Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 PM

37 posts, read 168,686 times

Advertisements

Thank you Shanny.. I am very excited about this. My DH tells me that you can always make changes to the house but you cannot change the area where the house is on... I like that area, it is over by a private greenway..I think Greenacres... Anyone familiar with that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinegirl View Post
Susan VanOver with Gloria Nilson in Middletown is very good. Makes the process fun...
Susan VanOver huh.... as in Stinegirl? LOL.. You guys are funny!
Oh see where were you guys 2 months ago when I was asking around???!!! LOL..

Old 05-03-2008, 02:41 PM

99 posts, read 326,171 times
Actually no, Stinegirl is from my first name, Christine.
But thanks for thinking I'm funny!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinegirl View Post
Actually no, Stinegirl is from my first name, Christine.
But thanks for thinking I'm funny!!!
LOL... you guys make me laugh.. makes this board fun!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:36 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Buy the WORST house in the BEST neighborhood! Not the other way around!
Oooh, you gotta be a pretty self-effacing person to do that, with small ego and no vanity.

I know someone, call her "B", who, when asked what neighborhood she lived in, always got, "Oh! What a great location!", and she'd turn downcast and mumble, "Yeah, but we have the worst house on the street." Shanny's suggestion sounds smart, but if you're even a bit of a keeping-up-with-the-Joneses type ("B" is not, btw), this choice will not be easy to live with.

Maybe find an average house in an average neighborhood?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Oooh, you gotta be a pretty self-effacing person to do that, with small ego and no vanity.

I know someone, call her "B", who, when asked what neighborhood she lived in, always got, "Oh! What a great location!", and she'd turn downcast and mumble, "Yeah, but we have the worst house on the street." Shanny's suggestion sounds smart, but if you're even a bit of a keeping-up-with-the-Joneses type ("B" is not, btw), this choice will not be easy to live with.

Maybe find an average house in an average neighborhood?
Realtors always say what Shanny suggested. Even the worst house will go up in value in a good location, but with a bad location a house could go down drastically.

Diane G

Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,196 times
Ah, but the realtor doesn't have to live in it, drive up to it every night and see it set among better houses thinking "Mine." The buyer does.

In this age of McMansions, what increases in value is the land, not the house. Are you buying a home or are you making an investment? Probably both. You have to weigh the two.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:42 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
Okay...maybe I wasn't very clear.

Buy the worst house, fix it up and be happy. I surely don't suggest you leave it the way you bought it initially.

Our home technically is the worst house on the block. It needs updating.

At the end of the day, I bought the house at a rock-bottom price and I did all the cosmetic fixes to make it my home.

If (and I mean if) I sell, I will have a less chance of losing $$ because I chose the better neighborhood.

Shanny

Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Ah, but the realtor doesn't have to live in it, drive up to it every night and see it set among better houses thinking "Mine." The buyer does.

In this age of McMansions, what increases in value is the land, not the house. Are you buying a home or are you making an investment? Probably both. You have to weigh the two.
I am curious.. like you said in the age of McMansions... when you build a house like that, what DOES increase the value of the house, area, or land? From an economic point of view... Does it increase the value of your house.. or no? Is it the house? Or the land that bring that value?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
Did you hear about the Pennsauken house that was the Exreme Makeover house from last summer?

They made it this garagantuan house among a bunch of modest, older homes in a so-so neighborhood.

The people cannot afford the upkeep so now they want to sell it. They originally listed it for $499,000 in an area that has homes more in the 180-200k range. It will never sell due to the fact that it won't be financed. What bank is gonna give a loan in an area where it's neighbors homes are worth more than half of that?

According to today's paper, it was yanked off the market after one day. A lot of people are upset they are trying to sell it.

Geez, Louise!

~Shanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey