Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,392 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

There's a strong possibility that my significant other and I move to an area around Jersey City for his new job. We currently live in South Jersey, 20 minutes out of Philadelphia and 15 minutes from Cherry Hill. Neither of us loves city life and have no desire to live that lifestyle. From what I have seen on sites like Zillow, etc., the houses in and around Jersey City look decent inside but a street view reveals a **** hole. I am seeing lots of row homes and not so safe complexes. Is finding a small town or suburb out of the question in the area? I know nothing about real estate and very little about the area, please help? Where should I be looking to find homes that aren't attached to each other with a small backyard (we own a small dog) and at least 1.5 baths?! We are looking to rent (preferably a house but will consider apartments) for now since this move may be happening sooner rather than later. Our budget is $3000 per month tops.

signed,
a desperate millennial

*edit*

Where are you coming from? South Jersey, Deptford area (15 min from Cherry Hill)
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working ? A company located in Jersey City

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? $3000 tops
What kind of place are you looking for ? single family home

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? significant other and small dog
Do you need/want good public schools? N/A

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
safe, non city feeling?

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. charming, quiet, easy-commute

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2020 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: adding information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 07:33 AM

88,520 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samithurston View Post
Hello All!

There's a strong possibility that my significant other and I move to an area around Jersey City for his new job. We currently live in South Jersey, 20 minutes out of Philadelphia and 15 minutes from Cherry Hill. Neither of us loves city life and have no desire to live that lifestyle. From what I have seen on sites like Zillow, etc., the houses in and around Jersey City look decent inside but a street view reveals a **** hole. I am seeing lots of row homes and not so safe complexes. Is finding a small town or suburb out of the question in the area? I know nothing about real estate and very little about the area, please help? Where should I be looking to find homes that aren't attached to each other with a small backyard (we own a small dog) and at least 1.5 baths?! We are looking to rent (preferably a house but will consider apartments) for now since this move may be happening sooner rather than later. Our budget is $3000 per month tops.

signed,
a desperate millennial
Jersey City is itself a CITY. It's an urban area, very congested. It is right on the Hudson and sometimes laughingly referred to as the "sixth borough" of NYC. It's closer to Manhattan than a lot of other parts of New York City, and so naturally it's going to be a desirable location--and very congested.

The question you need to answer in order to get better information is "what is your tolerance for commuting?"

Even better, take the time to answer the questions in the sticky at the top of the page. That will enable people to guide you toward finding a place that's the best fit. You have a good budget to work with and should be able to find something, but you must take into consideration the fact that a few hundred thousand people in northern NJ are aimed toward the city every day at rush hour. The benefit for you is that you don't have to try to cross that wide river.

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2020 at 02:35 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 07:36 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
You could get a house with a backyard in Secaucus and it should be within the budget.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,392 times
Zillow don't show many options in that area. Suggestions?

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2020 at 02:36 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 07:53 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,990 times
You need to look on the GSMLS for rentals
Not Zillow
Once you find one you are interested in, call immediately
House rentals in nice towns go FAST

You may have to commute a bit to get a single family house rental but you should be able to find something with your budget

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2020 at 02:36 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 08:03 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Jersey City is itself a CITY. It's an urban area, very congested. It is right on the Hudson and sometimes laughingly referred to as the "sixth borough" of NYC. It's closer to Manhattan than a lot of other parts of New York City, and so naturally it's going to be a desirable location--and very congested.

The question you need to answer in order to get better information is "what is your tolerance for commuting?"
+1
Moreover, it is important to let the OP know that the entire county (Hudson) in which Jersey City is located, is urban. In fact, the most densely-populated part of the entire US is in the northern part of that small county.

To put Mighty Queen's questions into slightly different words, I think that the OP needs to define both "near" and "easy commute" for us. How many miles--and because of NJ traffic conditions--how many minutes/hours of commuting time would she consider to be "near" to Jersey City?

Old 12-02-2018, 09:46 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
What makes Jersey City difficult for commuting is that it is entirely surrounded by urban areas in all directions. It's not like you can live in the next town and be in the suburbs. As someone mentioned, the closest thing you will get to this is Secaucus, but Secaucus isn't really the nicest of towns (lots of commercial and industrial areas). Since you're only going to be renting then this may not matter to you. If you want to consider more traditional suburbs with larger lots, you can look at towns like West Orange or Livingston. Both of these towns are right along the I-280 corridor that will take you right into Jersey City. My neighbor commutes from here to Jersey City and it takes him about 45-60 minutes with typical rush hour traffic. Jersey City is huge, so depending on where in the city you need to go for work will add to or reduce your commute time.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:03 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
As someone mentioned, the closest thing you will get to this is Secaucus, but Secaucus isn't really the nicest of towns (lots of commercial and industrial areas). Since you're only going to be renting then this may not matter to you. If you want to consider more traditional suburbs with larger lots, you can look at towns like West Orange or Livingston. Both of these towns are right along the I-280 corridor that will take you right into Jersey City. My neighbor commutes from here to Jersey City and it takes him about 45-60 minutes with typical rush hour traffic. Jersey City is huge, so depending on where in the city you need to go for work will add to or reduce your commute time.
+1
Additionally, the OP stated that she is seeking a town that is "quiet and charming". "Charming" is not a term that most people would use to describe Secaucus, and I'm not too sure that it is quiet, either.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM

115 posts, read 146,167 times
I would look at Kearny. It borders Harrison (which is right outside of Jersey City). Here is an article that the NYTimes did on Kearny a year ago:https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/r...kearny-nj.html

Kearny is small, quaint, and there are areas that have an incredibly suburban feel (especially around the Manor section). There are also Manhattan views, great parks, and a number of mom and pop shops (particularly in downtown Kearny).

Old 12-02-2018, 10:30 AM

63 posts, read 115,940 times
Maplewood is a cute town. Train ride to Hoboken then take path train in to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey