Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Ok, that's a good enough excuse. In other news...

VictorianPunk himself?

Actually, I would be the fellow in the middle...only darker in skin tone, of course...

http://libsyn.com/images/coffeeandteashow/Steampunk.jpg (broken link)

And, going out for a night on the town...

Now...compare that to what 99.999% of New Jerseyians look like....http://www.gatorswearjeanshorts.net/TheGuido.jpg (broken link)

http://www.boingboing.net/200802081607.jpg (broken link)

The Defense Rest. Portland, Oregon, here I come!

Last edited by victorianpunk; 04-29-2008 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
To tie this in with another thread...that's what 99.99% of people from NORTH jersey look like.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
To tie this in with another thread...that's what 99.99% of people from NORTH jersey look like.

Correct! In Cape May, this artist sketch shows what the inhabitants of that region tend to look like...

http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/300W/fs7.deviantart.com/i/2005/172/5/3/__preppies____1993_01_08_by_longbowe.jpg (broken link)

"like, ohh my gawd! Like I summer at the Hamptons too!...ohh shut-up! I am sooo getting a Lexus for my eighteenth birthday party..."

Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I have lived ALL OVER Jersey...Hunterton county reminds me of that bad, "country ghetto" where meth is mass produced and guys with gunia-tees beat their wifes.
Realtors? Care to comment?

Quote:
Also, guido is not an Italian-only phenomenon, as much as it is a South-Euro influence thing. One can be a Guido without having a drop of Italian blood...and, at the same time, one can be Italian and not be a guido. Culture are bloodline are two different things. It is culture that I am talking about.
Okay Mr. Mengele... Seriously, what is your obsession with this Nazi-esque racial hygiene crap? What's next? Are you going to start telling us that you can tell the superiority or inferiority of a race of people by the shape of their heads?

Quote:
Also, IF YOU WOULD EVER STOP BEING A TYPICAL JERSYIAN AND READ SOMETHING, YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND THE USERNAME!
For a guy who claims to be so well read you can't spell, capitalize, or punctuate worth a damn.

Quote:
Ever hear of a fellow named William Gibson? Well, he wrote a book called "The Difference Engine" allong with Bruce Sterling that gave rise to the FANTASTIC sci-fi subgenre of "steampunk....
Yes, I'm familiar with the genre. My fiancee is a graduate student at Seton Hall studying Victorian Literature, as in the real thing (Dickens, Barrett Browning, Gaskell, the Brontes, etc...), not some garbage concocted by a clove smoking, frilly collar wearing, science fiction writer who hates the sun and got stuffed into one too many lockers when he was a kid.

Quote:
Alas, the average Jersyian has no use for history, and cannot read his/her way through a book of matches. Unless it's school season, and the college students need to buy required reading, I am the only one in Barnes and Nobles under age of fifty every time I go there.
Nothing like a wild and sweeping generalization to firmly establish yourself as "off the deep end." In case you haven't noticed our state is one of the original thirteen colonies, and our rich history stretches from the original Dutch settlements in Newark, to George Washington's Headquarters at Morristown, to the second oldest continuously operating Statehouse in the Country at Trenton, to the Native American communities established THOUSANDS of years ago on the Delaware Bay. I guess its just irony that you found yourself blabbering to a history major and enthusiast. I'm also going to begin working towards my Masters in Public Policy this fall at Rutgers along with scores of other folks like myself from, guess where? New Jersey!

Oh and one more thing since you talk about how the average New Jerseyan (Take a note-that's how its spelled) has no use for history. Historians have no use for alternate history. It's nothing but fictional speculative fantastical crap.

I refuse to believe that Diane Giam, NJGUIDO, and VictorianPunk are real people. It just can't be possible...

*NOTE*

Mods, I apologize for completely hijacking this thread, but I just couldn't stand for such baseless idiotic attacks on New Jersey and its people. If you want to lock it, delete it, etc...I certainly understand.

Last edited by Badfish740; 04-30-2008 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
I refuse to believe that Diane Giam, NJGUIDO, and VictorianPunk are real people. It just can't be possible...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 AM

531 posts, read 2,150,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Piscataway is a city IMO.
Define city, please.

I've thought about that myself. Piscataway doesn't feel like a city at all but the metrics (population density, for example) don't look very suburban anymore.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Realtors? Care to comment?

Okay Mr. Mengele... Seriously, what is your obsession with this Nazi-esque racial hygiene crap? What's next? Are you going to start telling us that you can tell the superiority or inferiority of a race of people by the shape of their heads?

For a guy who claims to be so well read you can't spell, capitalize, or punctuate worth a damn.

Yes, I'm familiar with the genre. My fiancee is a graduate student at Seton Hall studying Victorian Literature, as in the real thing (Dickens, Barrett Browning, Gaskell, the Brontes, etc...), not some garbage concocted by a clove smoking, frilly collar wearing, science fiction writer who hates the sun and got stuffed into one too many lockers when he was a kid.

Nothing like a wild and sweeping generalization to firmly establish yourself as "off the deep end." In case you haven't noticed our state is one of the original thirteen colonies, and our rich history stretches from the original Dutch settlements in Newark, to George Washington's Headquarters at Morristown, to the second oldest continuously operating Statehouse in the Country at Trenton, to the Native American communities established THOUSANDS of years ago on the Delaware Bay. I guess its just irony that you found yourself blabbering to a history major and enthusiast. I'm also going to begin working towards my Masters in Public Policy this fall at Rutgers along with scores of other folks like myself from, guess where? New Jersey!

Oh and one more thing since you talk about how the average New Jerseyan (Take a note-that's how its spelled) has no use for history. Historians have no use for alternate history. It's nothing but fictional speculative fantastical crap.

*NOTE*

Mods, I apologize for completely hijacking this thread, but I just couldn't stand for such baseless idiotic attacks on New Jersey and its people. If you want to lock it, delete it, etc...I certainly understand.

First of all, as I have said countless times, race and culture are two different things. Guido is a cultural phenomenon, not a racial or ethnic one. I have seen Asian Guidoes, Latino Guidoes, black Guidoes etc. I am "culturalists", not racist.

Second, as for the Steampunk Subgenre...wow, and you accuse ME of "sweeping generalizations"? Do you even know what William Gibson looks like?

Now, my vision might not be 20/20, but I don't think there is a "clove smoking, affraid of the sun, in a frilled poet shirt etc". Also, if you would have read the reviews of "The Difference Engine", you would have seen the praise that it recieved from the New York times, the Chicago Tribune, the San Fransisco Chronicle, the Seattle Times, the Boston Phoenix...not too bad for a "piece of trash"

Also, yes, steampunk/alternative history is not Victorian lit, as it was made in the last few decades and not the 19th century. Who cares? It's still loads of fun. As for your husband "majoring in Victorian Literature at Seton "only-a-Jersey-trust-fund-baby-could-afford-to-go-there" Hall....that statement conjured up this image in my head...

"ohhhh, maybe daddykins could buy me a new set of golf clubs for my good grades?"

There are three kinds of people in Jersey...preppies, idiot thugs, and Guidoes...the fourth kind, being the handful of people like me who can't wait to get the hell out of here. Ever been to Austin Texas? I have and, if it wasn't for the HORRABLE ETERNAL SUNLIGHT and ENDLESS HEAT AND HUMIDITY as well as an ecosystem that I'm not a fan of (hill country isn't for me...I prefer Broadleaf and mixed forest but will settle for confierous) I would live there in a second. Nice gun laws, cool neighborhood, and a great live music scene...I was at a bar downtown and the band was very good, and than a cute Mexican/American girl hit the stage and they went into a GREAT rendition of "JUKE JOINT JEZEBEL" by KMFDM... and I realized that I had to go back to Jersey the next day.

Anyhow, I will admit that yes, I do not like the sun and would like to wear what I want to wear and go and have the fun that I want to have, but the whole goth/industria/alternative scene in the New York/New Jersey area is dead. So, I just sit around and save my money to leave this hell-hole of state sooner than later. One more year (God willing) and it will be good buy "Jager Bombs" at Seaside and HELLLOOOO Sake at the Japanese garden, lattes at the cafe and beers at the DIY noize musik show.

*NOTE*

Mods, I apologize for completely hijacking this thread, but I just couldn't stand for such baseless idiotic defense of New Jersey and its so-called people, anymore than I could sit back and allow someone to defend NAMBLA or Al-Quaida. If you want to lock it, delete it, etc...I certainly understand.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Is everyone else as entertained as I am? Because I am very entertained One of my co-workers across the hall just read this little manifesto and just about soiled himself! By the way kid, a few corrections:

First of all it's my fiancee who attends Seton Hall, who happens to be a she. Also, no trust funds here-it's called hard work and scholarships. However, I deliberately chose Rutgers because the graduate credits are literally half the price. Next, you're a bit off the mark. I don't think I've ever worn a sweater vest, but I'm a terror at Flamingo Golf on Long Beach Island

That's me. Just another New Jerseyan who hates the outdoors...

Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
I just got a Direct Message stating that my last comment wasn't nice and a reference was made to this article:

A new report by the Justice Policy Institute confirms that anti-gang legislation that advocates locking up gang members, charging them with status crimes and charging more juveniles as adults doesn't work (broken link). In fact, it adds to the gang problem.
Mass arrests, stiff prison sentences often served with other gang members and other strategies that focus on law enforcement rather than intervention actually strengthen gang ties and further marginalize angry young men, according to the Justice Policy Institute, a Washington, D.C., think tank that advocates alternatives to incarceration.
"We're talking about 12-, 13-, 14-, 15-year-olds whose involvement in gangs is likely to be ephemeral unless they are pulled off the street and put in prison, where they will come out with much stronger gang allegiances," said Judith Greene, co-author of "Gang Wars: The Failure of Enforcement Tactics and the Need for Effective Public Safety Strategies."

So I apologize. Don't lock up the gang members. I was so wrong. They need help, encouragement and mentors.
You were right the first time........it's time in this country that we stopped treating the little slugs like babies......they wanna do the crime....they can do the time.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:22 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
You're silly

What would you like us to do with them, invite them to a tea party?
That was cute Joe.... Nice buck Badfish!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey