Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,589,346 times

Advertisements

so how is it that we should accommodate retired seniors in a state with high property taxes? dont make them pay for the schools? what about people with no children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 10:50 AM

520 posts, read 987,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so how is it that we should accommodate retired seniors in a state with high property taxes? dont make them pay for the schools? what about people with no children?

Perhaps the state should give equal amount to all school districts. The state should increase the income tax from current income tax rates to whatever it takes for schooling.

Property taxes should be used only for police, fire and other municipal activities.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 AM

32,851 posts, read 36,171,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
It very sad that Mecical Issues are the number one reason for bankruptcies in the US today❗️
It is. Front row seats come at a very high cost.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:01 PM

88,302 posts, read 84,331,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
can NJ retirees afford property taxes...NO!

the air train debacle, 40 mill on a committee, and 30 mill for tech experts.... money to come from property tax to make it easier for non residents to use the airport.

The system was built in 1996 and 'revamped' in 2000. This speaks to the lack of planning, gross underestimates for the project and the golden dart used to toss at the calendar, pinned to the dart board, to come up with a date of completion.

Nothing has changed, infrastructure projects are a black hole, poorly managed, at taxpayer expense.

"It is unknown when the project would begin or end and PANYNJ has not publicly estimated the cost of a new system. Port Authority commissioners have authorized spending $40 million on planning consultants for the project and $30 million on technical experts."

Now we know why NJ is called the garden state... it speaks to the easy harvest from the infinite cornucopia, in the form of open taxpayer wallets.

NJ is the perfect storm of befuddled and confused voters and corrupt politicians.

NJ is the one place where the sage wisdom, 'this too shall pass away' does not apply.
Can you explain what you are talking about here? The internal monorail system at EWR or the proposed PATH to EWR project or both? And how do taxes come into play on a PA project?

Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,484,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Fund schools through income tax.
Basically make the whole state an Abbott

Old 01-24-2019, 03:56 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,590,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
Perhaps the state should give equal amount to all school districts. The state should increase the income tax from current income tax rates to whatever it takes for schooling.

Property taxes should be used only for police, fire and other municipal activities.
Why,most locals take pride in having good schools .

Old 01-24-2019, 07:42 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,954,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
It's ignorant of some to think that when people get into the bind you talk about to assume it's for lack of planning.
Mensch tracht, und Gott lacht.

Man plans, and God laughs. This is something my mom used to say all the time. And it's true.

You can do all the right things in life, but in this country, with our batschidt crazy healthcare system, everyone is 1 cancer diagnosis, or 1 catastrophic health crisis (either for themselves, or for a spouse or kids) away from losing all their savings, retirement accounts, and their house. I've seen it happen. It doesn't matter how good (you think) your insurance is.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:43 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,954,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Again? By the time that I was in my 20s, I knew that someone, anyone, could lose everything that they'd worked and saved for.

I'll never forget the guy whose wife was dying from brain cancer. Though I worked for the dark force, the insurance company, I did everything that I could to help him. I asked my supervisor and manager for help. I hoped that they could.

His wife was going to die. He'd spent all of his savings and had taken out loans. He was going to lose his house. He'd hit his lifetime max on the policy. Yes, there is a lifetime maximum -- at least on some policies.

He was in his 40s. I was twenty one. We held hands and cried.

My father had already been drop kicked out of his thirty year pension at 29 1/2 years.
You are a good person, Gerania.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:12 AM

19,069 posts, read 25,230,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And how do taxes come into play on a PA project?
Of course, tax revenues have nothing to do with the administration of the PA, or the financing of its projects. However, you have to realize that the person to whom you were responding is the same one who, a few months ago, stated that Menendez had cruised to his recent election victory because "his district was Gerrymandered".

At that time, I asked him if he understood that Menendez's "district" is the entire state of NJ, and I asked him to explain how an entire state could be Gerrymandered. Of course, I never received a response.

The bottom line is that some people will bloviate on a topic about which they know little--or nothing.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:46 AM

520 posts, read 987,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Why,most locals take pride in having good schools .

If the locals still want to contribute in addition to what they get from the state they should be able to do it. But let the state send equal amount of money per student to all school districts and the amount should be whatever it takes to give a decent education. Lets say $15,000 per student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey