U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 12:03 PM

27 posts, read 29,303 times

Advertisements

Starting a new job in Midtown (W 40th and 6th Avenue, so close to Port Authority) and I've come up with the following commute routes. My girlfriend lives in Hackensack near the Anderson St train station 5 zones from NYC Penn Station, 10 min walk from her apartment). I live in North Haledon, near no train lines walking distance so Hawthorne is the closest station.

Train:
NJTransit Main Line Hawthorne to Secaucus to Penn Station
Problem with this one is there is minimal on-site parking, and a non resident permit is $700/year, or $58.33/month. Train pass would be $260/month or so.

NJTransit Anderson St Hackensack to NYC Penn.
I have a parking spot at my girlfriend's house so the 10 min walk is worth it on nice days. On bad days I could easily drive to the essex street lot and pay $3. Monthly pass is $210/month

Train seems more reliable from what I have read, but since my office is in close proximity to Port Authority (I'll be an on site client account engineer so I won't be specifically at the office daily)

Bus:
NJTransit Bus 162/163 from Prospect St Hackensack/Route 4 Arcola Avenue (10 min walk from the mall)

Park and Rides:
Vince Lombardi Park and Ride to NJTransit 321 to Port Authority
$9.75/day to park, includes round trip bus tickets daily. $195/month. It is a 10 minute ride from Hackensack, 20 minute ride from North Haledon.

North Bergen Park and Ride to NJTransit 320 to Port Authority
$9.75/day to park, includes round trip bus tickets daily. $195/month. It is a 15-20 minute ride from Hackensack, 25 minute ride from North Haledon.

I'm leaning towards buying the 5 zone train pass, but that tenders the park and Rides to be useless so I would have to reserve those for days I would need my car right after leaving NYC.

Which of these commutes has anyone used? Which is the best?worst?

Thanks!

Adam
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 02:15 PM

260 posts, read 507,591 times
What time do you have to be in the office by? I recommend the bus if you take it before 7am. From Paramus Road, the 163T usually takes about 35-40 minutes to Port Authority

Old 10-23-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
What time do you have to be in the office by? I recommend the bus if you take it before 7am. From Paramus Road, the 163T usually takes about 35-40 minutes to Port Authority
It will depend on my schedule. I should have the option of working 8-5 or 9-6. Hoping for the latter as the commute home will less intense. My clients will be in different areas of the city, so in terms of getting on subways to get around, I am thinking that Penn will be easier for subwaying around at the beginning of the day instead of having to walk the hallway from port to the subway stop

Old 10-25-2018, 07:50 AM

Anyone else?

Old 10-25-2018, 11:33 AM

516 posts, read 929,346 times
My husband takes the bus from Paramus. He leaves at 6am and says anything after 6:20am bus is likely to get stuck in the XLB and suck.

My neighbors drive to the PVL train line, any of the 3 stations along Kinderkamack Rd in River Edge, then transfer at Secaucus. That allows them to leave later in the morning, like even 7:30 or 8am.

So I would say, pick your route based on how late you would like to normally be in the office.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:40 PM

So, early days bus, late days train?

I'll probably just do the train and buy a bike to shorten the ride from my girlfriend's apartment to the Anderson Street station

Old 10-25-2018, 07:02 PM

516 posts, read 929,346 times
Yes, and if you leave the office later, also train. My husband gets to Port Authority between 4:30 and 4:45pm every day. He has tried staying past rush hour and taking a 6:30pm bus or even 7pm but the problem is that if there was earlier traffic on 495 or I95, it backs up all the later buses. It's incredibly stressful to commute this year because NJTransit is just FUBAR.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:27 PM

Good to know. Probably will train for the majority of my commutes

Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 AM

173 posts, read 183,678 times
Given that you can park for free at your girlfriend's house, not sure you need to explore more train options, but just wanted to mention that the Elmwood Park parking spot for the broadway station is way cheaper for nonresident parking than Hawthorne. It’s something like $160/year, and there seems to be lots of empty spots in the morning.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:51 AM

173 posts, read 183,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Yes, and if you leave the office later, also train. My husband gets to Port Authority between 4:30 and 4:45pm every day. He has tried staying past rush hour and taking a 6:30pm bus or even 7pm but the problem is that if there was earlier traffic on 495 or I95, it backs up all the later buses. It's incredibly stressful to commute this year because NJTransit is just FUBAR.
I did port authority bus commutes for 7 years — just stopped recently because of a new job. Morning commutes via bus in the 7-10 am range are ridiculously volatile. I always had to leave at least an hour of cushion if I had early meetings or calls because I would never be able to tell whether the bus ride was going to be 45-60 min (65% of the days) or 80-100+ (35% of the days). I tried to use car service coming back most days, but when I had to take a bus back there was always a pretty good chance that one or more earlier buses failed to show up, and there was a line more than one bus deep for the bus I wanted to catch by the time I got to port Authority. Sometimes I'd end up waiting 30+ min at port authority, and end up having to catch a local bus, stretching my door to door return trip over 2 hrs. Really cannot recommend the NJ transit bus service from port authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey