Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 04:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,939 times

Advertisements

By this I mean places less than 45 min by car- to say Times Square maybe 1 hr or so by public transportation.

This includes, but isn't limited to, Hoboken, Englewood, Jersey City, Cliffside Park, Union City, West New York, Fort Lee, Fairview, Palasades Park, Ridgefield, Weehawken. Guttenberg, North Bergen, and maybe Leonia. Really not much further out than those.

Which are the easiest commutes?

Which are the least congested?

Which are the most economical?

What are your impressions of the places you've been to?

Thanks- I just haven't seen a recent thread that discussed the entire picture.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 04:45 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
During rush hour, a 45-minute commute by car is tough from a lot of those towns. Your best bet is to use the Lincoln Tunnel, which takes you almost right into Times Square. So to answer your questions:

Which are the easiest commutes? Weehawken. That's where the tunnel is. If you live right by the mouth of the tunnel, I suppose you could drive a car to the tunnel, through the tunnel, and a couple of avenues over to Times Square in 45 minutes most days. Each tenth of a mile farther away adds to the commuting time.

Which are the least congested? Weehawken has the most traffic congestion (Lincoln Tunnel) as well as Fort Lee (GWB). The farther you get from those, the less congested it gets.

Most economical? Englewood and the less-desirable parts of JC would have the lowest housing costs, if that's what you mean.

What are my impressions? The towns you listed have a lot of similarities. Very urban, densely populated. Key differences might be the types of buildings/apartments available for rent or purchase, ethnic enclaves, etc. Downtown JC and Hoboken are more affluent than most of the other places listed. Downtown JC is also an outlier because it has much more highrise development than any other town listed.

Most people who live in these towns and work in NYC will use transit. It's faster, cheaper, less stressful most of the time. Driving into NYC, especially at rush hour, just isn't wise, IMO, especially when you have the types of transit options most of the towns you selected have (PATH, bus, jitney, ferry). And buses get their own express lane in the tunnel, which keeps them moving when cars are congesting the other lanes.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:04 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,939 times
Thanks - yes what you say makes sense and driving would not be a viable option much of the time.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 PM

173 posts, read 216,217 times
I lived in Union City for a couple of years to save money and I would never recommend it. Almost feels like a forgotten town. Grimey, not safe, big ordeal to get to any decent restaurants or stores (because there are none in union city and there are an astonishing number of red lights between union city and any destination), and still takes a while to get into port authority because of red lights/traffic/no access to bus lane in the Lincoln tunnel. Yuck.

These days I would only consider Leonia, Fort Lee, Edgewater, Weehawken, Hoboken or JC.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
I've gotten to Midtown in a little over 20 minutes from West Orange. Of course not rush hour.

To some degree it depends on where you're going in NYC. If you're going to midtown, Weehawken is hard to beat; you've got buses and the ferry and you can drive if you like to suffer a lot. Note the ferry bus to Times Square is pretty slow because of traffic; a bus into Port Authority gets you much closer and is cheaper, though less pleasant.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:03 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,538 times
Montclair is really the only Jersey town that has blown me away. I also like the better parts of Jersey City even though its not technically a suburb.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 01-04-2019 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Montclair is really the only Jersey town that has blown me away. I also like the better parts of Jersey City even though its not technically a suburb.
Montclair is very nice. Taxes insane, and schools aren’t top tier, but if you don’t about that and work in midtown it’s a great place.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:03 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,633,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
I lived in Union City for a couple of years to save money and I would never recommend it. Almost feels like a forgotten town. Grimey, not safe, big ordeal to get to any decent restaurants or stores (because there are none in union city and there are an astonishing number of red lights between union city and any destination), and still takes a while to get into port authority because of red lights/traffic/no access to bus lane in the Lincoln tunnel. Yuck.

These days I would only consider Leonia, Fort Lee, Edgewater, Weehawken, Hoboken or JC.
The lights stay red? That is astonishing

Seriously though, how long has it been since you’ve lived here?

Old 01-04-2019, 09:10 PM

88,532 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
By this I mean places less than 45 min by car- to say Times Square maybe 1 hr or so by public transportation.

This includes, but isn't limited to, Hoboken, Englewood, Jersey City, Cliffside Park, Union City, West New York, Fort Lee, Fairview, Palasades Park, Ridgefield, Weehawken. Guttenberg, North Bergen, and maybe Leonia. Really not much further out than those.

Which are the easiest commutes?

Which are the least congested?

Which are the most economical?

What are your impressions of the places you've been to?

Thanks- I just haven't seen a recent thread that discussed the entire picture.
They're all pretty congested. These are cities and towns that were built out 50+ years ago because of their close proximity to the city. The people who lived there when they were actually suburbia are dead, and their children long ago moved deeper into NJ for larger lawns and houses.

A little more than fifty years ago, race riots drove the "white flight" out of the city and into the suburbs, and the population growth in northern New Jersey has not stopped since.

ETA: I've always had the impression that Leonia has more of a suburban feel, but I have not been through it in years.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-04-2019 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The lights stay red? That is astonishing

Seriously though, how long has it been since you’ve lived here?
The lights don't have weight sensors or anything else to detect traffic. Even if there is no other traffic you sit through tons and tons of red lights waiting for non-existant side traffic to come through. Sounds funny, but wait till you spend 20 minutes trying to get to the nearest acceptable grocery store in Weehawken (which is still horrible).

Also reminds me of when they shut down one of two lanes of a local arterial access road for Lincoln tunnel for road repair for 6 months and deployed a team of like 2 construction dudes to do the work. Added an extra 15 minutes to my commute for 6 months. If you aggregated all the time that was wasted as a result of this move, it would be multiple human lives.

No one seems to care about this town or the people that live there. Really sucks to be lower middle class.

Moved out in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey