Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,109 times

Advertisements

Anyone else upset about the assessments for Monmouth County? Willing to bet when the rate is released next year it will go up too! Big hit this year. What is going on? We just had a private company assess every home to find improvements people have done without permits. That was not enough income for the county? Really bad this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 04:07 AM

127 posts, read 160,629 times
Yes, my 2019 land and house assessment increased 5.4% and 4.9% from 2018, respectively. This has been the situation for the last 3 years under the new system for Middletown basing it on comparable sales in the area.

Due to lower interest rates earlier in 2017-2018 people were overpaying for their houses or doing home improvement; thus the comps had increase the value, even though I did not do any improvements.

The 2% cap law is joke because it only applies to the rate and not your overall taxes so they increase it by changing your assessment.

From 2016 to 2017, my land and property assessment increase 25.5 and 2.5%, respectively. I appealed and lost even losing monies because of attorney fees.

My countdown clock to exiting NJ is fast approaching especially with the SALT removal from the tax code - bend over we are getting screwed again.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:23 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo1002 View Post
Anyone else upset about the assessments for Monmouth County? Willing to bet when the rate is released next year it will go up too! Big hit this year. What is going on? We just had a private company assess every home to find improvements people have done without permits. That was not enough income for the county? Really bad this year.
It has nothing to do with assessment calculations. It has to do with the income of the population. Look at Alpine, the tax rate there is the lowest.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
looks like they just hit me with a 3% increase on my total assessment.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:17 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
This is a county-wide tax? I am not sure what you are talking about re "postcards". I haven't been home, so I don't know what came in the mail.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is a county-wide tax? I am not sure what you are talking about re "postcards". I haven't been home, so I don't know what came in the mail.
i got a post card from my town's assessor office that showed my assessed value of my property for 2018 and 2019. it says my 2018 tax but not my 2019 tax.

i had already gotten something for my 2019 tax i believe, the billing stuff for me to set my payments.

my house is more valuable than the assessment so nothing i can do.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,109 times
CaptainNJ, I have noticed towns keep the rate very high, some double what others are and then only assess the homes half of what they are worth. Does not make any sense to me? You can never complain about the assessment because it is way below market value.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:22 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i got a post card from my town's assessor office that showed my assessed value of my property for 2018 and 2019. it says my 2018 tax but not my 2019 tax.

i had already gotten something for my 2019 tax i believe, the billing stuff for me to set my payments.

my house is more valuable than the assessment so nothing i can do.
Yes, I get that, too, from my municipality. The OP and thread title seem to be about Monmouth County. Not sure what he's talking about.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:38 AM

127 posts, read 160,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In Middletown Township (Monmouth County), we get a postcard every year with coming year (2019) Assessment with Land and Building Assessment segmented out and your prior year (2018) Taxes and Assessment.

If you disagree with the assessment, you have 45 days from the mailing of the postcard or Jan 15, 2019 to file an appeal. It is all part of the process.

It is tough to win but doable - you can get some relief but you must balance it with attorney fees if you do not do it yourself.

The county uses data from the Open Public Record System (https://oprs.co.monmouth.nj.us/oprs/...al.aspx?iId=13) plus some comparable sales data from MLS.

I lost last year because they said my entire area (~80 homes that were build in the late 1950s) that the land values were under assessed - values increased due to new building (Avaya and Bamn Hallow sites). Thus we got hit with a 25% increase in land value assessment.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo1002 View Post
CaptainNJ, I have noticed towns keep the rate very high, some double what others are and then only assess the homes half of what they are worth. Does not make any sense to me? You can never complain about the assessment because it is way below market value.
i am aware of that technique but i dont believe that is how it works here. in my last house, i called an attorney about appealing the assessment and was told that you have to believe that your homes's value is a certain % below the assessment or they will do nothing. so what do you think your home is worth compared to what they are saying is the assessed value?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: