U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 10:03 PM

42 posts, read 31,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Except that bigger is NEVER better. Bigger school districts does not provide a better education for students. There is less accountability. That is why New Jersey schools and those in the northeast are so highly regarded. Same goes for police and fire protection. Or zoning and development decisions. Do you really want those decisions made in some city faraway? I doubt it. Jay
Even with consolidation, NJ is still rich and small enough that these issues won't really matter. Instead, we keep competing with each other instead of working at a regional level to help make us more competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 05:24 AM

22,639 posts, read 37,205,255 times
NJ needs more clean energy initiatives, and hemp farms to repair the polluted soils.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-03-2019, 07:55 AM

2,377 posts, read 1,431,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
NJ needs more clean energy initiatives, and hemp farms to repair the polluted soils.
I agree. NJ also needs better public transportation, and not just for getting in NJ. Rush hour roads are congested and deadly.

One of the major problems in NJ is NYC and Philadelphia to some extent. The highest paid state residents work in NYS, use some of the state services but largely do not pay state taxes. NJ needs more high paying employers who would offer challenging career opportunities.

NJ has two great/good universities that have strong STEM/high tech departments, Princeton and Rutgers. They are relatively close to each other and could've supported a high tech area. Perhaps in semi conductors... Instead, they are located in Central NJ, congested, boring suburbia with practically no public transportation. This is not an area that would attract potential employees or employers.

NJIT is of course also an excellent high tech school. Unfortunatele, it is in Newark, not a very popular area as well...

I think to his credit, Murphy recognizes the need to help and encourage the development of high tech economy in NJ:

https://www.njspotlight.com/stories/...economy-in-nj/

https://www.njtvonline.org/news/vide...ation-economy/

Old 09-03-2019, 08:31 AM

8,256 posts, read 14,992,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I agree. NJ also needs better public transportation, and not just for getting in NJ. Rush hour roads are congested and deadly.

One of the major problems in NJ is NYC and Philadelphia to some extent. The highest paid state residents work in NYS, use some of the state services but largely do not pay state taxes. NJ needs more high paying employers who would offer challenging career opportunities.

NJ has two great/good universities that have strong STEM/high tech departments, Princeton and Rutgers. They are relatively close to each other and could've supported a high tech area. Perhaps in semi conductors... Instead, they are located in Central NJ, congested, boring suburbia with practically no public transportation. This is not an area that would attract potential employees or employers.

NJIT is of course also an excellent high tech school. Unfortunatele, it is in Newark, not a very popular area as well...

I think to his credit, Murphy recognizes the need to help and encourage the development of high tech economy in NJ:

This is where Newark has to receive a lot of investment from the state. It's the only city that could/should handle this burden. Jersey City is already too NYC-facing. Trenton is too isolated for now. Newark, though, has all the NJT trains, NJT buses, light rail, PATH, and Amtrak for commuting purposes. It already has a very very solid urban footprint.

I do believe that Atlantic City deserves some really strong investment away from the entertainment sector. It's really the only major urban footprint with beachfront properties in the Mid-Atlantic. It has a rail terminal, an airport, and large areas that can be urbanized very easily. I can't think of anywhere else similar. I know there have been new businesses opening there like a research hospital or something?

If AC and Newark were properly invested in, NJ could rely more heavily on itself. And, if we could turn Camden into the Hoboken of South Jersey.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 AM

63,204 posts, read 59,904,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Hope you're doing well my friend. As I've been told to my face by people who know, the illegal activities go down the line from "X" percentage of the State Police/local politcians/gangs/other entities together = A LOT of illegal BS goes on "behind our backs" funded by the NJ taxpayer. Corruption at its "finest".
LOL, yes. I remember some years ago being horrified by the idea that a Hudson County political group was merrily OK-ing blowing up a chunk of the Palisades so that a new strip mall with a Starbucks could be built. I never heard any more about the story because the FBI walked in, arrested 40-something people in the Hudson County government and took their computer files.

But, I also knew that their replacements would just be the next set of corrupt hacks who probably tipped off the FBI in the first place so that they could get in and do their own political machinations.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:17 PM

22,639 posts, read 37,205,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post

Most likely you're right. I hate to say it, but if you live in NJ and work in NY, you should be paying state taxes to both states. I've never worked in NJ, always worked and lived in NY so I don't know what that's like.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey