Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,014 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old working professional looking for a nice studio for myself and my large dog. I have a vehicle and am looking for a safe place! I see some postings about Jersey City and Ironbound but I would like to know where would be safest and for any tips I ought to know prior to moving? I want to be fairly close to New York since I have possible job opening soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 07:21 AM

280 posts, read 339,268 times
I wouldn't recommend moving until you have a job offer. NYC is a big place. NJ has lots of jobs too so maybe you'll find something here. You don't have the 2 most important pieces of information yet which are location and budget.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:44 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
Most landlords do not rent to people with large dogs, not impossible to find a place but it will it will seriously limit potential places to live.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM

856 posts, read 704,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritagonz93 View Post
I am a 25 year old working professional looking for a nice studio for myself and my large dog. I have a vehicle and am looking for a safe place! I see some postings about Jersey City and Ironbound but I would like to know where would be safest and for any tips I ought to know prior to moving? I want to be fairly close to New York since I have possible job opening soon.
Try Hasbrouck Heights, Rutherford, or Clifton.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Jersey City is much safer than the Ironbound. The Ironbound is a neighborhood of Newark. While it's a good part of Newark, it's still in Newark.

But like everyone else said, don't move here till you have a budget and job lined up.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:56 PM

625 posts, read 797,339 times
Saying all of Jersey City is safer than the Ironbound is just factually inaccurate. The Ironbound is drastically improving and crime has been pretty quiet this year for a density populated community of 55,000 residents. Remember the Ironbound is really sectioned off from the rest of Newark. You have penn station, route 21 and downtown Newark that acts as a buffer from the rough parts of Newark.

Do people that make these comments even visit the Ironbound? I’ve lived there my whole life.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:01 PM

There are many new 1 bedrooms coming to market very soon.

1) Monroe and Lafayette has about 60 apartments 1-2 bedrooms
2) McWhorter Street and Chestnut has a historic building that was just renovated. Drive by it’s gorgeous.
3) Adams Street between Lafayette and Ferry
4) about 80 units on NJ Railroad and Bruen St between Lafayette and Green Streets
5) elm St right before NJ RR Avenue - about 4-5 months from being rented
6) Magazine Street off Ferry about 80-90 units

A lot of supply will be hitting the market very soon. Fee free to PM with any questions about the area.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
Saying all of Jersey City is safer than the Ironbound is just factually inaccurate. The Ironbound is drastically improving and crime has been pretty quiet this year for a density populated community of 55,000 residents. Remember the Ironbound is really sectioned off from the rest of Newark. You have penn station, route 21 and downtown Newark that acts as a buffer from the rough parts of Newark.

Do people that make these comments even visit the Ironbound? I’ve lived there my whole life.
I never said all of JC is safer than the Ironbound. I go to the Ironbound. I at least drive through it pretty often. I work in downtown Newark. I live in JC. Downtown JC, probably JSQ, and probably the Heights are safer. The Ironbound is NOT dangerous the way people think all of Newark is. I know that personally. I have no issues hanging out there at any time of day or night. It's a place I'd consider living. But it's definitely not like the area around Grove St PATH.

The reason I said JC is safer than the Ironbound is because a 25 year old looking for a studio with proximity to NYC would be looking in, most likely, the neighborhoods around Exchange, Newport, Grove, and JSQ. All those areas are very safe, with JSQ being the most dangerous. I live here, though, and it's far from "dangerous," just not as nice as anything downtown.

My only issue with the Ironbound is it's possible to be pretty far from Newark Penn, so your public transit options are just buses that far out. The neighborhood can get very gridlocked sometimes. If the Newark Light Rail could be extended underneath Ferry it would be a game changer. It's really the same reason the Heights is difficult for me also. I like being close to the JSQ PATH.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:12 PM

JC is also 3x more expensive for the same unit The OP never said his budget. But I’d take the Ironbound under $1500 over a $3000 JC apt.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
JC is also 3x more expensive for the same unit The OP never said his budget. But I’d take the Ironbound under $1500 over a $3000 JC apt.
True. Without budget it's hard to compare. You get WAY more for your money in a very similar neighborhood if you choose the Ironbound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey