U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 AM
 
8,256 posts, read 14,984,488 times
Reputation: 5951

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
N.J. as with other Democratic controlled States, tends to squander money to democratic machines
and groups. If N.J. people voted in the Republican slate, things would change for the better...................
Lmao yeah because Chris Christie and Christie Whitman did so much good for the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2019, 09:00 AM
 
75 posts, read 26,382 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Lmao yeah because Chris Christie and Christie Whitman did so much good for the state


Christie at least tried to audit the Port Authority. He at least recognized the messed up budget and tried to be thrifty. Murphy is just spending away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Status: "Daring to hope" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
63,039 posts, read 59,824,086 times
Reputation: 75974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
Christie at least tried to audit the Port Authority. He at least recognized the messed up budget and tried to be thrifty. Murphy is just spending away.
Christie took three billion dollars of the Port Authority's money that was for the ARC project and used it for the Pulaski skyway, which is NOT a PA facility, by claiming it was an access road to the Lincoln Tunnel. Then a bunch of lawyers made a bunch of money investigating the illegality of that and trying to find someone to pin it on, which came down to "well the governor told us to find a way to do it" and then the whole investigation just kind of mysteriously faded away.

Audited the Port Authority my ass. He stuck his hands in and grabbed a bunch of money and took off with it. He and the NY Governor WERE the Port Authority. Decisions are made by the Board that THEY appoint.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 01:49 PM
 
2,374 posts, read 1,429,465 times
Reputation: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
Christie at least tried to audit the Port Authority. He at least recognized the messed up budget and tried to be thrifty. Murphy is just spending away.
Christie also canceled an urgently needed cross Hudson tunnel that would've been ready by 2018 and used the NJ portion of the money for road projects. I am afraid NJ will be paying for that stupid mistake for years. Oh and his administration went to court against federal government.

Also, if he was such a great Governor, why didn't he try to reform the Abbott school districts, made them more efficient and less costly. He also raised NJ transit fares about 35% and completely devastated this agency.

I did not live in NJ when Christie was Governor. But I understand that she lowered state taxes to give a kick back to her friends and supporters and lowered state contributions to municipalities. That resulted in huge increases in property taxes that we are still enjoying today. She also started skipping payments to the NJ pension system thereby threatening the financial stability of the pension system and ultimately the state.

Given these last two wildly "successful" Republican Governors I would vote for Democrats for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 02:12 PM
 
75 posts, read 26,382 times
Reputation: 85
There was no money for the arc project? I'm not the expert and please correct me if I'm wrong but this article seems to give a good summary.

The port authority makes money hand over fist with its ridiculous tolls and essentially Christie took money from them to pay for repairs on NJ's crappy roads.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/how-chris...al-piggy-bank/

Why was there no money? NJ corruption and high wages and crazy pension system have got to be part od the reason.

Also I met a man who did mechanic work for state related projects. He claimed every little job required the ok of 4 different bosses and with way too many little inefficiencies built in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 03:03 PM
 
15,612 posts, read 18,828,992 times
Reputation: 20423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Christie took three billion dollars of the Port Authority's money that was for the ARC project and used it for the Pulaski skyway, which is NOT a PA facility, by claiming it was an access road to the Lincoln Tunnel. Then a bunch of lawyers made a bunch of money investigating the illegality of that and trying to find someone to pin it on, which came down to "well the governor told us to find a way to do it" and then the whole investigation just kind of mysteriously faded away.

Audited the Port Authority my ass. He stuck his hands in and grabbed a bunch of money and took off with it. He and the NY Governor WERE the Port Authority. Decisions are made by the Board that THEY appoint.
Yes, but you didn't include our esteemed ex-Governor's appointment of some of the worst, totally unqualified people to the PA.
In addition to a host of other incompetents, just before he left office, Governor Avoirdupois appointed Kevin "The Tool" O'Toole as PA Chairman. Case closed...

Last edited by Retriever; 08-27-2019 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2019, 08:10 AM
Status: "Daring to hope" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
63,039 posts, read 59,824,086 times
Reputation: 75974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, but you didn't include our esteemed ex-Governor's appointment of some of the worst, totally unqualified people to the PA.
In addition to a host of other incompetents, just before he left office, Governor Avoirdupois appointed Kevin "The Tool" O'Toole as PA Chairman. Case closed...
Both govs appoint losers. One of Cuomo's boys used to sit with his head down reading/texting/whatever on his phone for the entire Board meeting. The PA Board meets once a month for a couple of hours. You'd think he could at least pretend to pay attention.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2019, 08:11 AM
Status: "Daring to hope" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
63,039 posts, read 59,824,086 times
Reputation: 75974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
There was no money for the arc project? I'm not the expert and please correct me if I'm wrong but this article seems to give a good summary.

The port authority makes money hand over fist with its ridiculous tolls and essentially Christie took money from them to pay for repairs on NJ's crappy roads.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/how-chris...al-piggy-bank/

Why was there no money? NJ corruption and high wages and crazy pension system have got to be part od the reason.

Also I met a man who did mechanic work for state related projects. He claimed every little job required the ok of 4 different bosses and with way too many little inefficiencies built in.
Which was ILLEGAL. But of course, when lawyers do illegal things, it's not as illegal as when everyone else does it.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Status: "WTH is happening!!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: I don't know these days
7,025 posts, read 4,801,750 times
Reputation: 4520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Which was ILLEGAL. But of course, when lawyers do illegal things, it's not as illegal as when everyone else does it.

Hope you're doing well my friend. As I've been told to my face by people who know, the illegal activities go down the line from "X" percentage of the State Police/local politcians/gangs/other entities together = A LOT of illegal BS goes on "behind our backs" funded by the NJ taxpayer. Corruption at its "finest".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2019, 11:12 AM
 
16,433 posts, read 6,342,674 times
Reputation: 6541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
Christie at least tried to audit the Port Authority. He at least recognized the messed up budget and tried to be thrifty. Murphy is just spending away.
No, no,...........he didn't and no Murphy isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top