U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:27 PM

19 posts, read 95,123 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am 28 year old single, male computer engineer. Recently moved to NJ but still haven't fixed a place to live yet.

I make about $90K a year, am generally wise with money so I don't want to just throw my money on rent. I have a BMW 328i so I would want a place where I can park it without worry and ofcourse have a parking space. I like going out and would prefer places where they have a singles scene or atleast some life, though I am willing to travel for pubs and clubs if required (even to NYC if the commute is available all nite and is safe!)

I have my office in Edison, NJ but I wouldn't have to go there often. I have a travelling job so I would want to save on rent if I can. I am open to spend about $700-$800/month on a room sharing with anyone.

From what I could search on this forum, Hoboken is outrageously expensive and Jersey City and Newark aren't safe at all.

Please advise on which places do you think are good places to live for me. I am from Chicago and have absolutely no idea about this side

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 02:29 PM

531 posts, read 2,012,114 times
Check out New Brunswick. You may like it. It's less expensive than JC, Hoboken or Newark and safer. But it's not Mayberry safe, by any means.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:53 PM

687 posts, read 3,053,036 times
Cranford might be a good possibility. It has nightlife, is safe, and isn't insanely expensive.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 PM

1,551 posts, read 4,291,762 times
Honestly, if you're a single guy in your twenties who makes decent money (as you do) and you're looking for a social scene ... I wouldn't get any further away from NYC than Jersey City. Preferably, Hoboken or Manhattan itself.

You've got plenty of time to live in suburban NJ, and no matter how nice the social scene is on a small-scale in smaller towns, nothing can compare to the city (and the immediate surroundings like Hoboken) for a single person who is new to the area and looking for a social life.

New Brunswick has Rutgers kids nearby, but they're probably in a different social scene than you are at this point.

Just my two-cents. Welcome to NJ anyway!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Nice answers

Thanks everyone who has replied so far. More suggestions welcome

Old 04-07-2008, 06:33 PM

323 posts, read 1,965,070 times
I'd recommend Hoboken as well, yes... a little costly, but am sure with a good realtor you can find something reasonable.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:33 PM

75 posts, read 280,383 times
You could find something in Hoboken with that price range. Granted it might not be an amazing place and you would need an apt. with parking space or pay for a space, but I would at least investigate that first. You can't beat the nightlife as a single there. You could also try Weehawkin, Edgewater or Seacacus, but none will have any of the appeal of Hoboken. Certain parts of Jersey City are fine with re: to safety.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanks ppl. Hoboken seems to the place to be. One question though, how much time will it take to travel from Hoboken to Edison which I might have a do for a week or so every couple of months. What would be more convenient and less time consuming, train (public transport) or driving down?

I would be travelling during the peak office hours.

Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 PM

4,142 posts, read 9,615,865 times
Yea Hoboken is great if your single and into nightlife. Maybe check out Weehawken as well. its right by Hoboken and you can probably save some money there

Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 PM

71 posts, read 299,528 times
Default Dude? Where's my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage79 View Post
Hi,

I am 28 year old single, male computer engineer. Recently moved to NJ but still haven't fixed a place to live yet.

I make about $90K a year, am generally wise with money so I don't want to just throw my money on rent. I have a BMW 328i so I would want a place where I can park it without worry and ofcourse have a parking space. I like going out and would prefer places where they have a singles scene or atleast some life, though I am willing to travel for pubs and clubs if required (even to NYC if the commute is available all nite and is safe!)

I have my office in Edison, NJ but I wouldn't have to go there often. I have a travelling job so I would want to save on rent if I can. I am open to spend about $700-$800/month on a room sharing with anyone.

From what I could search on this forum, Hoboken is outrageously expensive and Jersey City and Newark aren't safe at all.

Please advise on which places do you think are good places to live for me. I am from Chicago and have absolutely no idea about this side

Thanks.
You make 90k and you only want to spend $800 a month? I make like half that, and I spend twice that for rent. Good luck man. You want someone breaking into that beemer. No where in North Jersey fits that criteria. All too expensive. You can try Fort Ree. Might find a studio at that price in an illegal 2 family. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey