Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 07:33 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
That’s just the msrp for the very most basic modell + taxes + fee. It end up being around $40K.
It’s not luxury but still fancy and it’s a Benz.

The analysts at Kelley Blue Book reported the estimated average transaction price (ATP) for light vehicles in the United States was $36,113 in December 2017.

Standard model of CLA 250 Benz cost less than average price paid for light vehicles. There are fees and taxes due on any vehicle purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 07:41 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
The analysts at Kelley Blue Book reported the estimated average transaction price (ATP) for light vehicles in the United States was $36,113 in December 2017.

Standard model of CLA 250 Benz cost less than average price paid for light vehicles. There are fees and taxes due on any vehicle purchase.

Key word: Average.

And on private sales, there is only the tax on the represented sale price, though you have to get the plates and registration which costs like $80-$120 now (at least here in NJ it does..) But then you'd be home free.. on a private sale...

Title signed, tax paid on "Sale Price" which is whatever is written in, fill out form, get new registration (plates come with it at that time) Pay the fee for that in check or credit card (maybe even cash) and *bam* Your car. No dealer fees or paperwork fees etc....

Old 11-25-2018, 07:48 AM

173 posts, read 216,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Key word: Average.

And on private sales, there is only the tax on the represented sale price, though you have to get the plates and registration which costs like $80-$120 now (at least here in NJ it does..) But then you'd be home free.. on a private sale...

Title signed, tax paid on "Sale Price" which is whatever is written in, fill out form, get new registration (plates come with it at that time) Pay the fee for that in check or credit card (maybe even cash) and *bam* Your car. No dealer fees or paperwork fees etc....
If you are grossly misstating the sale price to the point that you are saving > 1k in taxes, you are asking for trouble.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:28 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
If you are grossly misstating the sale price to the point that you are saving > 1k in taxes, you are asking for trouble.
Many years ago, I bought a car from my father for $1.00, which was probably a couple of thousand dollars less than the retail value of the car. A few months later, I received a letter in the mail from the State Treasury Department, questioning the sale price, and the envelope also contained an affidavit on which I could provide details of the transaction, and also swear that I had accurately reported the sale price.

After signing the affidavit in the presence of a Notary Public, I submitted that document to the appropriate office in Trenton, and I never heard another word about that transaction. I suspect that, because the transaction took place within a family, there was less suspicion than there would be if un-related people had engaged in this type of transaction.

However, what I experienced took place many years ago, and I can't say for sure if that is the procedure that is still followed.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:10 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
Interesting response. Just to connect the dots, you regard yourself as less friendly and more inclined to show off?

I never thought of Aston martins as showy cars. They are beautiful and sound amazing, but aren’t particularly over the top and bear a very strong resemblance to a Ford Fusion.
LOL, not sure many people mistake the two .

Old 11-26-2018, 03:12 AM

482 posts, read 729,002 times
I think the answer is simple....leases

We are a dense suburban area outside of a major city (with a public infrastructure). People generally don’t put on as many miles, and therefore leases are more common. You could afford a nicer car on a lease if you’re only driving say 7500-12000 miles a year. And that’s what people do....then layer in the obvious that the demographics are higher around big cities.

When you are in more spread out places over the country, far more cars are purchased, since 10k or 12k miles a year don’t come close to cutting it. You see more cars that are older or not as nice since the monthly payment is higher (lesser purchasing power), or are paid off (older car)

If you look at car ads in the Sunday NY times, 90% of car specials are leases. Go to the south, Midwest, middle America to rural areas - very few people are even talking about leases. Go to a dealer in a rural area and ask about a lease - the salesman needs to grab his manager just to figure out how to structure a lease payment.

Disproving the demographics to more of a locational claim - compare a nice wealthy area in Texas to a wealthy area in North Jersey. Two guys both make the same. Who is more inclined to have a new 80k Mercedes? The Texan who buys it new, with 1500+/mo payments, and racks on 15k-20k miles a year and watch it depreciate like crazy....or the New Jersian that leases for 800/mo to drive to his park and ride bus station?...then layer in the fact that a buyer has their car on average 5 years, and the lessee has is for half that....and the probability of seeing that new Mercedes on the road is now even double in favor of the New Jersian.

Last edited by JaRuss01; 11-26-2018 at 03:40 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 09:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
i remember when i went to school up in albany, the cars up there were much lower end than where i was coming from. the most popular car among my felling grad students were kia rios. at the time, i had a nissan maxima. funny, that is still the most expensive car i have personally used as my daily car and i was a student with my parents paying for it.

anyway, if i look at the average household income of albany, its around 65k. if i look at the average household income of a monmouth county nj resident, its around 112k. as your income grows, the cost to you of certain assets is less substantial. a car costs around the same in monmouth county as it does in albany but the residents have about 72% more income to play with. so basically they can buy a more expensive car while costing them the same % of their income (or the same priced car and it would cost a substantially lower % of their income).

Old 11-26-2018, 01:07 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
This is so true I was just in Portugal this September.

I live in a low income city in nj and I noticed people have BMWs. Whereas people in Portugal live much more simpler. It’s such a waste.

People here drive cars to impress people that wouldn’t care if they drive a Benz or a Kia.

And these are the same people that complain why aren’t others helping out the poor when clearly they could help as well.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:23 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,749 times
Nowadays, it doesn't take much to get a luxury car. You can easily give a couple grand down, sign the dotted line and drive off in a new leased car. Everyone is entitled to do with their money as they wish.

As for me, student loans have taught me to despise debt and value financial independence. I refuse to ever lease or finance a car. Cash only! Nothing European either that will require tons of money to maintain.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:27 PM

356 posts, read 284,750 times
well, i drive a lexus. been driving her since 2005. expensive? depends.
great vehicle, dependable and well worth the money. my son was in diapers when we bought the car; we strapped in his car seat and drove home.
i'm due for new wheels, but what to do with that lexus? she's being gifted to the baby previously in diapers as his first car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey