd been tipped off by a suspicious neighbor. More money for the township.

Well that’s awful. Poor kids.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:48 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

Oh, no, she lives in my neighborhood, and that's what I call her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey