Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:41 AM

280 posts, read 339,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I don’t consider anything outside of lower Bergen, lower Passaic, Essex or Hudson as a close inner-ring suburb of NYC (Staten Island doesn’t count). Why are people listing towns in Morris, Somerset and Middlesex?
Because lots of people commute to NYC from those counties, duh. Bernardsville has 2 bus companies and a train that will get you into the city in an hour or so. You could drive yourself in that time as well. People don't have to limit themselves to the close-in towns you listed which don't really have the beauty/character and space people are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 03:39 PM

86 posts, read 105,116 times
Depending on what part of Manhattan you're commuting to, IF you got the dough, maybe you should consider a move to Northeastern Monmouth County. You can easily take the Seastrek ferry (either in Sandy Hook or Highlands) and take it up to the city. From what I've heard, it's a pretty peaceful commute. You would arrive at Lower Manhattan within 45 minutes, an hour at most. From there, you could easily transfer to wherever in Manhattan you need to travel to. That region also has train service, but admittedly it's a rather long route, hence why many opt in taking the ferry. But people theoretically do it though, I know towns like Red Bank and Long Branch garner a lot of NYC commuters on the NJ Transit line that runs through them.

The towns in that region, such as Atlantic Highlands, Middletown, Rumson, Red Bank, Fair Haven, etc., are also pretty pristine and well kept. Far enough away from the hustle & bustle of North Jersey, while still being conveniently close to the easy access of NYC (not to mention the Jersey Shore to the slight south and orchards & thoroughbred estates to the slight west).

Northern Middlesex is another gem that doesn't get too much attention. Towns like Highland Park, Woodbridge, Edison, Metuchen, Dunellen, etc., are right next to the NJTPK, and from there it's a relatively decent drive from there to up to NYC. They also have tons of transportation options, the Metropark in Edison being a popular way. I know a few people whom would drive up to Metropark and board the trains up to NYC from there. From what I've heard, it's about 45 minutes (on a good day), maybe at most an hour.

Those are some more underrated areas within the suburbs of New York City that would be worth your attention. You'd definitely get better bang for your buck than towns of similar socioeconomic caliber within North Jersey. And, like one poster already alluded to, unfortunately, getting into the city under 45 minutes, is highly unrealistic for most of the state (even when considering some of the most easternmost sections of the state that border Manhattan, such as much of Hudson County).

Old 07-01-2020, 03:49 PM

86 posts, read 105,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
Because lots of people commute to NYC from those counties, duh. Bernardsville has 2 bus companies and a train that will get you into the city in an hour or so. You could drive yourself in that time as well. People don't have to limit themselves to the close-in towns you listed which don't really have the beauty/character and space people are looking for.
THIS. Could you really blame them? Not everybody wants to be packed up beside each other like sardines, just for the sake of having a slightly easier commute.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:02 PM

214 posts, read 350,744 times
Exactly, a bus ride from a place like River Edge, Livingston or say Scotch plains to PABT ranges from 45 min to 1 hr. Whereas a bus ride from Rockaway, Monroe, Clinton takes about 55 min to 65 min on average. All of these towns are at least 45+ miles away from NYC. The difference being that those buses all operate as express bus and operate via Rt80, NJTP and 78. The train rides are also kind of all 50+ min from Metro Park, Princeton Jct, Madison, Morristown, Westfield, Scotch Plains. It becomes faster for certain commute, if somebody going to lower Manhattan, because PATH trains are typically not delayed while crossing the tunnel, in comparison to NJ Transit, but you do have to fight your way, if you want a seat in PATH (forget about it, if you are taking the PATH from Harrison). This is why it might be a bragging rights to say, I am 16 miles from Manhattan, and they indeed can drive quicker to Manhattan via car. Other than that, commute wise, Jersey City gold coast is the only place where commute is significantly better to both midtown and downtown (downtown being super nice). But we all know how is Jersey City.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:38 PM
bn1

128 posts, read 205,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDude View Post
Overall, Wayne seems fairly nice. It just needs a good downtown to bring everything together and a little bit of character. But if you're just looking for suburbia with good schools then it probably checks off all the necessary boxes.
I was born and raised in Wayne. It's a nice town, but will never have a downtown for the foreseeable future. Dont quote me on this, but I remembering hearing that not having a downtown was supposed to be one of the defining characteristics of Wayne.

It checks off all the boxes, but it always felt lacking in charm. After spending 3 decades there, you would think I'd feel at least a little sentimental about Wayne after moving away. Strangely, not one bit. But sometimes that's not important. It does have good schools, good programs for families, and the lakeside homes are a dream. Traffic has gotten progressively worse since the days when Rt 23 was a 2 lane road, and the Wayne Hills mall is sadly dead (I used to prefer it to Willowbrook). The commute to NYC is doable - on a good day the express bus gets you into the city almost the same time as from Fort Lee. There are at least 2 bad days a week, on most weeks. In that way, living closer to the city gives more consistent commute times day to day.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:36 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
Exactly, a bus ride from a place like River Edge, Livingston or say Scotch plains to PABT ranges from 45 min to 1 hr. Whereas a bus ride from Rockaway, Monroe, Clinton takes about 55 min to 65 min on average. All of these towns are at least 45+ miles away from NYC. The difference being that those buses all operate as express bus and operate via Rt80, NJTP and 78. The train rides are also kind of all 50+ min from Metro Park, Princeton Jct, Madison, Morristown, Westfield, Scotch Plains. It becomes faster for certain commute, if somebody going to lower Manhattan, because PATH trains are typically not delayed while crossing the tunnel, in comparison to NJ Transit, but you do have to fight your way, if you want a seat in PATH (forget about it, if you are taking the PATH from Harrison). This is why it might be a bragging rights to say, I am 16 miles from Manhattan, and they indeed can drive quicker to Manhattan via car. Other than that, commute wise, Jersey City gold coast is the only place where commute is significantly better to both midtown and downtown (downtown being super nice). But we all know how is Jersey City.
Nonsense.

Rockaway Mall to Port Authority is, at best, 60 minutes to the PA at 6:20am and goes up to 90 minutes at 6:50am. The Ridgewood /Rt 17S Park and Ride bus stop is 31 minutes to the PA at 6:23am and extends to 35 minutes at 6:53am and is 44 minutes at 7:45am.

Distance matters. Less mileage from NYC is a shorter commute.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:54 PM

214 posts, read 350,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Nonsense.

Rockaway Mall to Port Authority is, at best, 60 minutes to the PA at 6:20am and goes up to 90 minutes at 6:50am. The Ridgewood /Rt 17S Park and Ride bus stop is 31 minutes to the PA at 6:23am and extends to 35 minutes at 6:53am and is 44 minutes at 7:45am.

I commute via Rockaway mall, I can tell you that its mostly on schedule (I have been doing for one year now). And notice that the schedule does take into account the congestion as day progresses. So after 7am, its no longer 60 min, but 70-75 min. I typically take the bus between 6:30-6:45. But I have taken buses at 7 and 7:30 too.

http://www.lakelandbus.com/wp-conten...Downtown-7.pdf

Yes Ridgewood does have an noticeable advantage, if you are starting at 7:45am and so does other towns which are transit hub like Montclair, Metro Park if you time the public transport well. But you need to have a good budget for a house to stay in a matchbox house. Its the towns which are stops before Ridgewood, that takes more time, because of these stops. I mentioned River Edge but not Ridgewood, which are few stops before Ridgewood.

Update: Also have observed that the lines for bus for locations closer to Manhattan in port authority are significantly bigger (they don't always have more frequency!!) compared to distant buses . I see those people, in line.. utterly bored.. watching their smart phone.. while I cross the lines, and board the bus directly with may be 10-20 people ahead of me. Coming back the closer suburb people need to add that additional wait times in PABT.

Last edited by kosb; 07-02-2020 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: Added return commute bit

Old 07-15-2020, 06:21 AM

33 posts, read 75,180 times
Hello - I'll post here a link to my detailed overview of Pelham and Pelham Manor, which many have found to be useful in considering these communities.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/west...-overview.html

Old 07-15-2020, 08:59 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
I didn’t say it’s not possible to commute from those counties. However, the question specifically asks CLOSE-IN suburbs, which these places are NOT. Simple reading comprehension. Duh.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:10 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Nonsense.

Thank you! People here are saying bus commutes from Somerset County to NYC take an hour. Maybe on paper, but 9/10 times you will hit traffic and that commute will be at least 90 minutes. They must not live in the same traffic-snarled, accident-prone, crazy-weathered state we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey