Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are thinking of buying a house in NJ and are going to drive around and look at some areas over the weekend. If you have any thoughts on the following places or others nearby I'd love to hear them. We're planning to stay for 3-5 years and will hopefully have a child while we're there but don't have any now. We'll both be commuting to NYC at least until one comes along. We're looking at houses up to 275,000 and don't want a condo or development. We don't expect a palace for that price, we'd be fine with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath if the rooms were human sized. We'd still like a good school district even though we probably won't be using it.

Right now we think Hazlet, Keyport, Middletown, Aberdeen, Matawan. We have friends in Union Beach but I don't think that's the right place for us. Being that close to the beach, or any water is not important to us. In fact I want to stay clear of anything that might be in a flood zone. Cliffwood seems to be in that area but I don't know anything about it. We don't need to be close to hip, hot places -haha. But I'd like to be able to walk to SOMETHING. If that makes sense. I confess that I don't know that much about NJ and I'd hate to miss something on our little fact finding mission! I'm sensing Hazlet will be tough in our range but we're not in a rush and we do want to be in close proximity to that area specifically. Being close to the commuter bus is also important - I'm not shelling out for that ferry. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM

133 posts, read 713,001 times
I love Hazlet, great town. But the other towns you have listed are good too. I would rank Middletown ahead of the rest (probably even higher than Hazlet) but certain areas of Middletown are better than others. I would stay away from Cliffwood and Union Beach and Keyport.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,315 times
I agree with Precator.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 AM

Thanks, guys. I guess that explains all of the houses in Keyport. Can't wait to start looking!!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:43 PM

161 posts, read 767,486 times
Bought a house in Hazlet in NOV 07....love it here....so conveniently close to everything. Don't let snobs from Holmdel and Middletown bash Hazlet..

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM

haha, thanks. In everything I've read and everyone I have spoken to I have really never heard a bad word about Hazlet. What sort of paradise are you guys living in? Unfortunately with all of the rain this weekend I guess I'm going to be seeing everything at it's worst! Actually, that's probably a good thing. If you liked your realtor, would you mind sharing who you used?

This might be a strange question but - can you walk to anything there? Or is it really a drive everywhere kind of place? I've only been to a street not far from Airport Plaza and I don't think I've ever seen a person outside. Would I be the neighborhood nutcase if I was out bike riding and walking? Thanks!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 AM

I live about 1/4 mile from Airport Plaza and familes do walk around. More walking than biking though. Usually a married couple taking a stroll, etc.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM

Default Monmouth County

I have been noticing more and more people interested in Monmouth County lately. Finally our great county is getting noticed. I will say it again, I would much rather live in Monmouth County than live like a sardine in North Jerey in a POS cape .

Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 AM

161 posts, read 767,486 times
We used Lucy Starr from Remax on RT 9...very nice to both of us.

Its nice here...by no means is a gorgeous dream area...but i just love it here....We live near the baseball fields and we like to walk in the areas. Since we live on the south side of 35 and live closer to holmdel, there are much more rural routes to ride bikes on.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 AM

37 posts, read 168,630 times
I am in the same boat with Irish Eyes....

I am torn between this house we saw in Keansburg that was gorgeous.. but I am not sure of the area.. so close to the school. Then we saw this other house in Aberdeen, gorgeous area.... so nice, but on the smaller side... very nice, the nice side of cliffwood we were told.. any ideas? please toss in your thoughts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey