Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 07:16 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post

I feel like in the northeast they are trying to force people to buy all the junk that the baby boomers have destroyed -- and fix them up. I can't tell you how much junk I saw while looking. Thus I am looking to the south for the next move -- there is just tons of new housing at reasonable prices.
The reason there is so much "junk" around here is because the housing stock is so old. When I was house hunting in Essex County 10 years ago, there were many houses where I would pull into the driveway and turn around before even setting foot in the house. They were that bad. If you go down South or to the Midwest it's a lot different with lots of new housing stock being built everywhere.

Another point I want to make is that a real estate agent is not your friend or advocate. They may lead you to believe they are looking out for your best interest, but at the end of the day they want to sell you a house so they can get paid. They are really no different than a used car salesman (or any other type of sales person working on commission).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 08:21 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Another point I want to make is that a real estate agent is not your friend or advocate. They may lead you to believe they are looking out for your best interest, but at the end of the day they want to sell you a house so they can get paid. They are really no different than a used car salesman (or any other type of sales person working on commission).
+1
The bottom line is that real estate agents are working for both the seller and for themselves, and no matter how much they might smile, they are NOT working for the benefit of the buyer. Even if a shark smiles at a swimmer, that creature is still a shark, and is not to be trusted.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:41 AM

275 posts, read 213,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackGirl View Post
Each time I found a home, I find something highly unappealing. I have made offers for homes in Manville, Howellx2, Netcong, Hackettstown, even far as Phillipsburg and now recently Woodbridge. I’ve been through 8 real estate agents, 3 attorneys, and 2 inspectors. All of which are dishonest and motivated by greed.
Middlesex- garbage Home. But so desperate for a home that I made an offer. House appraised for exactly the amount of what the seller is offering. Tenants are living in the property. The owner wants full appraisal amount for the house without ever making any repairs in the house. And I recently found out today this POS owner owns 9 other properties. Sidewalk is settling towards the house so that water drains into the basement, ceiling is leaking, but yet they want full appraised value of the home.
I have lived in Woodbridge since 1999. And in 2012 I bought my first home. It took me a few years to narrow down the location, amenities, and price. This town is highly under rated, then again it works in people's favor as the property taxes, convenience, and value of homes are a far cry from those in Bergen, Essex, and even Union County. I work in NYC and I have two lines (North Jersey Coast Line and Northeast Corridor). Usually I take the one line because is closer to home and the other in case of emergency like. Needless to say, I can take the 116 or 112 bus direct to NYC. The township and county is large you just need a bit of patience as the buying home experience entails just that. Work with as many realtors and use as many online tools. But most importantly do not get desperate or frustrated. At the end, these virtues will pay off.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:14 AM

862 posts, read 975,776 times
You work in NYC, you are looking at homes close to the Pa border? Maybe that's the problem or you cannot expect a real estate agent to waste time, they only make money when a house is sold and do not get paid by the hour. Also is you are in the price range of houses that need work well that's what you get, you get what you pay for.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:31 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
You work in NYC, you are looking at homes close to the Pa border?
I also found that to be... curious.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I also found that to be... curious.
I would say "ridiculous" is a better way of putting it.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:13 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The reason there is so much "junk" around here is because the housing stock is so old. When I was house hunting in Essex County 10 years ago, there were many houses where I would pull into the driveway and turn around before even setting foot in the house. They were that bad. If you go down South or to the Midwest it's a lot different with lots of new housing stock being built everywhere.
But it seems like an active conspiracy where I am. The new homes that are being built are at least 50%- 55+. That means that the baby boomers can vacate the horrible homes that they didn't take care of and move into something new. Forcing the younger generation to deal with the homes that weren't taken care of.

In addition the prices for general new construction are just insane. Effectively pricing out most people. They are building new condos near me and they start at 500K homes at 650K (not luxury at all). At the same time there seems to be a real conspiracy not to build new homes to force people to buy the old housing stock.

I see a solution to this problem as real estate crowdfunding. Flippers can use loans from crowdfunders to rehab homes and sell at a profit but reasonable price. The only thing is right now there isn't enough of these companies out there and not enough good flippers.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:54 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
buy a condo closer to nyc or look at parispanny

Old 01-27-2019, 11:11 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Most of the housing stock in NJ is crap. Old and used up. Even stuff from the 90s is ready for an overhaul.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackGirl View Post
Uggh. I’ve literally been in the housing market for 13 months. Like the average NJ resident, I live in NJ and work in NYC. It’s literally “hell on wheels” to find a New Jersey home. It’s frustrating, depressing, demoralizing, and any other adjectives you can think to describe the New Jersey homebuying experience.

Each time I found a home, I find something highly unappealing. I have made offers for homes in Manville, Howellx2, Netcong, Hackettstown, even far as Phillipsburg and now recently Woodbridge. I’ve been through 8 real estate agents, 3 attorneys, and 2 inspectors. All of which are dishonest and motivated by greed.

Manville-The house I saw in manville was beautiful with a basement. problem- Flooding issues;

Howell- beautiful 3200sqft home. Problem- couldn’t get permit for new septic tank and front porch was settling

Howell 2- 2500sqft home, on 0.7 acres. This was real estate agents fault. Stupid woman didn’t know there was an upstairs. The seller made an offer 2 days later with another buyer.
Fired her right away.

Netcong- the attic was breathtaking. Ample room in the house. Except, I’m not really a fan of well water.

Hackettstown- beautiful home with an HOA. Problem. Too far from nyc. Overpriced. Cost too much to travel from New York to Hackettstown. It was a homepath property. Dropped $25,000.00 after I saw it.

Phillipsburg- again beautiful home. However, i recently discovered that Warren, Hunterdon, and Sussex counties are on the list of counties with very high radon counts. The house I saw had no radon mitigation unit. Levels were quite high. Stupid agent didn’t know what a radon mitigation unit. Couldn’t purchase this home.

Middlesex- garbage Home. But so desperate for a home that I made an offer. House appraised for exactly the amount of what the seller is offering. Tenants are living in the property. The owner wants full appraisal amount for the house without ever making any repairs in the house. And I recently found out today this POS owner owns 9 other properties. Sidewalk is settling towards the house so that water drains into the basement, ceiling is leaking, but yet they want full appraised value of the home.

Since I started looking for homes in 2017, the housing values have dropped. I think what real estate investors thought was that people from Brooklyn and Staten Island were going to sell their homes for millions of dollArs and move to NJ thereby increasing the property values. But people from Staten Island and Brooklyn are skipping New Jersey and moving elsewhere. The property taxes are too high, which I think will cause property values to decrease. Too many renters and not enough supply. Too many people and not enough units. Too many people, no units, and no jobs. Who’s going to pay the teachers, doctors, nurses?? Most real estate agents are very dishonest. I haven’t met not one that’s not dishonest. Houses are useless in NJ due to high property taxes. Maybe I should purchase a condo?? Perhaps I should leave.
at some point you have to figure out that the only constant with all of your problems is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey