Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:11 PM

6 posts, read 4,805 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

first time home buyer. purchased a home in clifton for 450k and taxes are 5.3%. the current assessed value is 217k.

when we purchased the house we resanded the wood, painted and installed new tiles in the kitchen, House looks in great condition now. Will this impact our tax assessment. I checked comps in the area purchased a year or two ago and their taxes seem to have remained the same despite the ratio between sale price and tax assessment.

what should i expect the tax assessor to do? we did not do anything structurally to the house, but it looks great with the 20k worth of work we've done.

will this work impact our assessment? the house from the outside had damaged sidings that are in dire need of repair.

any tips or information i should be aware of? or should i just wait it out till the tax bill comes?
we pay that part of the mortgage now..taxes in this town are already very high!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 PM

378 posts, read 587,207 times
I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:49 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
For the most part taxes have very little to do with finishes, they're typically determined by room quantities and types. Add a bathroom and your taxes go up. Add a bedroom, your taxes go up.

Wallpaper the downstairs and put new tile in? You shouldn't see much of a change if anything. Otherwise you're rewarding bad interior styles when that has very little to do with the actual value of the home and property.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:15 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
A new kitchen will trigger a tax increase in my town but that flagged through permits filed.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:27 PM

482 posts, read 729,312 times
I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You’ll likely be less sensitive about it as time progresses. We bought in GR. Our assessment went up 75k just from the town looking at the MLS photos. We didn’t make improvements nor did they inspect. I threw a fit initially. But it was fair considering our market value. But over time, yes, Taxes are high. Are we going to move, no? Are you going to pay brokers commission to sell if your taxes go up 1 or 2k? Probably not. It’s just a something to come to terms with. Every 5 or so years they reassess and it will be taken into consideration eventually. You can’t hide improvements forever. You’re adding value to your home. Enjoy it.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:24 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,135 times
I doubt it. That's really the equivalent of painting

They are looking for unpermitted additions generally (basements, bathrooms, etc)

Old 10-26-2018, 06:12 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
They mostly look for updated rooms and additional rooms. Depending on the town and person doing the walk through, updates do matter but I can't say how much. It seems quite subjective in some ways.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
They're generally based on nearby market value of similar house configurations. They can't simply make you pay 20-30% more than similar homes nearby. People would usually hire lawyers to fight that if it happens.

I think property taxes generally are unfavorable towards newly built homes than older homes. I've seen some huge properties paying 50% less than comparable sized newly built homes in the same town. Because many older ones have not been reassessed.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think property taxes generally are unfavorable towards newly built homes than older homes. I've seen some huge properties paying 50% less than comparable sized newly built homes in the same town. Because many older ones have not been reassessed.
Newly built homes usually command a premium price so the assessors may just be following the market.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Newly built homes usually command a premium price so the assessors may just be following the market.
Newly built homes are assessed at the current market value, while the older homes are not. My home was new when I moved in, and my property taxes dropped considerably a couple of years later, when the town did their town wide reassessment.

8 years later, I am back up to my original property taxes that I paid the first couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey