Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:14 AM

585 posts, read 492,504 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

Just had some work done in the yard and have a few very large patches of dirt. Is it too late in the season to plant grass since we have had our first frost? Should I just wait until spring? I live in northern New Jersey.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 11:34 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,627 times
better to wait for spring.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,118 times
The best time to lay down seed is just after Labor day.
Air and ground are warm not hot, weeds are spent and dying

One of the best times is mid winter, after ground freezes, right before snow covers the ground.

Seed will not germinate until ground is warm enough in Spring.
Snow covering will protect from birds
The ground freeze/thaw of winter will pull seed the right depth to germinate.
Grass will start as soon as ready, usually ahead of weeds. Ground is moist and wet enough to germinate from snow.

Yes, it is kind of weird spreading seed in Winter, but it is not a bad thing
But Spring is usually not a good time, the grass seed has to compete with weeds and usually lose

Old 10-24-2018, 01:06 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Hey folks,

Just had some work done in the yard and have a few very large patches of dirt. Is it too late in the season to plant grass since we have had our first frost? Should I just wait until spring? I live in northern New Jersey.

Thanks
Third. It's too late by more than a month.

Try the winter sowing that boater suggested. I've done it a couple of times and it worked quite well. You don't have to be too fussy about when you do it as long as it's still cold and will snow. The one year I didn't get around to it until the first week of march.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:38 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Nope, throw it down. Even if only half of it comes up you'll be further ahead. It'll hibernate through the winter.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:50 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times
Most seed won't germinate unless the soil temperature is around 60 degrees Farenheit. That means air temperatures need to be mid-60's to low 70's. Too late for this year.

I planted three weeks ago, and that wasn't the best timing, either. Only about half the seed came up, and that was with enriched soil, peat moss and lime worked in for good pH. You might get a little seed to grow now, but you'll probably still want to start from scratch next spring.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:33 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Most seed won't germinate unless the soil temperature is around 60 degrees Farenheit. That means air temperatures need to be mid-60's to low 70's. Too late for this year.

I planted three weeks ago, and that wasn't the best timing, either. Only about half the seed came up, and that was with enriched soil, peat moss and lime worked in for good pH. You might get a little seed to grow now, but you'll probably still want to start from scratch next spring.
Agree, I've been throwing down seed since mid August about every two weeks in various parts of my yard. The last go around to fill in leftover patches was two weekends ago hasn't shown any action yet. I think the air might be too dry as well, the dirt looks to be drying up faster than during the hotter days in Sept, even with daily watering. Oh well. There's always next fall.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:00 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,777 times
I am not sure when is the good time to plant grass then. Maybe very early spring, like April, before the crab grass wakes up. I tried a few times in May with very limited results. The seeds germinates but the grass grew extremely slowly and was completely taken over by crab grass & weed by August.

I put the crab grass preventer every year but it still grows by August in the bare spots. So I can't really plant after Labor day because then I would have to weed out crab grass and that is not fun.

Overall, I can't stand grass and all the chemicals that go into making it grows most of the time. I am slowly planting tress, shrubs and flowers on my front yard to eliminate as much grass as possible. The only problem is that I might be violating some retarded ordinance of my town...

Old 10-25-2018, 12:41 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Your timing is off if you have a lot of crab grass. It's happened to me. I spot spray creeping and persistent weeds. There's no need to treat the entire lawn. Fertilizer is fine if you apply it at the right time and don't use too much.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
okay, so thanks to putting in a pool and a bad tree job; i have some areas in desperate need of seed. it looks to me like its getting close to time to put it down. im thinking in about 2 weeks. what say you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: