Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:29 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised some of them were from Scotch Plains and Piscataway. Gangs don't come to mind when I think about these towns. I was also shocked about the 12 year old, but even more so about the 69 year old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:41 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Default And people wonder why I can't wait to leave Jersey...

Folks...all this "just lock em up, and that will show em!" stuff is a prime example of the idiotic, nearsighted, ignorant, pompous, simpleton guido-esque mentality that is the "Garden State".

Put them in jail, and they will eventually get out...out, that is, after being beaten, maybe raped, have been working out and bulking up and learning the tricks of the crime trade from the veterans they will meet in prison. Yes, gangs should be cracked down on, of course...BUT DO YOU PEOPLE ACTUALLY THINK THAT LOCKING PEOPLE UP AFTER THEY HAVE BECOME CRIMINALS IS THE BE-ALL, END ALL OF IT? This is just putting a bandaid on the problem.

What needs to happen which never will, because Jersyians are a rather mindless lot who follow blindly corrupt politicians, is for things to change on a fundamental level. Expand vocational schools, which give poor kids hope for a decent career, increase mentoring programs, so kids can be provented from joing gangs in the first place, and, most importantly, do what they did in Boston THAT WORKED, i.e., "pulling strings and levers", that is, using local people to identifiy and put pressure on the gang members who are not quite IN IT while arresting the hardcore cadre of truly violent ones. That way, the junior members will not step into the vacuum created by the leaders going away, but instead will give it a rest, once they have seen their PHOTO AND ALIAS on a poster posted all over town telling them that they are being watched and have the entire community shaking their heads at them and have just seen their "heroes" thrown behind bars.

Equally important is that Jersey needs to honor the second amendment. Law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves from violent thugs...it is a small wonder that Jersey has the strictest gun laws and the some of the most gun violence while Vermont has some of the most relaxed gun laws and the least gun violence. As Professor John Lott jr proves in his ground braking book "More Guns, Less Crime", when law-abiding citizens are allowed to defend themselves, the thugs can and do become quite subdued.

Anyhow, Jersey will no doubt continue to have violent crime and gun violence at dreadful proportions, as all the corrupt scoundrels in Trenton need to do is make a big show of arresting a handful of riffraff and all the guidos on their couches yell "HELL YA! ANGIE, LOOK A' THIS, THEY CRACKING DOWN ON DA GANGS! DATS WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!" while eating a big bowl of pasta and waiting for the Yankees game to come on.

This state is utterly worthless, which is why I can't wait to go somewhere with more civilized inhabitants who are more likely to embrace sound social policy.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
most unfortunate in all probability, that civil law will soon be used to defend the uncivil and they will be out on bail to do more harm very very soon. the risk that police officers took to put them behind bars will soon be undone. one day this will all come to an end as must all expensive disfunctional systems.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,287 times
Nice long prison sentence, hard labor.....none of this good behavior bull to get them off early....lets let our law enforcement feel like the job they do is worth it...they work to hard to let these animals out or get away with crime cause of a loophole or some other nonsense......we need change to secure a safe future for our children. Laws need to change for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
Well, it is true that gangs are strongest within the prison system. The prison system sustains them, builds bonds in a way the outside can not.

I'm not saying people who break the law shouldn't go to prison. But maybe they shouldn't all be locked up together. Split 'em up. Send some of our Clinton Posse boys out to a prison in LA, some to upstate NY and a few to Gitmo

Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Folks...all this "just lock em up, and that will show em!" stuff is a prime example of the idiotic, nearsighted, ignorant, pompous, simpleton guido-esque mentality that is the "Garden State".
You're silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Put them in jail, and they will eventually get out...out, that is, after being beaten, maybe raped, have been working out and bulking up and learning the tricks of the crime trade from the veterans they will meet in prison. Yes, gangs should be cracked down on, of course...BUT DO YOU PEOPLE ACTUALLY THINK THAT LOCKING PEOPLE UP AFTER THEY HAVE BECOME CRIMINALS IS THE BE-ALL, END ALL OF IT? This is just putting a bandaid on the problem.
What would you like us to do with them, invite them to a tea party?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:18 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
And what's with the racial segregation in prisons? We're afraid they'll kill each other? Why is that such a bad thing?

Mix the races up, prevent race-based gangs from forming in the first place. If some of them kill each other, so be it. Inshallah, as our enemies would say
I always felt the same way - yeah i know we have to think of the officare's safety but i could care less if a member of one gang kills another one.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:22 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
LMAO, the best quote of the day. But on a more serious note, I believe that people can change. These people can turn their lives around if they want to and if society gives them a chance. But like I said they have to want it.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 04-28-2008 at 12:06 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 PM

20,338 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
I just got a Direct Message stating that my last comment wasn't nice and a reference was made to this article:

A new report by the Justice Policy Institute confirms that anti-gang legislation that advocates locking up gang members, charging them with status crimes and charging more juveniles as adults doesn't work (broken link). In fact, it adds to the gang problem.
Mass arrests, stiff prison sentences often served with other gang members and other strategies that focus on law enforcement rather than intervention actually strengthen gang ties and further marginalize angry young men, according to the Justice Policy Institute, a Washington, D.C., think tank that advocates alternatives to incarceration.
"We're talking about 12-, 13-, 14-, 15-year-olds whose involvement in gangs is likely to be ephemeral unless they are pulled off the street and put in prison, where they will come out with much stronger gang allegiances," said Judith Greene, co-author of "Gang Wars: The Failure of Enforcement Tactics and the Need for Effective Public Safety Strategies."

So I apologize. Don't lock up the gang members. I was so wrong. They need help, encouragement and mentors.

I thought you made a good post. Don't worry, some people just don't have a clue. Just hope they don't vote.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
You're silly

As I said, yes, WE SHOULD LOCK UP THE GANGS MEMBERS, HOWEVER, measures should be taken to PROVENT kids from joing gangs in the first place...measures which, the guido-esque inhabitants of this worthless cesspool of a state never ask for...throw that in the same catagory as non-corrupt statesmen and women, clean air, open space, affordability etc as things that the populace of Jersey never ask for.

These ruffians are most likely lost forever. It is the next batch that I am worried about. Instead of just being happy that the criminals are being locked up, people should ask that steps be taken to provent to criminals from being created in the first place. As they say, "an ounce of provention is worth a pound of cure"

Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 PM

531 posts, read 2,150,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I'm surprised some of them were from Scotch Plains and Piscataway. Gangs don't come to mind when I think about these towns. I was also shocked about the 12 year old, but even more so about the 69 year old!
Speaking for Piscataway, the NJSP press release at that time had street addresses for most of the people they picked up. I mapped out the Piscataway addresses, they were all in the parts of Piscataway widely considered less desirable. Primarily in parts bordering Plainfield and Dunellen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey