Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 02:04 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times

Advertisements

I still don't understand why we don't have term limits for congress! It is desperately needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 02:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I still don't understand why we don't have term limits for congress! It is desperately needed!
im sure it doesnt help that the people that are needed to make that change are the people that benefit from not making that change.

we really just needed to eliminate a lot of these positions. even if i do need a government, i dont really need a federal government. get rid of the federal government entirely.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:10 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
The senate is not going to change hands whether Menendez is elected or not. So it is not rational to vote for him to stop Trump. Only the house will become democratic, not the senate. The republicans may actually gain a few senate seats as it is.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:32 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:

Federalist Papers No. 53

"[A] few of the members of Congress will possess superior talents; will by frequent re-elections, become members of long standing; will be thoroughly masters of the public business, and perhaps not unwilling to avail themselves of those advantages. The greater the proportion of new members of Congress, and the less the information of the bulk of the members, the more apt they be to fall into the snares that may be laid before them,"

Old 10-30-2018, 04:09 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Congress was only threatened by FDR being POTUS forever that they sprung into action: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tw...s_Constitution

There have however been efforts in Congress by both states and that body itself to enact term limits for senate and House. Between SCOTUS rulings and other setbacks nothing has ever come of the movement. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_l...tates#Congress

We don't need term limits for senators or representatives; if people would simply get off their duffs and vote a large part of the "problem" would be solved. This and or revolting against the gerrymandering used by both parties to virtually create safe seats for life to House members.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
I'm voting for Muninn. Can't stand Menendez and Hugin is just the wrong crow for the job.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:25 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I for one vote democratic usually, enjoy living in Nj can afford it, and don’t whine. I do wish for better transportation options but blame our last governor for killing the latest plan. I’m pretty smart and think all of the elected officials who I can and do vote for are generally pretty smart and well educated. Some elected officials are more self serving but I think the job attracts that type of candidate.

I both actively worked and made large contributions to vote out my last federal representative who was not very smart or sympathetic to the issues of most Nj residents. I know this because I met with him on several occasions to express my concerns on his voting record. FYI, my taxes went down this year partly because of lowered county tax. Some towns are run better than others and some towns have more problems than others.

I am disgusted by the amount of corruption but I don’t believe either party owns this problem.
Why aren’t you discussing your smart ideas with your elected officials? And what are your brilliant plans that could make Nj better? It’s fairly easy to get an appointment or to go to a town hall, fund raiser or community event. Heck, if you layout a proposals here at CD, I would even champion them with my electeds and maybe some other readers could also. We could start a grassroots campaign. I hope your not one of these people who just like to whine.
When is the last time Trenton wasn't run by dems? No matter the party affiliation of the gov?

I don't have brilliant plans to make NJ better. Do you? Please share the details of if so...

However, if you haven't noticed? A democratically run NJ hasn't been working for decades. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that the dems have put us where we are.

But keep voting them in!

My elected town officials are 90% dems. The town has been in the hand of dems for a minimum of 60+ years & the corruption is pathetic. Apparently always has been.

My town (that I just moved out of, thankfully) has a recall against a council member.

When he doesn't get his way? He claims "racism".

Google "Rajiv Prasad".

You can't make his kind of stupid up - but his base (huge majority are of the same ethnic background) will keep voting for him b/c he's "like them". Nothing else goes in to that vote from those folks & that's why he thinks he can get his way about any opinion/pet project, etc. of his . When there is push back from the township/community at large? He claims "racism" & his "base" show up to defend the indefensible. And end up looking just as dumb as Prasad does.
/eyeroll.

Last edited by Informed Info; 10-31-2018 at 12:40 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 08:37 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Menendez should have lost the primary, but the Dems are corrupt and love themselves a corrupt senator too. They know that his corruption indictment and all the evidence surrounding it is irrelevant because NJ voters would elect a dead sunk if it was in the "D" column. I don't expect anything different in this election.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:36 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Menendez will take it. We just can't help ourselves.
Agree!! The only way to get bums like this out of office is term limits.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:38 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
It sure is!! The only way to get bums, dead wood, etc out of office and get some new blood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey