Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:34 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times

Advertisements

Here is my theory: In the NYC metro area people are such jerks because we're all in such a rush because time is money, and we all need lots of money to pay for our expensive houses with high taxes. I know I'm always in a rush and am generally just a terse guy and I definitely don't enjoy being that way.

Whenever I go just about anywhere, particular the south I am pretty much in shock with how NICE people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 01:06 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Here is my theory: In the NYC metro area people are such jerks because we're all in such a rush because time is money, and we all need lots of money to pay for our expensive houses with high taxes. I know I'm always in a rush and am generally just a terse guy and I definitely don't enjoy being that way.

Whenever I go just about anywhere, particular the south I am pretty much in shock with how NICE people are.
Agree...people are nicer in the south, but I have to say, the mid-west has the nicest people I have ever encountered.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 AM

544 posts, read 1,058,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Agree...people are nicer in the south, but I have to say, the mid-west has the nicest people I have ever encountered.
What part of the south have you been to lately? My neighbors here are a lot friendlier than my neighbors in Atlanta and the other day I went to Sams and was trying to balance as tub of laundry detergent on my knee while moving my eggs from the bottom of the cart (DUH) when a man just walked over and held it for me. And TWICE I was kind of lost and almost missed my turn. So I put on my blinker and people let me over. That is unheard of in the South. I'm telling everyone I meet that "northerners are rude" crap isn't true. Plus the pizza is great

Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
What part of the south have you been to lately? My neighbors here are a lot friendlier than my neighbors in Atlanta and the other day I went to Sams and was trying to balance as tub of laundry detergent on my knee while moving my eggs from the bottom of the cart (DUH) when a man just walked over and held it for me. And TWICE I was kind of lost and almost missed my turn. So I put on my blinker and people let me over. That is unheard of in the South. I'm telling everyone I meet that "northerners are rude" crap isn't true. Plus the pizza is great
I'm gonna have to agree with that entirely.

There are nice/rude people everywhere - but there's an influx of them in much of the south, especially where I live.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I'm gonna have to agree with that entirely.

There are nice/rude people everywhere - but there's an influx of them in much of the south, especially where I live.
Perhaps they are transplants from the Metropolitan area : ))))))

Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
See now, no one ever wants to shop with me. I have a habit of embarrassing my shopping partner. One time, an old room mate and I were in the pharmacy isle... her at one end, me at the other... the isle was jammin' - I yelled down the isle to her "Hey Sue, did you find the Tucks yet?". Her face turned beet red : ))) Another time, my neighbor and best pal, had to do the shopping - neither of us do the "push the cart" thing... that's the wife's job..lol : ) We spent the whole time pushing the cart to the other down each isle : ) Anyway - we got to the check out and the woman was like 100 yrs old. I put my groceries up first then the bar then he put his stuff up. I proceeded to pretend that he was my husband and started yelling at him for being so cheap and making me pay for the groceries every week! Then I started on him about his 17 year old mistress... lol - the poor old lady never picked her head up but I could hear her chuckling...
I have a shopping aisle experience that just happened on Sunday. At the Super Wal-Mart. I am ringing up a few items and my five year old son is with me. He is just learning how to read. Adjacent to my self-checkout register is a full serve express register. Anyway, as I am ringing up my items, I catch my son intently looking over at the cashier next to us. I am trying to stuff the cash into the bill acceptor, and my son says "Dad, I have to tell you something." And I tell him just a minute, and he insists, "Now, but I have to tell you in secret." I said, "Ben, just tell me" I am getting a little frustrated because one of my dollar bills is getting returned to me repeatedly. He then proceeds to point to the cashier "Dad, I think that's God's son!" right out loud in front of everyone. I am thinking "what's he talking about" then I look over at the kid ringing up the groceries and his Wal-Mart name tag says "Jesus". Instantly, I am thinking "Oh ****!" The woman behind me bursts out laughing. I finally get the last of the money into the dispenser, and am simultaneously retrieving my change plus receipt while pushing the cart out of the store as fast as I could. The poor kid at the register was so embarrassed. Of course, I had to give my son a phonics lesson en route to the car.

Last edited by mike0421; 04-08-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Perhaps they are transplants from the Metropolitan area : ))))))
Perhaps! But I find the people nicer there - save for a few places where they're mildly "rude" - but as another poster said, maybe it's the whole rushrushrush deal. While my city and some parts of my area do the rush deal - it's no where near like it is up there, and they're still generally more rude - and that's one of the things that baffles me

Old 04-08-2008, 10:25 AM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I have a shopping aisle experience that just happened on Sunday. At the Super Wal-Mart. I am ringing up a few items and my five year old sun is with me. He is just learning how to read. Adjacent to my self-checkout register is a full serve express register. Anyway, as I am ringing up my items, I catch my son intently looking over at the cashier next to us. I am trying to stuff the cash into the bill acceptor, and my son says "Dad, I have to tell you something." And I tell him just a minute, and he insists, "Now, but I have to tell you in secret." I said, "Ben, just tell me" I am getting a little frustrated because one of my dollar bills is getting returned to me repeatedly. He then proceeds to point to the cashier "Dad, I think that's God's son!" right out loud in front of everyone. I am thinking "what's he talking about" then I look over at the kid ringing up the groceries and his Wal-Mart name tag says "Jesus". Instantly, I am thinking "Oh ****!" The woman behind me bursts out laughing. I finally get the last of the money into the dispenser, and am simultaneously retrieving my change plus receipt while pushing the cart out of the store as fast as I could. The poor kid at the register was so embarrassed. Of course, I had to give my son a phonics lesson en route to the car.
LOL that's cute, and too funny

Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

i traveled this country for 4 years, and didn't find people any ruder here. in fact, the friendliest ppl i've found lately are in NYC and Boston. i found very standoffish people in SLC. otherwise, people are people. you have wonderful people and rude people everywhere.

my area has VERY friendly people, to the point where it creeps me out a bit, LOL. after 15 years, I'm still trying to get used to it.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:33 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Perhaps! But I find the people nicer there - save for a few places where they're mildly "rude" - but as another poster said, maybe it's the whole rushrushrush deal. While my city and some parts of my area do the rush deal - it's no where near like it is up there, and they're still generally more rude - and that's one of the things that baffles me
People by me are really friendly and polite but as soon as you get on that highway, your personality changes immediately! Your head spins around and you start spewing green stuff out of your mouth (exorcist)! Your middle finger now becomes a permanent fixture on the steering wheel! It's crazy! But as soon as you pull off of the highway, you return back into your normal, kind self.... stopping to let little old ladies cross the road... letting the other person pull out first...lol : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey