Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,384 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am interesting in buying my first (and forever) home in NJ with a great public school system and a commute of up to an hour to downtown Newark. The maximum amount we can spend is $500K. Everyone keeps recommending Bergen county but are there any specific towns you recommend in or out of Bergen county?

Friends also recommended Roxbury but it seems like the commute to Newark would be closer to 2 hrs which is too long for me.

I appreciate any advice you can provide.

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 11:29 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
After living in Bergen County most of my life, I moved to Mount Arlington, which is surrounded by Roxbury. Mount Arlington sends its high school students to Roxbury High School and most shopping in this area is located in Roxbury, I’ve gotten to know the town moderately well. Bergen County I know like the back of my hand.

Roxbury to Newark can be as little as 40 minutes each way without traffic. The problem is that Route 80 and sometimes Route 280 traffic at Rush Hour can be horrific. Figure an hour each way on a typical day.

Roxbury will be significantly cheaper than a comparable town in Bergen County. Succasunna is probably the nicest and most “Bergen County-like” of the town sections. Ledgewood is also nice. The town, and area as a whole are more rural in nature than Bergen County. You could probably find something decent for $350,000 - $400,000.

If you want to blow the whole $500,000 and can afford another $3,000 or so per year in taxes, you could probably get something decent in Fair Lawn, Rutherford, and possibly Waldwick or Midland Park. The commute to Newark will be better (30 to 35 minutes without traffic, and while Garden State Parkway/Turnpike traffic can be bad at rush hour, it’s not as bad as Route 80 traffic). The schools in all four towns are probably a bit better than Roxbury’s. Bergen County towns are smaller and more densely populated than the larger Morris County suburbs.

Bergen County is easier to navigate, but has bad local traffic. Shopping options are a lot better in Bergen County, especially food/restaurant wise. Roxbury has lots of trees, lakes, and wildlife.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-19-2019, 06:24 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
After living in Bergen County most of my life, I moved to Mount Arlington, which is surrounded by Roxbury. Mount Arlington sends its high school students to Roxbury High School and most shopping in this area is located in Roxbury, I’ve gotten to know the town moderately well. Bergen County I know like the back of my hand.

Roxbury to Newark can be as little as 40 minutes each way without traffic. The problem is that Route 80 and sometimes Route 280 traffic at Rush Hour can be horrific. Figure an hour each way on a typical day.

Roxbury will be significantly cheaper than a comparable town in Bergen County. Succasunna is probably the nicest and most “Bergen County-like” of the town sections. Ledgewood is also nice. The town, and area as a whole are more rural in nature than Bergen County. You could probably find something decent for $350,000 - $400,000.

If you want to blow the whole $500,000 and can afford another $3,000 or so per year in taxes, you could probably get something decent in Fair Lawn, Rutherford, and possibly Waldwick or Midland Park. The commute to Newark will be better (30 to 35 minutes without traffic, and while Garden State Parkway/Turnpike traffic can be bad at rush hour, it’s not as bad as Route 80 traffic). The schools in all four towns are probably a bit better than Roxbury’s. Bergen County towns are smaller and more densely populated than the larger Morris County suburbs.

Bergen County is easier to navigate, but has bad local traffic. Shopping options are a lot better in Bergen County, especially food/restaurant wise. Roxbury has lots of trees, lakes, and wildlife.

You will only pay $3000 per year in taxes if you have a time machine. Did you mean $3000 per quarter?

Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You will only pay $3000 per year in taxes if you have a time machine. Did you mean $3000 per quarter?
Another $3,000 above what taxes would be on a comparable house in Roxbury, Queen.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:10 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Fords, the section along new Brunswick ave. Run up the parkway, about 18 minutes on a good day.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Fords, the section along new Brunswick ave. Run up the parkway, about 18 minutes on a good day.
"Run up the parkway?" Are you kidding? Maybe at 3am. The section of the Parkway between exits 135 and 145 is one of the most congested sections of highway in the entire state.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:01 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
"Run up the parkway?" Are you kidding? Maybe at 3am. The section of the Parkway between exits 135 and 145 is one of the most congested sections of highway in the entire state.
I've traveled up the Parkway four times in the past week. Once to Bergen County last Saturday, twice to Newark for medical appointments.

That IS the worst part of the Parkway. I am not sure that the five miles before 145 isn't backed up even at 3 a.m.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:03 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
How about Verona or south orange?

Old 01-20-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

Thank you very much zhelder. This was really helpful. I will definitely look at the suburbs you suggested.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
How about Verona or south orange?
Thank you for your suggestion foodyum. Verona and S. Orange are in our list as well. Asking prices are right at the end of our budget and taxes appear to be a little high, but definitely worth exploring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey