Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:24 PM

175 posts, read 281,775 times

Advertisements

This town has always confused me. Most of NJ's low-income communities are almost exclusively made up of those who are African American or Hispanic/Latino, with almost no white people. Keansburg, despite being one of the state's poorest municipalities, is 84% white. Just curious as to why this is. Has their been a history of racism in the past that would discourage non-whites from moving there?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:53 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
Isn’t it a shore town where many of the residents have their official residences somewhere else? The people that stay there year round are the “poor” ones

Old 10-22-2018, 10:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Isn’t it a shore town where many of the residents have their official residences somewhere else? The people that stay there year round are the “poor” ones
i dont think it has vacationers. its not far from me but i have never heard anything positive about it.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:16 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,343 times
Quote:

UPS is over there, so is Fedex

Maybe the Marylanders or NYers on the forum can tell us.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:28 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
It may have been a vacation spot at one time, but it's not really considered a "shore" town, given that it's on the bay, not the ocean. The sand is kind of brown and not the finer texture you get in the ocean towns. There's a rinky-dink amusement park that is popular with some people with kids. I remember seeing the pics of the carousel horses floating down the street after Sandy.

Most people are year-round residents. I know someone who lives there, a single guy who has a middle-class job and a small but very nice little house. There are some areas that appear to be better than others. When I moved to Monmouth County, I considered a small house in Keansburg as an alternative to buying a condo, but when I checked the flood zone website, the entire town was "high risk", which became apparent was very accurate after October 29, 2012, and I didn't want the risk or the cost of the flood insurance.

I think the reason that it's mostly white is simply that it's one of the Monmouth County towns that working-class white families have lived in for many generations and has not been gentrified or a target of the masses who've moved to eastern Monmouth County from Brooklyn or Staten Island over the past 20 - 30 years. I have a friend whose family has long been in Hazlet, and she proudly refers to herself as coming from a "clamdigger" family. They are definitely not people with urban connections. This woman sounds almost southern when she speaks.

There's a contingent of such people throughout the area. A cop friend refers to them as the "crickers" because they talk of going to the crick to fish. I once went to a certain bar in Middletown because they had a pretty decent band playing with a deal on beer and food, and looking around, I thought I could easily have been in the bar where the original-family natives hang out in the Poconos where my sister lives. This is not a put-down of anyone. It's just a different lifestyle and vibe from the more newly-arrived city-centric contingent who now populate the eastern Monmouth suburbs. They've become outnumbered, but they still exist, especially in the bayshore area.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-22-2018 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM

607 posts, read 553,790 times
Who cares?

Old 10-22-2018, 12:37 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
This town has always confused me. Most of NJ's low-income communities are almost exclusively made up of those who are African American or Hispanic/Latino, with almost no white people. Keansburg, despite being one of the state's poorest municipalities, is 84% white. Just curious as to why this is. Has their been a history of racism in the past that would discourage non-whites from moving there?

Thanks.
Everything after Trenton and down is all white in NJ. Much of the minority population, poor or not are in scattered parts of North Jersey. The rest of the minorities just havent made it there yet. At least not in any of the towns that I went through.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:06 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Who cares?
Agree. Yet another unnecessary race baiting thread.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There's a contingent of such people throughout the area. A cop friend refers to them as the "crickers" because they talk of going to the crick to fish. I once went to a certain bar in Middletown because they had a pretty decent band playing with a deal on beer and food, and looking around, I thought I could easily have been in the bar where the original-family natives hang out in the Poconos where my sister lives. This is not a put-down of anyone. It's just a different lifestyle and vibe from the more newly-arrived city-centric contingent who now populate the eastern Monmouth suburbs. They've become outnumbered, but they still exist, especially in the bayshore area.
ive seen some people on facebook groups refer to them as "burgers" and it isnt meant in a good way. i think its hilarious because they are insulting people and they arent on an anonymous platform.

i think it was the monmouth county news page, i have since been banned from that page. my wife has forbidden me from commenting on the page for my town.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:42 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Everything after Trenton and down is all white in NJ. Much of the minority population, poor or not are in scattered parts of North Jersey. The rest of the minorities just havent made it there yet. At least not in any of the towns that I went through.
Have you ever heard of Camden? That is south of Trenton and is pretty much all minorities. The same is true for Atlantic City and large parts of Vineland and Millville just to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey